Author Topic: Noel Black "Rhinoceros" twin engine streamliner 400mph?  (Read 52535 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Noel Black "Rhinoceros" twin engine streamliner 400mph?
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2009, 08:24:05 AM »
That big hemi out in front would have given the frt axel way more weight for traction that the rear axel which would have been lightened somewhat---might explain why the frt eng got more POP.---

I find it facinating to hear from folks who heard or heard of drivers coments about some of the more unusual cars of the past 60 years K-L dual eng truck --polly wog and others come to mind.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2009, 11:29:43 AM »
As we all know, different IS Bonneville. Think traction....

RIP Noel

well spoken michael!
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2009, 10:59:56 PM »
   Model A     How many 400 mph streamliners have you designed and built???????????????????????????

NONE               JMO

Gary Cole      DCWATERJET Z
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »
   Model A     How many 400 mph streamliners have you designed and built???????????????????????????

NONE               JMO

gary:

it is easy for those that don't have a clue to ridicule others.

motion I was covering speeds that al teague and nolan white wouldn't approach for another 20-years.

i guess that, in itself, is proof that motion I was a valid design.

i believe it was noel's intention to have flex in the streamliner's chassis.

mickey t's autolight 'liner was quite similar in design to motion, in that the front engine drove the front end while the rear engine drove the rear end.

driver placement was different.

mickey had an injected cammer up front with a blown cammer in the rear, which had the opposite effect on traction that motion did.

mickey t never approached the speeds noel did with motion.

nobody else approached the speeds noel reached for over 20-years!

criticism, however, will continue forever because everybody else has their own theory on why the car crashed.

most of those theories have been formed by those who have never set inside a land speed racer.

it used to be that it was commonly accepted that non-traditional approaches were embraced, or at least accepted.

now people don't seem to like non-traditional approaches to land speed racing.

this is why front wheel drive is frowned upon by those who want to push the rear of the car around the front; rear wheel drive is accepted because it is the way we've done it for years.

look at the competition coupe category.

how many cars have been built for comp. coupe that have looked beyond the chopped '34 or studebaker or some other stock body with a belly pan?

it's what has been run for years.  so, it is accepted as the way it should be.  even though there are some really small coupes out there that are smaller, without a chopped top, than some bonneville comp. coupes.

tom burkland is the only person who has taken any type of advanced steps in the use of body styles for comp. coupe.

there was a lot of scuttlebutt going around the salt in 1969, due to the article in the deserett news when burt and noel ran motion at bonneville raceway, about the drag racers trying to break the land speed record... like everybody suddenly forgot about the modified roadster that burt and noel successfully built and ran, or the gas roadster before that.

for whatever reason, there has been a general negativity about motion I from the first time the car hit the salt.

that is why i attempted to "hijack" this thread by creating a new thread.  there are too many out there that continue to call motion I the rhinoceros.

it is the general negativity about motion I; it was prevalent in 1969 and '70 and it continues in 2009.

i don't know if it was jealousy or what.

but, it is sad that that negativity continues almost 40-years later.
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2009, 04:39:51 PM »
DR Rock, 

I am a Johnny come lately to LSR.

I can barely recall the proper title of Motion I, but I guarantee you that I admiringly recall the car, (and the fact that it went FAST a long time before others) as the " Rhinocerous". 

To me that has contations of hard charging, no nosense, all out, Damm the Torpedoes Full Steam Ahead.  From what I have read here that pretty well sums up the car and Noels attitude.  A pretty good legacy I would say!!!!!!!! I have a soft spot in my heart for Hot Rodder multi eng cars.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:48:48 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2009, 07:01:50 PM »
I can barely recall the proper title of Motion I, but I guarantee you that I admiringly recall the car, (and the fact that it went FAST a long time before others) as the " Rhinocerous".

i'm sure that burt and noel felt the same way about calling "motion I" the "rhinoceros" as howard hughes felt about calling his h-4 "hercules" the "spruce goose".

it's a matter of respect for the memory of the vehicle and the men.

respect for the memory of the vehicle and the men who built it.

you'll never hear anyone who has ever had anything to do with "the redhead" call it "the coke bottle" just because some journalist said the car had a waste like one.
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2009, 07:51:09 PM »

Thanks for all the input and pictures on the Motion 1 after doing research on it the design was perfect well thought out with a great driver and team. The sad part of it is it didn't get a chance run to its full performance level differaint factors traction, stability of the salt serface. We lost a very well built streamliner and a great driver to conditions out of there control. The great part of this is you brought forward info and pictures that many of us never seen or new about. The Motion 1 I learned a lot from you and others here. Its great that there work and effort will never be forgotin thank you

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2009, 09:09:32 PM »
The human mind works and thinks in images---a Rhino & Spruce Goose is more vidid and easier to recall than Motion 1 and Hercules might have to do with why it stuck---now RED HEAD with the image of the car---sticks in this FEEBLE brain!!!!!!  sorry---I have been aware of NOEL and his associated car for almost 40 years!!!!!!!! from the Salt to the MAGS!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jim Demmitt Jr

• NHRA T/S 7360
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2009, 12:17:15 AM »
Posting pictures for Dave (Model A coupe):

landracing.com restricts picture height to 400 pixels so click on the thumbnails for the larger images:

Mike

I will look for this at the Bakersfeild March Meet, they have a swap meet area with the old drag and LSR books there is a person selling them each year
AR Ford Boss Hemi 526ci
Jim Demmitt Jr. Racing NHRA T/S 7360
Blown Alcohol 57tbird

JDR Web page
http://fordflashback.com/jd_fords.asp
A/FX- Pro Stock Rare Factory Ford drag cars

Offline Jim Demmitt Jr

• NHRA T/S 7360
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2009, 07:34:12 PM »

Here are some photos from F.R.D.R on Motion 1 good picture of the engine and the driver the fastest direct drive streamliner
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:37:46 PM by Jim Demmitt Jr »
AR Ford Boss Hemi 526ci
Blown Alcohol 57tbird

JDR Web page

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
the name of the car was "motion I"
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2009, 07:55:21 PM »
jim:

you are so insistant on being noticed you move picture from one subject, with the real name of the car, to one that you started with the wrong name of the car.

your attempt to associate yourself with everything land speed is pathetic!

you need to dry up and leave!
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline Jim Demmitt Jr

• NHRA T/S 7360
Re: the name of the car was "motion I"
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2009, 08:47:47 PM »
jim:

you are so insistant on being noticed you move picture from one subject, with the real name of the car, to one that you started with the wrong name of the car.

your attempt to associate yourself with everything land speed is pathetic!

you need to dry up and leave!

Why start trouble?

I posted these for Gary and others interested to enjoy the historic streamliner
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:38:40 PM by Jim Demmitt Jr »
AR Ford Boss Hemi 526ci
Blown Alcohol 57tbird

JDR Web page

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2009, 08:50:55 PM »
Jim
Stop  it now. We don't want another pizzing contest.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2009, 08:57:22 PM »

Here are some photos from F.R.D.R on Motion 1

What is F.R.D.R ?  Who are you giving credit to, I am not familiar with those initials.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2009, 09:32:35 PM »

Here are some photos from F.R.D.R on Motion 1

What is F.R.D.R ?  Who are you giving credit to, I am not familiar with those initials.

Tom G.

Franklin Ratcliff and Demmit Ratcliff?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O