Author Topic: New rule change on electric fuel pumps.  (Read 39558 times)

McRat

Re: New rule change on electric fuel pumps.
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2008, 10:39:33 AM »
Is everyone suggesting to use the Ford piece since there are more Fords in the junkyard?  :-D

Just kidding.  :evil:

I'm reworking my fuel system next week, I'm glad I saw this.  Thanks guys!! :cheers:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2008, 06:36:18 PM »
I bought a nice new Ford piece. San Mateo County is much to green to allow any junk yards here. Now I need the plug in. Any one with an extra, I am in the market. Otherwise it's off to San Jose and some old cars.

landracing

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2008, 06:51:33 PM »
Is everyone suggesting to use the Ford piece since there are more Fords in the junkyard?  :-D

Thats because all the Chevy's are hitting them due to their inadequate braking systems...

And in the accident of the Chevy hitting the ford, the Fords used a fuel cutoff switch which prevented total meltdown from a fuel fire, Chevy did not use this type of device and burned to the ground.

Instead of salvaging chevy's they tow them straight to the crusher.

JonAmo
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 07:11:01 PM by landracing »

landracing

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2008, 07:13:40 PM »

I checked the DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and the only thing I could find was 571.301 Standard No. 301; Fuel system integrity. It says that at a front impact of up to 48 km/h (29.8 mph) and a side impact of 32 km/h (19.8 mph) you can't leak more than a certain amount. Nothing about inertia switches or the force required.

I'm going to guess that the automotive manufacturers looked at test data for normal driving, including bouncing over curbs and things like that, and set the force just slightly higher.

Umm Dean, do you think that there isn't a standard for the force of a inertia switch to function is because DOT doesn't require anybody to have them... If they did then ALL vehicles on the road would be required to have them.

JonAmo

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2008, 08:07:33 PM »
I bought a nice new Ford piece. San Mateo County is much to green to allow any junk yards here. Now I need the plug in. Any one with an extra, I am in the market. Otherwise it's off to San Jose and some old cars.

Rich:

There are several different switches.  I have two here in front of me (no spare pigtails  :-( )

The earlier, part# E1AE-9341-2AB and a later one, part# F5AB-9341-AA

Using http://www.spautoparts.com/pigtails.htm (Motorcraft Pigtail Identification Guide); the early one is a two-cavity and appears to be WPT416 (marking on the pigtail is " UB-2<4").  The later pigtail has a part# (REALLY TINY) F8AB-14489-AA,  and appears to be three-cavity WPT446 or WPT459.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2008, 09:04:44 PM »
There sure are a lot of them. Must be a good job designing connectors. Never stops.

Offline Eric_Noyes

• http://www.geocities.com/buddfab/buddfab3
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2008, 02:08:54 PM »
This is from the Pegasus Auto Racing catalog

Fuel Pump Shut-Off Switch (Inertia Activated)
Our Inertia Activated Fuel Pump Shut-Off Switch will cut power to an electric fuel pump after an impact of 10 to 12 G's or higher, reducing the risk of post-crash fires caused by pressurized fuel sprayed from ruptured fuel lines.

Resets with a simple push on the top of the switch.
$65

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=87

I found the instructions on another site:

http://www.smartracingproducts.com/pdfdocs/935100_fuelshutoff.pdf

A push truck hit of over 10 G’s is unlikely to happen unintentionally. 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2008, 09:19:57 PM »
What is missing from the switch specification is the duration of the G force. A very high G force over a very short duration isn't likely to trip the inertia switch but 10 to 12 Gs over some unknown time will. I wish spec writers gave us the whole picture not just one parameter. Arrrggghhhhh!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2008, 09:31:06 PM »
These guys can build you a 50,000 G switch. No problem with inadvertent activation. Or any activation. Still legal under the rules. That's why I did some research.
http://www.inertiaswitch.com/

I think the Pegasus Auto Racing switch is a better choice. At least they quote a G force for activation.

Umm Dean, do you think that there isn't a standard for the force of a inertia switch to function is because DOT doesn't require anybody to have them... If they did then ALL vehicles on the road would be required to have them.

JonAmo

It was a complete surprise to me Jon! For a car maker to put equipment on the vehicle that the feds didn't mandate!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2008, 10:42:01 PM »
It was a complete surprise to me Jon! For a car maker to put equipment on the vehicle that the feds didn't mandate!

Well, after the whole Pinto fiasco, I suspect Ford started taking fuel fires a little more seriously.

Seriously, though, my experience with the Ford unit, at least the one they use in the Taurus/Sable, has been that they are touchy.  They are easy to reset, though, and cheap enough.  For LSR, they're probably perfect, but I sure wouldn't consider one for any racing application where the car gets jostled around, IE, rally, roundy-pounders or off road racing.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2008, 01:39:38 PM »
...........the one they use in the Taurus/Sable, has been that they are touchy.  They are easy to reset, though, and cheap enough.  ......

A friend of mine told me that the kids at the local high school found out about these and went around banging on the Fords and setting them off so they wouldn't start.  He works at a place that has a wrecker service and says that when they go out on a call for a Ford that won't start that the first thing they check is the cut-off and a lot of times that is the problem.

c ya,

Sum

McRat

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2008, 02:17:32 PM »
I would think lighter vehicles would have a more robust trigger tension than heavier cars?  Or am I thinking backwards? 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2008, 04:04:10 PM »
McRat;

Gs are Gs, no matter what the weight of the car is.

McRat

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2008, 04:13:13 PM »
But a fender bender in an Escalade is not going to impart the same g's to the frame as a Civic would.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2008, 08:57:07 PM »
If you want to buy new or live in a county that outlawed junk yards like I do, The part numbers are XF3Z9341AA for the switch and 3U2Z-14S411-NUA for the pig tail. Silver State Ford Parts online seemed cheaper that local Ford dealer. This one has an extra wire that will turn on a light to let you know the car is not running, if you need one.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 08:58:43 PM by RichFox »