Author Topic: Doug Herbert Wheel Driven Record Streamliner update  (Read 15423 times)

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

Re: Doug Herbert Wheel Driven Record Streamliner info (Picture)
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 11:11:23 PM »
 Goldenrods future?

I know the car was restored and there was some talk of instaling new up to date high power Hemi's in it and trying for the record again? is there any future plans for this to take place?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:15:14 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 11:35:58 PM »
The Goldenrod is in the Henry Ford Museum, let's keep this topic for the Herbert car and if you want to add something like the GoldenRod please start a new topic on it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:41:54 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 11:09:17 PM »
Doug Herbert update 12/13/08

Doug talks about the Land Speed operation

Doug Herbert sits in his office and taps away on two keyboards while talking on his office phone, texting on his cell phone, and answering questions from employees who pop in and out throughout the morning. Herbert, a drag racing veteran who has competed in the NHRA Top Fuel class since 1991, is usually glad to have the time offered by the short off-season to be at home and catch up on business at Doug Herbert Performance, the high-performance parts shop he owns in Lincolnton, N.C. However, this year is different. Most of his focus is still on drag racing.

After the announcement by Snap-on Tools that the company would be ending its long-standing relationship with Doug Herbert Racing, Herbert immediately went to work to find a new sponsor for the 2009 season. Herbert still needs to answer many questions before the season opener in Pomona, but what he does know about that first weekend in February is that the one place he doesn't want to be is in his office in Lincolnton.

"The thought of not racing next year is just weird to me," said Herbert, who scored his 10th NHRA victory in Norwalk this year. "I've been traveling and racing at dragstrips across the country for nearly two decades. I can't imagine what I would do with myself if I wasn't racing. I know I can't do it forever, but I'm just not done yet. There's too much I want to do out there and so much that I still want to accomplish."

One piece of unfinished business that stands out in Herbert's mind and tops his list of goals is winning an NHRA world championship. The California native, who became the third Top Fuel driver to run in the 3.7s this year, has earned four IHRA titles but has yet to clinch an NHRA Top Fuel championship.

"My IHRA championships came early in my career, but lately I've been getting closer and closer to scoring an NHRA title," said Herbert, who posted his highest NHRA points finish, sixth, in 2005 and 2007. "That's really what we're all out there racing for, the championship, and I don't want to quit until I've earned one."

Herbert also sees the continuance of his drag racing career as a way to grow the nonprofit organization he founded in memory of his sons, Jon and James, who were killed in a tragic car accident in January 2008. BRAKES (Be Responsible and Keep Everyone Safe) aims to promote safe driving among teenage drivers and their parents to prevent injuries and save lives.

Doug Herbert has at least two unfinished items of business: He'd like to win an NHRA world championship, and he's eager to continue to grow support for his BRAKES safe-driving foundation.

"There's a lot I can do for BRAKES here in Charlotte, but drag racing gives me the ability to talk about BRAKES and what we have under way on a national stage, not just a local one. Like when we ran the BRAKES dragster at the Charlotte race, which probably exposed millions of NHRA fans to the foundation and its cause."

In his search for a new sponsor, Herbert hopes to find a company that not only can benefit from placement on his high-horsepower machine but that also is interested in partnering with BRAKES and building on the great work that Herbert has done with the foundation.

"It was a real bummer that Snap-on left drag racing, but we had a lot of great years together," said the driver, who posted his 11th top 10 points finish in 2008. "But this is an opportunity to find a company that will benefit from everything I have to offer, including the race team, BRAKES, and the land-speed car."

Currently building a car that he will take to the Bonneville Salt Flats next summer, Herbert plans to compete in the Unlimited Streamliner class and attempt to set a new land-speed record. He sees this project as an added opportunity for companies interested in NHRA. By being involved with the land-speed car, a company can reach an added and different demographic.

"With BRAKES and the land-speed car, I have a lot of great stuff going on, but drag racing is what I do," proclaimed Herbert, who made four semifinal and seven quarterfinal appearances this year. "There have been times when I've considered taking a step away from it, especially after the boys' accident earlier this year. But being in this situation, facing the possibility that I may not be able to race next year, has made me realize that it's exactly where I want to be. I'm going to do everything I can to make sure I'm out there next year competing for trophies and a Top Fuel championship."

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 11:13:18 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 08:33:38 PM »

Info on the LSR project

Here is a little older article that they talk about his streamliner I guess August is the planned run date. This is from TR Thats Racing.com web site

Link to article
  http://www.thatsracin.com/242/story/16391.html

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Doug Herbert Wheel Driven Record Streamliner update
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 07:27:30 PM »
If you take a look at nhra.com, Doug Herbert's blog, there's an update on the streamliner. It sounds like he'll have a lsr website open shortly.

Pete

Offline Doug Herbert

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 03:14:37 PM »
Hey Guys,
I have never posted on the site before. It seems like a great place to discuss land speed.
Most of the people seem to have a pretty good attitude, and just like in every crowd there are a few people that are smarter than the rest of us.
I want to make one thing perfectly clear. We are building a car to attempt the wheel driven record and we have a goal of going over 500 mph.. But, and that is a big one I have been racing for a long time and I have a pretty good idea that there is at least a million things that I do not know about racing at the salt. All I can do is get people to help us with this project that have some understanding. Believe me I do NOT want to come across as a know it all in any way. I know that Burklands have been racing at the salt for a long long time and it would be foolish to think it would be easy to go faster than they do with out a bunch of work, trial & error and experience. I have nothing but the up most respect for the Burklands and in fact all of the other racers that I met this past year at the salt. In fact I talked to Tom for a couple hours and learned a BUNCH! We are not building this car because we think it is going to be easy, we are building it because we know it is going to be a huge challenge and we are hoping to have allot of fun.
Thank you for your help and support!
Doug

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 03:20:13 PM »
Hey Guys,
I have never posted on the site before. It seems like a great place to discuss land speed.
Most of the people seem to have a pretty good attitude, and just like in every crowd there are a few people that are smarter than the rest of us.
I want to make one thing perfectly clear. We are building a car to attempt the wheel driven record and we have a goal of going over 500 mph.. But, and that is a big one I have been racing for a long time and I have a pretty good idea that there is at least a million things that I do not know about racing at the salt. All I can do is get people to help us with this project that have some understanding. Believe me I do NOT want to come across as a know it all in any way. I know that Burklands have been racing at the salt for a long long time and it would be foolish to think it would be easy to go faster than they do with out a bunch of work, trial & error and experience. I have nothing but the up most respect for the Burklands and in fact all of the other racers that I met this past year at the salt. In fact I talked to Tom for a couple hours and learned a BUNCH! We are not building this car because we think it is going to be easy, we are building it because we know it is going to be a huge challenge and we are hoping to have allot of fun.
Thank you for your help and support!
Doug

Welcome to landracing.com and thanks for laying out your intentions.  I think that what you've said will go a long ways towards all of us appreciating your goals.  Hopefully your post will be the first of many.

The best of luck with the car,

Sum

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 03:30:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I think I can safely say that your words are appreciated. I think I can also safely say we have all been humbled many times by the great white dyno. Looking forward to seeing your creation.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 03:36:19 PM »
Doug, welcome to the fray... I think if I were you I'd probably fire my point man on this site, but that is another story...

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,5506.0.html

Many of us suspected you knew this is not an easy task, it is not just going faster than the guy next to you this time, it is going faster than anyone else in history.  
We all look forward to seeing your machine on the salt.  If there is anything anyone can do to help, just ask, there is a lot of knowledgeable folks hang around here.
Be safe, have fun, go fast,
see ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RichFox

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 04:17:17 PM »
Welcome to the site. I know that you have had plenty of advise and experience concerning your LSR effort. I never thought anything else. I believe you must have grown up with salt in your  blood. There was just a bad start here. I doubt it had anything to do with anyone involved in your effort.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 04:27:34 PM »
This last Friday I was at Dick Holts shop and he showed me the Front wheel drive quick change for the liner he had built for Doug and Chet. It's a real nice piece of hard ware. When I talked to Doug at the drag races at Las Vegas and at Bonneville he was on a hunt for serious information and what it was going to take to build and run on the salt. Everyone has respect for him and he knows it's a not going to come off the trailer and set a record the fist time. 

Lets us know when you get the web site up.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 04:55:42 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2009, 06:38:53 PM »
Doug, as the guy that has the pleasure (?!) of owning this site, I'd like to extend my official (?!) greeting to you.  Thanks for joining the Forum.  I hope you'll be a regular here -- at least to read the stuff, and - when your schedule allows it -- to post and tell us what you're doing.  You're welcome to ask dumb questions -- there are lots of dummies here that'll be glad to share their knowledge with you.  (That was meant to make you feel less intimidated, not to slam the folks on the Forum.  You knew that, didn't you?).

If there's something I can do for you - from the aspect of the guy that has the control panel for this site - let me know.  I'll be glad to put a link to your site in the "links" page here, and when you've got something in the way of a release or other big news -- I'll put it on the front page so that everybody has an extra chance to see it.

Welcome.  Oh, yeah -- stop by our pit this summer (Seldom Seen Slim LSR) and trade t-shirts, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com