Author Topic: Doug Herbert Wheel Driven Record Streamliner update  (Read 15422 times)

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

Doug Herbert Wheel Driven Record Streamliner update
« on: December 06, 2008, 12:22:23 PM »
 Doug Herbert

I got this info from my drag racing freinds little news on his streamliner and to get the wheel driven record below is the update

After the NHRA finals race I spent Monday visiting some friends in SoCal including Marty the Party and Marty Sr. After the visit with Marty I headed up to meet my friend Lyle Larson. Lyle is helping us with the land speed Bonneville car so we went up to visit the guys at Vortec superchargers and talked to them a little about possibly running superchargers on the land speed car instead of the twin turbos. This idea is still a bit up in the air but one thing that we know for sure is that the car will be powered by two, Dodge Viper engines that will make about 2000 hp each. The car is four wheel drive. My dad Chet Herbert has done most of the design on the chassis. Some of my other friends helping the project along are Ray Evernham, Chris Nachtman, Hans DeBot, Greg Fornelli, Michael “Fatback” McSwain, and Barry Dodson. Keith Adams is the project leader and has been working on the car for the past couple months, we are hoping to have it ready by summer of 2009 for a test session.

One of the coolest things I’ve done that I want to tell everybody about is going out to Bonneville with my buddy Hans DeBot and Keith Adams, who’s the guy doing the work building the Bonneville car. We took off and went on a trip to Bonneville and spent Thursday and Friday there and had a lot of fun. We met some of the guys out there, Tom Birkland, who has the land speed record now, at 417 mph. We talked to him quite a bit, also some of the SCTA officials. Lee Kennedy, the head tech guy from SCTA, he really took care of us out there. They were super nice to us, ran us around, and everybody showed us their cars. We had a great time!

The neat thing is the rules for the class; the class we’re racing is unlimited streamliner. The rules are really simple; the cars need to have four wheels basically. So it’s a lot of creativity, a lot of our own engineering. What I thought was really cool is that everybody’s car at Bonneville looks different, they’re all different, and they’re all special. It’s just kinda like the original hot rodding place, you just go up there and you go as fast as you can. For anybody that hasn’t seen that movie The World’s Fastest Indian, with Anthony Hopkins, I recommend going and getting that movie. Once you see that movie you’ll understand why we’re building this Bonneville car. I’m excited about working on the project; it’s going to be a great thing to set the land speed record.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 08:29:54 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

dwarner

Re: Doug Herbert Wheeldriven Record Streamliner info (Picture)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »
"...friends helping the project along are Ray Evernham, Chris Nachtman, Hans DeBot, Greg Fornelli, Michael “Fatback” McSwain, and Barry Dodson."

Some pretty impressive names there.

DW

Offline CTRon

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 12:46:07 PM »
you think all them nascar boys will be able to figure out how to make a car go straight for five miles instead of going in circles? :-D
maxton 2 club member 205.188mph  A/BFR
loring 2 club member 219.807mph  A/BFR
Wilmington 2 club member 202.702 A/BFR
bonneville 2 club member 225.003 XXF/BGRMR

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 12:59:08 PM »
When we were at the salt with the Russ Wicks project his "crew chief" Aaron come over to the LSR side to visit for a while. He was really stoked about straight line stuff. I think they can figure it out.

Since the NASCAR class thread went away Aaron doesn't post here any more.

DW

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 01:08:14 PM »
Doug sounds like he gets it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 01:13:47 PM »
Doug paid us a visit in the timing trailer at speed week and showed us drawings of the liner. I also talked to him at the Las Vegas drags about the car. They are well into the frame and mounting front and rear ends etc. They are very serious about running on the salt. I am hoping to see it in early April while back that way.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 01:30:39 PM »
I live about 2 miles from Herberts shop and am also building a streamliner for 2009, so I was very excited when I found out Doug was building a car. I talked to Doug about his car at a car show he had at his performance parts store a few weeks ago and he invited me by to check out the car.  There wasn't much to look at when i got there. There was two bottom rails that looked to be about 12 or 14 inch by 6 inch u-channel for the main frame rails. At first I thought it was the jig fixture but was told it was the actual frame. There was two mock up engines in place and a front and rear differential in place. That was all they had. Now I have been building race cars for top named race teams for the past 30 years, one team that FatBack worked for and know how much work goes into designing and building a car from scratch, so these guys are in for a ton of work to be ready for next year. If these guys get the car built ontime and set a record too, my hats off to them. One thing that Doug has going for him is the NASCAR boys know how to work under a tight schedule and have to get things done in a short time. As for the car going in a straight line instead or turning left, If they put half the NASCAR guys building the right side and the other half building the left side this should balance out the car and it should go straight (just kidding) Any way, I want to wish Doug and his team lots of luck and hope they achieve there goals for 2009.

