Author Topic: Age on tires  (Read 4331 times)

Offline cheap-n-dirty

Age on tires
« on: December 02, 2008, 12:14:45 PM »
How old can tires be that we can still run at over 200mph and what do we look for as to the condition of the tires?
old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiam every time

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Age on tires
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 01:50:26 PM »
Branded for speeds over 200, age not important for cars, still some very old Bonneville tires running on the salt. Al Teague ran 430 on 20+ year old tires...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 02:20:07 PM »
I keep mine mounted. Filled with nitrogen to only about 25#psi. Inside black garbage bag stored in cool dark place. Maybe overkill but the cost of new ones goes up every year.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 04:37:07 PM »
I've got new Mickey Thompson 30's on Taylor Wheels and want to keep them in like new condition for a long time to come.  Is airing them down the way to go?  I am going to run nitrogen next year also.  I have them wrapped up like you do.  On the front, I am running my spare set for my Funny Car from 1972 and they have never been mounted.  I  pulled them out of the bags, inspected them carefully, absolutely no cracks and ran them up to around 150 and they are still like new.  Someone told me to leave the air in them, and build a tire/wheel holder with a piece of tubing that will keep them off the ground for proper maintenance.  I've got my Funny Car fronts off the rims, because I had my rims powdercoated, so I will leave them off until next year, but I am concerned about making sure the rears are preserved for years to come.  Any comments would be welcomed.
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 05:14:35 PM »
The deterioration is primarily in the rubber. Heat, sunlight and oxygen are the evil components. Filling the tires with nitrogen and the storage bag is the best way to preserve them in the off season. Don't leave them on the vehicle in contact with the ground. Cool place. If your garage gets hot, put them in a closet in the house.

What do you mean the wife will complain? Dang women! If we built houses the right way it would be a 2 bedroom with 7 car garage. And the air conditioning would be in the garage.

Good week at work. Watched three tires explode so far! On a radial fatigue wheel tester. At 4350 lbs load on the tire, about 4 times normal load. Heck of a boom!

If the tires are cracked the rubber is compromised, and probably the ply cords and stabilizer belt too. What is the limit? Good question. You have to balance cost and availability against risk. Risk should win, but that's not always the case.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 05:26:32 PM »
..................... Dang women! If we built houses the right way it would be a 2 bedroom with 7 car garage. And the air conditioning would be in the garage..............

My shop is 1640 square feet and the house about 1200.

Goodyear told me to keep them about 15-20 lbs., if I remember right and in the plastic bags in  a cool dark place away from elect. machinery.  Mine are near the air compressor, but it doesn't run that much.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 09:43:18 PM »
My shop is 1640 square feet and the house about 1200.

Sum, you will never stand accused of having your priorities misplaced - not in my book, anyway.

Branded for speeds over 200, age not important for cars, still some very old Bonneville tires running on the salt. Al Teague ran 430 on 20+ year old tires...  :cheers:

Maybe I'm a nervous Nellie, but that just scares the bejeezees out of me.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
There are cars that are running with Firestone  18" Indy tires from the 50's and 60's and go over 200 with no problem.  I was told that unless the tires are shaved they start throwing rubber at about 230. Talk about being nervous. :-o
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 10:29:02 PM »
The tires Al ran to 308 & change on his lakester in 81 were shaved 18", 20 year old indys and were stamped (IIRC) 164MPH max. One of the officials came buy, drew a farm tractor type pattern in the wet salt on one of them and said "Al, if you're going to go that fast, you need to do something about better tires" or something to that effect. I've got a picture of it somewhere. Back then there was nothing else to run. All of the Mickeys were just as old and weren't readily available.

Ron Gibson, Omaha NE
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Freud

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 11:22:23 PM »
Take the same attitude with your tires as you do your military issued condoms.

If they are stored in the dark and partially inflated, you still have to balance the

risk with the use.

Load and Speed are the major factors.

In both instances, they are safe until they blow out.

Only the family cares.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 06:46:23 AM »
Thats good.  I like that analigy

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 01:43:22 PM »
Sum'

Re: "...in the plastic bags in  a cool dark place away from elect. machinery."

The reason for the reference to electrical machinery is due to the ozone that is produces by sparks or high voltage. My guess is that a TIG or plasma cutter would not be something you'd want too close to where you store your tires. An electronic air cleaner also generates quite a bit of ozone due to its high voltage so I wouldn't use one where you store the tires.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