Author Topic: Modifications to the 2009 rules changes  (Read 23071 times)

dwarner

Re: Modifications to the 2009 rules changes
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 10:59:46 AM »
If you read the rule closely you will find the words "...shall have an engineered and tested SFI spec 38.1 type head and neck restraint system."

The thinking behind this is while some products may not have the SFI cert, such as the Issacc, the testing was done before the product was released to the public. What the board is trying to accomplish is culling out "home made" systems that will not have had extensive testing.

DW

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 11:16:05 AM »
Has anyone talked to these manufactures and found out if they have ever tested their product in the lay down position? How far your head can snap forward when the base of your helmet is already resting on your chest? When I'm seated in the liner the back of my helmet is up against the headrest and the front base of the helmet is touching my chest. With an inch of clearance on each side where can my head go?

That's a good question. You would think that it can't go anywhere. The dynamics of a crash are beyond what we can comprehend as possible. If you have a 10G impact, and way beyond that is possible, you are going to put 10 times the weight of your head against your neck and spine in a millisecond.

The head and neck restraint is going to save somebody's life, it might be yours.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

dwarner

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 11:18:28 AM »
I was told that if you hold your arm straight out from your body that is how far you will move in a severe frontal impact. Picture a nose down landing from 10-15 feet.

DW

Offline GH

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 11:21:28 AM »
Dan, i'm glad you mentioned the issacc (sp) because that's what we have had since 05.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 12:19:23 PM »
Bill,

I'll be interested to see what you find out at the PRI since we have similar cars and height issues.

If some common solutions per car type can be found maybe we can arrange some group buys from the manufacturers or distributors. Maybe a SCTA/BNI discount.

When was the last time you heard the term "Racers Net" for pricing?

Tom

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 12:52:59 PM »
Tom, the last time I got screwed.............. :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 02:26:59 PM »
What is the "Issacc"?

Pete

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 02:53:20 PM »
When I "(Click on the image below for crash video.)" I get:

The webpage cannot be found
 HTTP 404 
   Most likely causes:
There might be a typing error in the address.
If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

What you can try:
     Retype the address. 

Go back to the previous page.

Go to  and look for the information you want. 

More information

This error (HTTP 404 Not Found) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but the page you wanted was not found. It's possible that the webpage is temporarily unavailable. Alternatively, the website might have changed or removed the webpage.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

???

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 03:02:51 PM »
If you read the rule closely you will find the words "...shall have an engineered and tested SFI spec 38.1 type head and neck restraint system."

The thinking behind this is while some products may not have the SFI cert, such as the Issacc, the testing was done before the product was released to the public. What the board is trying to accomplish is culling out "home made" systems that will not have had extensive testing.

DW

Ok, call me dumb or something, but are you saying as long as the company has tested the product and sells it as a head and neck restraint like the Isaac or the Safety Solutions D-cell that it is permissible to use those products even though they don't have a SFI 38.1 tag on them??

Here is from Isaac's site:

Does Isaac® meet SFI 38.1 performance levels?
Yes, Isaac® outperforms all other products in SFI testing. However, it is not "SFI certified". For more information on this subject, click here.

I guess that I would feel good about it except where does their base model fit into this when it says:

The Isaac® Link™ ($295)
The new Isaac® Link™ was designed for racers who are on a tight budget and want a good head and neck system, but don't want to invest in a great one. It doesn't work as well as other Isaac® systems, but is the best product every tested in the under $500 range. The Link™ uses certified mil spec parachute webbing (not dog leash material) in place of the damper assembly to reduce costs.

If restraints like the above and the Safety Solutions C-cel are "tested" but don't have an SFI tag on them and SCTA allows us to use them and we decide to use them and set our cars up for them will we be assured somehow with maybe revised wording that we won't have to change within a year or so to ones that do have a tag??

Thanks,

Sum

Isaac:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/html/product.html

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 03:05:22 PM »
Thanks John. The product looks really interesting. What keeps the parts that attach to the belts from rolling on down the belts under load?

Pete

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 03:49:17 PM »
Wow, a lot of geat information on Head and Neck Safety Restraints.....

Sum....great comments.  I called Isaac Systems and left a message about their New Restaint System that sells for $295....I asked if it is 38.1 certified and also asked them if they will be at the PRI Show....nothing back yet.  On another note, when are you coming through KC?  Geoff said we could all get together....let me know.

Tom, the Isaac System looks great for our cars, as it is the less space intensive of the one's that I have seen (thanks GH also for your information).  Our Hans (circle track car) takes alot of space behind the back and I don't think will work with our cars.  We will have to check all the rest before making any decisions.  Racer's Net.....whats that???  I prefer WD Net....

John, thanks for the information on the Isaac System.  Although I am a long ways from making my mind up, this looks like a good system that makes sense and I like their video on a system being tested.  Just prefer the SFI rating. 

Don, thanks for the input on the intent of the rule.  You guys are doing a great job!

Peter Jack, go on Isaacdirect.com and watch the video.  It will show you how it works....
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 03:54:23 PM »
Before everyone see's it....scratch the comment I gave John...."Just prefer SFI Rating"....I know that Isaac's have been tested and I am sure they are SFI rated....my comment related to the new Isaac "Link" System only.....Thanks!
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 04:05:59 PM »
I tried and for some reason the video wouldn't come up for me. Don't you just love technology! :roll:

Got it right after I posted. Comment still applies.

Pete
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:10:47 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 04:16:25 PM »
I really like the principle but I still don't see how the anchor points on the shoulder belts would be retained from sliding on the belts in a full laydown situation such as a streamliner or some lakesters.

Pete