Author Topic: New rule change on electric fuel pumps.  (Read 39561 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: New rule change on electric fuel pumps.
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2008, 09:13:19 PM »
Mc Rat You are correct the Impact Speed of GM vech. into a SOLID concrete wall varys nearly 15 MPH on air bag deployment speed---but the Gs are nearly identical as Neal says.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bill78

• New folks
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2009, 01:10:50 PM »
What do some of you think about using an oil pressure switch in series with the inertia switch? The oil pressure switch could be bypassed with a push button to prime the fuel system to start the engine.

Bill

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2009, 01:34:05 PM »
Bill;

That should work fine if the contacts can handle the current you will be running through it. Make sure it is a pressure switch that has both contacts ungrounded and the contacts should open as the pressure goes below a few PSI-- not the other way. Yes, you'd need to use a NO (normally open) pushbutton switch in parallel with the oil pressure switch to start the engine and then hold it in until the oil pressure reached the actuation PSI of the oil pressure switch.

You could replace the pushbutton switch with a relay whose coil is placed in parallel with your starter solenoid. Then the bypassing the oil pressure switch to start the engine would be automatic.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, Az
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline dickj

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2009, 04:25:56 PM »
I've got a junk Lumina sitting behind the shop.  What does the GM switch look like, and where is it located.  Or is it not adaptable to our needs?  DickJ

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »
Does this rule amendment apply to motorcycles also as I am running out of room for fitting anything now!
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Chicane

• New folks
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2009, 04:54:38 PM »
Inertial shut off switch will be required on electric fuel pumps on 1-1-2010. What is an inertial switch and where can I get one.

FYI... if anyone is still looking for alternatives: http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=1186&action=product

This is an alternative to a used component.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2009, 05:20:21 PM »
I fooled a little with their low-res picture:

You can just make out the Ford oval in the upper left corner of the darker center section.  It's a Ford pn E1AE-9341-A2B (or current replacement pn).  I wonder how much they are new at the Ford store??

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Chicane

• New folks
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2009, 05:26:42 PM »
Actually... I think Ford gets about $32 for that very same part. Good call with the photo manipulation... I didn't even make out the oval in the picture on their site.

dwarner

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2009, 09:14:23 PM »
The rule applies to streamliners only, section 7.H:

7.H.8   Fuel Shut-off:
A remote fuel shutoff to disable pump operation that can be easily actuated from the rider compartment shall be fitted  All electric/electronic fuel systems shall have an inertial shutoff switch by Jan. 1, 2010.

The rule remains the same for all other classes:

7.B.2.3  Fuel Pump Stop Lanyard:
If the ignition kill lanyard does not shut off the fuel pump, the motorcycle shall be equipped with a tether-type shut-off device attached to the vehicle and the rider so the fuel pump is shut off if the rider becomes separated from the motorcycle.

DW

Offline RichFox

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2009, 10:37:11 PM »
If you want to buy new or live in a county that outlawed junk yards like I do, The part numbers are XF3Z9341AA for the switch and 3U2Z-14S411-NUA for the pig tail. Silver State Ford Parts online seemed cheaper that local Ford dealer. This one has an extra wire that will turn on a light to let you know the car is not running, if you need one.
I paid around $26 for the switch and $32 for the plug.

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2009, 12:42:16 PM »
On another subject (just what we needed) -- several years ago when I built an extension below the front bumper of my pickup to push the roadster off with, I was concerned that if the truck hit the roadster bumper hard it might actuate the air bags.  I thought I might disable the bag switch when racing.  I asked a knowlegeable GM service technician about this, and he replied that if the truck hit the roadster hard enough to set off the air bags, they would probably be needed and wanted.  Haven't had any problems in six years.

Stan Back

Air bag technology has improved greatly.  But it wasn't always so.  My dad's body shop had a small import come in a long time ago.  The lady had pulled into a parking space and a very high curb caught the metal tie down strap up front.  It jolted the car enough to set off the airbag.  This of course blew out one window and broke her arm . . .

It was designed to sense the shock taking into account the foam and plastic bumper, but the jolt right to the unibody was enough to set it off.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2009, 06:28:53 PM »
The rule applies to streamliners only, section 7.H:

7.H.8   Fuel Shut-off:
A remote fuel shutoff to disable pump operation that can be easily actuated from the rider compartment shall be fitted  All electric/electronic fuel systems shall have an inertial shutoff switch by Jan. 1, 2010.

The rule remains the same for all other classes:

7.B.2.3  Fuel Pump Stop Lanyard:
If the ignition kill lanyard does not shut off the fuel pump, the motorcycle shall be equipped with a tether-type shut-off device attached to the vehicle and the rider so the fuel pump is shut off if the rider becomes separated from the motorcycle.

DW

Cars too.

Add sentence.
3.I.1 Fuel Shut-off:
All cars with other than stock fuel system shall have a fuel shut-off within the driver’s reach. Electric fuel pumps shall have a switch in
the circuit to disable pump operation. All electric fuel pumps shall have an inertial shutoff switch by Jan. 1, 2010. All rotating
fuel shut-off valves SHALL have a positive stop to prevent reopening of the valve.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.