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 01:39:11 PM »
Doug Herbert

They are a serious team and going after the wheel driven record is a neat deal we will see the name Herbert in the record books soon. Chet his dad has been into this LSR so long there resorses and the people in the project great team to challenge for the record. I wish them the best of luck in there effort. I will post up to date info as I get it

Offline Jeff Ryan

Re: Doug Herbert Wheel Driven Record Streamliner info (Picture)
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 05:02:46 PM »
I'm glad to see that this project is legit, and not just a bunch of hypothetical hogwash.  :-D

I guess that they're still running the Viper motors. Only time will tell what kind of potential they'll have...

I wish them the best of luck, though. I've always respected Doug as a drag racer. Even though they haven't been the most successful team in recent history, he always made the effort...often more so than others...  :cheers:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 07:38:25 PM »
I wouldn't want to be next to him if he gets "burned down" at our starting line :-D.....I hope all of them see we do things at a different pace at B'ville.... I'm sure his dad will give him the asssistance he needs. I look forward to his attempts........
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline racergeo

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 09:02:49 PM »

Even though NASCAR guys are doing the build Doug's driving experience is limited to straight line and for only 4 seconds at that! I met Doug at SW and I too look foward to seeing his car. I wouldn't give him the Trophy just yet though. I still think Burklands and the Diesel Max have a lot left in them. This new challange might give Marlo a little push as well.

"JackD, if your out there lurking, easy on the eggnog"

Offline pap

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 11:02:34 PM »
HELLO FRIENDS,I dont know anything about this kind of racing,i have a little intrest in it.I also think it is instreing to watch and applaud those who do it,it is a dangerous sport.I do however know BLOWN ALCOHOL,and he is a great friend,he know I his racing and know what he is talking about,he is a true hard core racer.im into NASCAR and FUNNY CAR in NHRA. :cheers: :cheers:
McBride Motor Sports
3-T-Bird SC
70-71 Ranger XLT
71-429SCJ Torino Cobra-4Speed
82-Chevy S10-350

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 11:34:22 PM »
HELLO FRIENDS,I dont know anything about this kind of racing,i have a little intrest in it.I also think it is instreing to watch and applaud those who do it,it is a dangerous sport.I do however know BLOWN ALCOHOL,and he is a great friend,he know I his racing and know what he is talking about,he is a true hard core racer.im into NASCAR and FUNNY CAR in NHRA. :cheers: :cheers:

Pap

Welcome to the world of Land Speed Racing its a great sport with many record setting cars and drivers. Here is Nascar Russ Wicks record setting Nascar at Bonneville info below

Wicks Sets New World Stock Car Speed Record in NASCAR Ford at Bonneville Salt Flats Seattle, Washington (July 25, 2006) – World speed record holder Russ Wicks recently established a new World Stock Car Speed Record in a NASCAR-spec Autodesk Ford Taurus of 222.623 miles-per-hour on July 3, 2006, at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. The previous milestone of 216.946 mph was set nearly 35 years ago by Bobby Isaac. Today’s announcement comes on the heals of the recent Honda Formula 1 team’s effort to break the 400 kilometer-per-hour (248 mph) speed barrier in Bonneville.

Wicks, of Seattle, Washington, is now the only living driver to have set official speed records of over 200 mph on land and water, as he also holds the mile record for propeller-driven boats of 205.494 mph, set June 15, 2000 in the Miss Freei unlimited hydroplane on Seattle’s Lake Washington.

Pap
 Also here is an interesting thread by Carl "Nascar team at Bonneville"
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,2936.0.html
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:08:25 AM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 03:42:46 AM »

You are a little behind on Russ Wicks. Russ ran DODGE after the FORD and moved his 222 to around 249. The car is currently on display at the Wally Parks NHRA Museum, I saw it tonight.

DW

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 01:12:50 PM »

Wicks, of Seattle, Washington, is now the only living driver to have set official speed records of over 200 mph on land and water

To my knowledge is Kitty (O'Neil) Hamilton still alive.....and she was da....mn faster than Rick on water and on land.....
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:31:59 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)