Author Topic: New rule change on electric fuel pumps.  (Read 39562 times)

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
Re: New rule change on electric fuel pumps.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 12:12:30 PM »
Thanks!  I am not total knowledgeable about relays unless I have directions. 
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 01:06:13 PM »
NAPA sells one at a higher price. A universal replacement. The yshowed me one in a special order catalogue. I can't exactly remember the Pt# but it's something like FSP 100. Not sure on the letters................
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jdincau

Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 05:04:44 PM »
Missed it by................ "that much" . That was the one. Declined on ordering it due to the cost and lookong at the FOMOCO one.............
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 05:22:53 PM »
Hmmmm...

How can it be: Fuel Pump Cut-Off Switch - Universal and Product Features:Exact Fit! ???

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 07:34:34 PM »
Google or Ask "the bosch relay unraveled". Shows whats available for amperage, etc and simple wiring diagrams that even I can understand LOL. Should be no problem at all for anyone. Might want to make sure the one you pick has enough capacity. Some fuel pumps take a lot of power.

Ron Gibson, Omaha NE
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline bill78

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 09:11:07 PM »
Does SCTA have any recommendations as to what should be used?

Bill

dwarner

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 10:14:49 PM »
The Ford relay or equivalent will suffice. You must demonstate fuctionality.

DW

Offline RichFox

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 11:57:18 PM »
I use an electric pump to prime the injectors. The pump is only used to start the motor. Will I need this switch?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 09:44:51 AM »
The Ford relay or equivalent will suffice. You must demonstate fuctionality.

DW

You mean like bump it a little with the push truck when you start the engine and have it quit at the start of a record return run  :?  Just adds another variable to the mix.  Hopefully you will find one that will require the car to acquire a dent before it shuts it down  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 10:50:54 AM »
Looks like I'll need to add an idiot lite to show the pump is running. I'll need to see how the functional test will work too. I'm sure the inspection team will teach us.

Maybe it's as simple as pulling up on the red button and trying the pump. That would be easiest if it could be done.

Maybe Rick B can step in here and tell us how to test one. None of my Ford have been hit in the rear for a function test......................JD

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 11:10:40 AM »
I think I am glad that I was advised to go to a mechanical pump system by DD and Mike LaF. and then "encouraged" :-D to add a mechanical shut off before the rule changed!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

landracing

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 02:01:03 PM »
All the ford type of inertia switches for fuel pump cutoff work extremly well. I can pickup like 20 or so of these fairly cheap with harness connector.

If you goto the junk yard Ford cars always have the inertia switch in trunk, Trucks always have them in passenger compartment on left or right firewall. Some are mounted next to pillars on left or right side also. I have never seen one fail, unless it was in a collision and broken on a car. NEVER have seen one fail on a truck. I have also seen lots of accidents that they did not go off.

The require a pretty good hit to get them to activate. If your push truck is setting them off then you need a new push truck driver or mount the switch more forward and if they are getting set off on course, its probably not not a safe course... I see the vehicle without suspension maybe having the issue.

JonAmo

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 03:02:22 PM »
On another subject (just what we needed) -- several years ago when I built an extension below the front bumper of my pickup to push the roadster off with, I was concerned that if the truck hit the roadster bumper hard it might actuate the air bags.  I thought I might disable the bag switch when racing.  I asked a knowlegeable GM service technician about this, and he replied that if the truck hit the roadster hard enough to set off the air bags, they would probably be needed and wanted.  Haven't had any problems in six years.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 03:11:50 PM »
The only thing that I can find on my shop computer for testing the fuel pump inertia switch is:

from the Merkur shop manual.

Is there any other way to test the switch??

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!