Author Topic: New rule change on electric fuel pumps.  (Read 39554 times)

Offline KEVIN

• New folks
New rule change on electric fuel pumps.
« on: December 01, 2008, 09:26:11 PM »
Inertial shut off switch will be required on electric fuel pumps on 1-1-2010. What is an inertial switch and where can I get one.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: New rule change on electric fuel pumps.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 10:45:55 PM »
AKA a mercury switch. It allows electrical contact in a upright position but will "unplug" power if disrupted. i.e. tip over. It's standard equipment on modern efi autos.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:53:21 PM »
     Until I see or hear different we plan using a stocker off a Ford product, often located behind the carpet on the left side of the trunk.  Don't know why it wouldn't do the job.  Wish I had a dollar for every demo driver that forgot to bypass one in all their prep and then wondered why they weren't running after the first hit..........

Ed Purinton

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 01:40:06 AM »
Every car has had an inertia switch cut off in case of an accident. You don't want a mercury switch because they can reset. The inertia switch once it is triggered, has to be reset. A Ford Taurus inertia switch is about $32.

Inertia switch

Spotted on Noonan's bike:

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 02:33:21 AM »
Every car has had an inertia switch cut off in case of an accident. You don't want a mercury switch because they can reset. The inertia switch once it is triggered, has to be reset. A Ford Taurus inertia switch is about $32.

Inertia switch

Spotted on Noonan's bike:

Dean (I don't race Los Angeles)

Which bike was that..the number one bike or the spare bike that was number two bike or # 3 overall?

John

PS,

Where is your ironing board/swing set/Flexi Radio flyer/surfboard record holding bike at now a days..?  I never have seen it run? 

J

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 09:25:42 AM »
Hi Noonan! That's the reason for making fun! The #1 points holder, super nice guy, dead fast equipment!  :cheers:

Hey! There are NO ironing board parts! Building a new frame for it and didn't run this year. Spent the money on a new kitchen instead. The racing would have been MUCH cheaper.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 09:27:35 AM »
I have been using the Ford switch from day 1 of racing.
The Merk and lakester- liner both have the same switch.  On the liner it is really hard to get at.  (under the seat) but if it trips I have more problems than access.  I believe the original design remains, from early 80's when we had CFI.
They require a "real" impact (like an accident) to trip.  If you use a relay or solenoid to control 12 v to the fuel pump, just route the wire that energizes the relay coil thru the inertia switch.
In my time with Ford, I never heard of one false trigger of this switch. 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 01:34:26 PM by Rick Byrnes »
Rick

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 09:52:15 AM »
Kevin....thanks for asking the question.  Thanks to everyone else for bringing us up to date.  Wow a complete breakdown of the switch....John and Dean, you guys are the greatest!  With this information, and the ease of installation, I am sure you all will be resposible for alot of us being up to date by 2009 and possibly saving a life from severe burns.

I am rebuilding my car, and have the trunk all apart, changing everything around for more space, so will add this with some of the other stuff I've got going in there.  I am headed down past Picka Part, so will pick one up and get it in tonight.  I've got a few more questions.....

1)  What year and model of Ford is the best?
2)  Where is the best place to put it on my roadster or any race car?
3)  I've got an Aeromotive Pump, just connect it between the relay and the pump or on the hot wire to the relay?
4)  Any special tools to remove the inertia switch?  Is it "screwed" in place or do I need a small socket?

Thanks!
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 12:38:53 PM »
DSR Bruts
I would wire it into the relay activation circuit. That way the only current it carries is to turn on the relay. Large or several pumps could draw more amperage than the switch is rated for and cause problems. I think all Fords use the same switch.
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 01:59:01 PM »
I mentioned the Ford unit because it was the first thing to pop into my head. Any make or model will do, they all work the same.

Mount it to something rigid. Anything that flexes would require a harder impact to trigger it.

The contacts are not rated to directly operate a fuel pump. Put a relay in the circuit.

Offline Geo

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 02:16:13 PM »
You must mount it with the top up and vertical 90 degrees to horizontal NSEW.

A good bump will set it off so some push vehicle driver training may be in order.

Geo

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 02:58:57 PM »
What would I do without you guys and all your help?  Noonan, forgot to say "Congratulations" on your great finish in all those categories!!!  It is a pleasure to be a member of the SDRC with guys like you working hard and having fun!

Just back from Pick-n-Pull.  Went over a bunch of Fords. Didn't look at anything else.  First they are easy to find, in the trunk on the left hand side with the "Fuel Pump Shut-Off Switch" sign in bright yellow or black and white and the Switch is obviously right behind it.  There are a bunch of cars to select from.  You are right, they are all mounted verticle with the red button at the top on a solid piece of metal, which is the sheet metal brace going from the bottom of the trunk to fender/package tray.  90 degrees from horizontal.  They are all the exactly the same (for these years).  The ones that look the best are the Crown Vic's because they have a sheet metal protector around them.  I only found Ford's from 92 to 96 with this style as the later 99's have a metal box (must be like the Prego Tomatoe Sauce....the switch is in there somewhere...).  I brought a small Cresent Wrench and a pair of wire cutters as they all have are twp hex heads that are easy to get to once you peel the upholstery back.  Don't ask me why, but I bought 4 at $2.49 thinking one or two might have a problem, but they give a 30 day exchange.  Geo if you need one, I'm at 7901 Park in Lenexa (Cell 913.706.6575).  The Ford Part Number is F2AB-9341-AA.  Based on the information you guys gave me, they are probably all good, but I haven't checked them as of yet.  They are all made in the USA except the 93 Crown Vic and it says "Made In England".  They also say "First Inertia Switch" on the other side.  I am going to mount mine to my roll cage uprights beside the relay and pump.

Need help here guys....I already have a relay in the circuit.  Is there a specific "marked" circuit I need to cut into and run to the switch?  I've got a hot lead from the Electrical "Kill" Switch, one to the Fuel Pump, one to ground and a fourth that isn't in use.

I make my living as a performance factory rep....if any of you guys are down at the Performance Industry Show in Orlando next week.  Call me at my cell above and I will tell you where I am at as I have 5 manufacturers at the show.  Would like to meet you.
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
De Oppresso Liber

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 09:52:52 PM »
A good bump will set it off so some push vehicle driver training may be in order.

Geo

10-4 on that :roll:  Even a good, strong bottoming-out pulling into a sharply inclined driveway will set the Taurus unit off, which, in turn, makes all the horns in the cars waiting behind you in traffic go off in a rather musical cacophony. :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 08:30:52 AM »
Update on my relay switch.  The fourth spade (which I had removed the wire) is for the wire from my fuel pump on/off switch on the dash, this is what activates the pump....which is probably where the inertia switch should go....please correct me if I am wrong.
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
De Oppresso Liber

Offline Geo

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 09:27:56 AM »
Yup.  That's where I would place it in the electrical circuit.  Be sure to test it on/off/on.

Geo