Author Topic: $ per HP  (Read 16688 times)

Offline jl222

Re: $ per HP
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2008, 12:07:38 AM »
when you say how much to build the engine are you talking just the
long block and intake/injectors?
If so my 4 Cly. comes in at:    1260 hp/123 ci/$5400.00
                                         10.25hp per cubic inch  (approx.at) crank

I don't think so add in the turbo-efi-intercooler and dyno time :-D

JL222

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2008, 09:08:18 AM »
MM----You are so spot on----she "admires" that I have so---stayed after this for over 5 years it took me to get the "CAR" straight---littlerly and figureatively --LOL---she just doesnt understand  why I now would like to go even faster than it took for me to get my HATS  :evil:---I just need to find out what the RAT is capable of! :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 12:17:45 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2008, 10:59:28 AM »

Stainless, how much hp do you make with the 1000 in your sons bike?

Rex

Rex, the smartass answer is about 209 MPH worth....  :-o  :-D but really I couldn't tell you... It was on the dyno in 2003 when we ran production class, made about 170...  :| Only on the BWD since then, lots of changes and tuning.  Dyno is OK for basic tune, but it is hard to simulate 200 with a NA motor, easier with the closed system (turbo) in the car.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2008, 12:28:32 PM »
JNuts, the most I've given for a busa motor with everything, including all the crap I didn't use was $1800, and that one was in 2000 when there weren't a lot of them out there

...$ per HP... who cares...   

$ per MPH, matters a lot more, the last ones are always more expensive than the first ones... 

$ per RECORD... if you are keeping track you should find another hobby...

Like Larry said.... Red Hat ... yours or the ones you help facilitate... Priceless... 

There are many people that read this site that are considering putting a project together and never post. I have also seen projects linger on for years because finishing it cost more than could be spent, and usually is a result of not being realistic when budgeting.

A good comprehensive annalists of cost and how much money it would cost a person to build a competitive vehicle could very well save someone future heartache. It’s easy to say you shouldn’t worry about money and the future possibility of red hats is worth the sacrifice, I happen to agree but most people I know have too many bills and limited means to consider building a LSR vehicle.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2008, 02:05:03 PM »
JH---I admire your concern for your fellow racer---but it is almost always going to cost more than you can plan for or imagine---many choose the WRONG body configuriation to get it done. Many fail to consider it is TOTAL DRAG they are fighting, with their choice of trans, rear axe, and fluids---BUT, if one can THROW enough HP at it they can over come most things except litteraly flying instead of figureatively!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:   but your choices can some what limit what you will have to spend!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2008, 04:45:50 PM »
Well said Sparky
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2008, 05:24:37 PM »
I agree with Sparky and have a little to add.

Many people have unrealistic expectations based on their previous experience in other forms of motorsport.

The fundamentals of LSR haven't changed, we are fighting drag.

As Rex pointed out there are few disciplines that require an engine to run at WOT for five miles, if the horsepower solution is applied then an arms race with power on one side and reliability on the other quickly escalates , the more you spend on power the more you need to spend on strength and reliability to protect your investment.

Everybody wants to go 200mph , until they do, then it's not enough. Many people want to do it their "car of choice" , ...."just because"...Trucks, many many cars and roadsters have been pushed to outer limits of what would seem even plausible...to the casual observer it would seem that loads of power will get them there...they ignore traction and stability let alone aerodynamics, lessons that the record holders have learned slowly and mostly expensively.

On this site are just about all the answers, if not the answers then the questions to set you in the right direction. Budget racing is Formula V and Karts...this,LSR, is a strange search for something that most racers can't even quantify.

I have seen some cars here ( AUS) that were astoundingly fast for their cost , and some that are astoundingly expensive for their speed. Therein lies part of the attraction. Some are clever , some are hardworking , some are both and some are neither.

Determination, stubborness, genius , even stupidity and sometimes just plain luck are all part of the party....Jon Noonan hasn't gone over 200 200 times because he can find cheap 'busa motors, he boxes clever.

Do the research, almost nothing is new ,someone somewhere has probably thought of it already, learn the principles apply them and assess the results.........and?

.....................minimise drag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good thread Jonny. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008, 06:01:26 PM »
Lets see
For my little bike.
I started with 25 hp spent 500 dollars and got 28 hp 3hp for 500
So for me it was over 166 per hp.
The next 10 will cost 5000 dollars that is 500 per hp.
10 MORE could cost 25000 dollars that is what ? 2500 dollars per hp . Now we are talking about real money
They say speed is just a question of money .I say lots of money and a ton of work still wont go fast enough.

Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 10:31:12 PM »
 have seen some cars here ( AUS) that were astoundingly fast for their cost , and some that are astoundingly expensive for their speed.

Dr.G  this is SO--so true :cheers:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 11:49:37 PM »
JNuts, the most I've given for a busa motor with everything, including all the crap I didn't use was $1800, and that one was in 2000 when there weren't a lot of them out there...

$ per HP... who cares...  :-P :-P

$ per MPH, matters a lot more, the last ones are always more expensive than the first ones...  :wink:

$ per RECORD... if you are keeping track you should find another hobby...

Like Larry said.... Red Hat ... yours or the ones you help facilitate... Priceless...  :wink:

This statment is as true as it gets. I'll add blue hats too!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2008, 03:24:44 AM »
hey ya go nutz
200 hp
458 ft tq
0 sparkplugs
$29,000
kent

Offline gidge348

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2008, 09:01:46 PM »
If you are prepared to think outside the box there are some REAL power per HP bargains to be had.

How does 2700hp for $520.00.......that's 0.19c per hp AND it will make 2700 hp day in day out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Aviation-Parts-Gear__curtis-wright-3350-warbird-engine-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ290284717322QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2877QQddiZ2811QQadnZAviationQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20GearQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Aviation_Parts_Gear?hash=item290284717322&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Admittedly it is pretty big & heavy, (2700 lbs) but if a single row can be put in a tiny Goggomobil anything is possible... see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2V7B7-gdRA

Speces on the engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_R-3350

McRat

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2008, 02:08:15 AM »
With the Duramax diesel engines, the first 600hp is cheap, but the next few hundred are expensive.
Pullouts in excellent shape are from 3-6 thou, I usually pay $3000 for a dressed engine.  MSRP for new is $11000.

Tuning adjustments alone will bring the engine up to 500-550rwhp through full length exhaust and air filter, which is conservatively 600hp at the crank.  So about $5/hp.  But to bring the engine up to the 1000hp range takes about $20,000 worth of goodies added.

Guess if I was smart, I'd run two engines. :-D

racin jason

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2008, 02:22:37 AM »
hey ya go nutz
200 hp
458 ft tq
0 sparkplugs
$29,000
kent

Kent what do the batteries and controller cost? Or are they in the $29k price?
458ft/lbs at 1 rpm!

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2008, 11:54:15 AM »
$56.25 / HP

I must be sick.
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing