Author Topic: 2009 rule book changes  (Read 11617 times)

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
Re: 2009 rule book changes
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 01:23:27 PM »
I too was wondering about the "manufactoring date not to exceed 5 years". Can anyone tell me where to find the date on a Bell helmet? I've sent Bell an email with the serial number but have gotten no response yet.

Larry  :-D
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 04:04:57 PM »
I believe it will be inside the helmet under the lining which you will have to flip down to see.
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 05:46:59 PM »
Hitz...your car looks great....!

Some more information from the Snell Foundation that may be of your interest....just off the phone with them.  The Snell 2005 rating has been the "new" standard since October 1, 2005, but some SA2005 Helmets were produced a few months before the standard took place.  Production on SA2000 helmets stoped at the end of 2005 and now some of them are 8 or 9 years old.  Snell Foundation recommends that sanctioning bodies change over to requiring SA2005 helmets in March of 2009 as he told me.  Also of note is Snell Foundation recommends that Helmets be changed every 5 years due to wear and tear.  I believe that SCTA requiring a change to SA2005 in January 1, 2011 as it states in 3.A.2 is very conservative and should allow everyone adequate time to change to the new style SA2005.  That being said I appreciate SCTA for their insight and safety consideration for all of us.  When buying a new SA2005 Helmet, make sure you get the latest date as with all safety equipment and you should be able to use your helmet for a full 5 years.
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 06:25:36 PM »
If you can last I would wait for the Snell 2010 which won't be available until late in 2010 or early 2011. I have done it this way since I started to ge the most use out of the helmet, a full 10 years for the SCTA. As for wear and tear. The only time mine are out of the bag and the box are when they are on my head in the race car. Maybe 3 hours in 10 years.....Not too much on the wear part and no tear.

I have sold a few of "slightly used" helmets since 1975
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 08:04:15 PM »
Jimmy...I think I'll get mine about July 2011 with the latest date I can find.  To amortize out the head safety issue, I will be adding a Hans device this year and after looking at changing my cage, I am hoping it will fit without having to make any cage changes....money going into the engine!
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline hitz

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 08:43:43 PM »
Thanks Bruts,
  Hope I can make it to SW '09. The body is almost done and the car will be stripped down to finish up some welding about Christmas. After Jan. 1, 09 I'll start preparing for painting the frame. I'd like to run at Lovelock, NV in the spring for a shake down. It would be nice to know what I have before SW.

JD,
Thats what I planned on doing. Buying a new helmet in 2010. Mine has been used 3 times at Bonneville and still looks new. I sure would like to be able to buy a head restraint for 2009. Have to buy new arm restraints too, I see.

Take care, Harvey

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 11:25:17 PM »
I believe it will be inside the helmet under the lining which you will have to flip down to see.

Well, I talked to Bell today. The official Snell sticker is indeed under the lining. The date of mfg. for the auto,SA, helmets is stamped on the D rings. I was told there is no way to tell the date of mfg. for an M helmet. Not even with the serial number.
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 09:15:22 PM »
Well we used to use the same helmet for the bike and the car, guess the new rule will make that impossible, so our bike helmet will run about a $100 an hour and our car helmet about $150....  :-P 

Waiting to buy a 2010 won't help since it is only good for 5 years from date of manufacture, just as will get a 2005, just need to be very careful to get one that was made yesterday and yesterday had better be in August  :x 

I think we are a little over the edge with this one.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline hitz

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 11:55:58 PM »
I'm with Stainless on this one. Most will buy a cheaper helmet next time and probably not take as good care of it. I thought that it was neat when the helmets were inspected the same time the cars were at Bonneville. This seems like the most efficient way to keep our equipment up to par.

Maybe they aren't making the helmets as good as they used to be! :? Remember the polycarbonate helmets that had the tiny ridge cast into them? When that ridge disappeared, it was time to get a new helmet. My first helmet was one of those pudding bowl things that had cotton ear protectors that doubled for chin straps and the bowl was made from something that looked like wood chips and shellac. :| I tested mine at least once a month in the SC desert. I got rid of it because it wasn't cool looking, not because it wasn't protecting. I got a fiberglass one in the '50's that I really liked and keep it into the 60's when the dog ate the insides out of it. I replaced it with one of the polycarbonate models. It lasted until I waxed it with a cleaner wax and the little ridge disappeared. It was probably still OK (I think they made bowling balls of the same material).

DanW. said the rules are written in blood and I don't think I've seen any rules that haven't been justified until maybe now. I think the head restraint is needed now more than anything else. I think a well taken care of modern helmet is good for at least 10 years for LSR use. I think the SCTA has done more for the LSR racers than anyone and if this is going to be the way it is, then so be it. Though it would be nice to know the reason behind this change in the rules

Respectively, Harvey