Author Topic: 2009 rule book changes  (Read 11618 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
2009 rule book changes
« on: November 26, 2008, 02:35:39 PM »
The rule book changes for 2009 are posted on the SCTA web page. Lower left corner. Read them carefully for any changes you need to make before the season starts.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

Re: 2009 rule book changes
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 03:16:09 PM »
In re:  Rule 2E refers to fire retardant coverings for air hoses supplying the driver.  I think this is a good rule, but I don't have a clue as for what to use.  My intake hose to the fan is 3" diameter, and from the fan to the cooler and cooler to helmet are 1 1/2".  Any suggestions?
Bob Drury

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:19:22 PM »
Bob,

Measure what you need. Contact one of the rulebook advertisers, DJ Safety comes to mind. Have them make up the sleeves you need.

DW

Offline jl222

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 04:57:30 PM »
The rule book changes for 2009 are posted on the SCTA web page. Lower left corner. Read them carefully for any changes you need to make before the season starts.

Hi Glen

I can only find 08  :?

JL222

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »
John,

Lower right corner. Listed as 2009 updates. I opened the link and those are the ones I sent Ed.

DW

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 05:12:11 PM »
ED=SV x 2 where    So all the rotary guys who have been complaining about the old rule should be partying extra hard this Thanksgiving

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 06:57:41 PM »
Dan, thanx for the tip.  I hope somesone from the rules committee makes contact with the various manufacturers as to what they want ( nomex, carbon X, etc.).  Thanks again, Bob
Bob Drury

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 07:58:56 PM »
Bob,

A fire proof sleeve of any of those materials will do. I think that Lee is looking at a simple sleeve with a velcro fastening that will wrap around the air hoses. One look at the cockpit photos of Lynn Goodfellow's fire will show you the need for this item.

As much as I hate to repeat the line ..."these rules are written in blood"... it is a fact and we must all look at ways to improve the safety of everyone. We want each and everyone of our competitiors to return and be able to persue their goals.

DW

Offline WildBro

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 09:52:59 PM »
Glad to see front fender is an option for the naked class.  Would have been unsafe without one.  Surprised they kept the OK on the tail section, but the 36" should keep them flattened.

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 07:13:01 PM »
McMaster-Carr has some sleeving which can stand 2000 degrees for a short time. www.mcmaster.com page 791. I need about 4 feet of 1-1/2" ........................Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Walter

• Nash & Kirchner, P.C.
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 07:22:36 AM »
I had heard some rumblings that a head and neck restraint was to be required in '09.  I see that there is a provision for accomodating such a device in the seat belt placement section (see quote below), but there does not appear to be any requirement for a head and neck device. 

Am I correct on this one?

"3.D.2 Seat Belts:
Seat belts and shoulder harnesses shall be installed to the manufacturer’s specifications and in compliance with the helmet support system requirements with special consideration given to shoulder belt interaction with HANS type device, i.e. belts not being properly retained in support of the device...
"

dwarner

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 11:43:59 AM »
The only required restraints are for lateral and rear head movement.

Plan on a forward restraint to be required in the very near future. If you are building a new vehicle be sure to design in accomendations for a forward restraint system.

DW

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:33:09 PM »
Dan, We sent our helmet back to Simpson and they installed a cable loop on the lower edge of the helmet and supplied a harness with quick release latchs to limit forward movement. I asked at the time if the system was 38-1 complient and they said yes. I looked for any complience tag when I got it back and there wasn't any. Does it need a tag, or is it by nature complient? I hate dealing with the unknown. Since we aren't dealing with much chance of forward impact, [unless you get to the floating mountain] , the system is most likely O.K. Just trying to get ahead of the curve.
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 10:12:54 PM »
Lee wants any system that limits forward movement to be 38.1 compliant. As there is no requirement as of now I would say to get Lee to look at your strap during inspection. If he likes it then have a notation made in your log book.

DW

Offline hitz

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »
 I was looking for a helmet / neck restraint system and found that a Hutchens D-cell would work in my lakester but don't know if it meets 38.1 yet. I'd hate to buy one and find out it didn't quailfy so I'll get a hold of Lee and see what he thinks. A question I have on the helmet rule: 3.A.2. There is a new rule "Manufacture date not to exceed 5 years." Is this after January 1, 2011 or does it mean that my SA2000 helmet that was manufactured in 2002 is no longer legal? If I have to buy a new helmet I'll probably have to forego the head/neck restraint this year. I'd feel better with a head restaint and my "old" helmet, but it looks like I would be legal without the head restraint for 2009 and getting a new helmet..... 

I'd appreciate your input Dan.

Thanks, Harvey

PS. Looks like I need arm restraints too. :lol: