Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 8695 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Helmets
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 10:47:01 PM »
Snell Memorial Foundation
http://www.smf.org/
Where's the Snell label located?
    There are two forms of the Snell serialized label.  The most common is the adhesive label, but there is also a cloth type for the M, SA and RS standards. The adhesive label, or decal is usually affixed somewhere on the inside of the helmet.  If it is not readily visible, check underneath the flaps of the comfort padding. The cloth type labels a generally sewn onto the chin strap and folded over.  If a thorough search fails to turn up a decal then regardless of any claims or advertisements your helmet is not part of the Snell certification program and does not have the confidence of the Foundation.   

I would think that if you are going to bring an ACU (Autocycle Union - Motorcycling GB) or ECE 22.05 (U.N.  Economic Commission for Europe (ECE)  motorcycle helmet safety standard) that you would need documentation to show that it has some correlation to Snell 2005. I'd hate to spend huge sums to come here and have to buy a helmet. The tests are different and don't have a one-to-one correlation, but with some paperwork you have something to show the inspectors. I would think you would also have to have an address on the entry that is not in the U.S.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 12:17:58 AM »
I had no idea helmet specs weren't universally accepted across the board. Beyond Snell, yrs truly has heard of the Jim Clark Foundation specs , but obviously there are others that may or may not conform to one another.

My suggestions would be buy the latest updated  Snell from Jegs, Speedway, Summitt, etc. or Chapparral, for instance, if you're a bike guy, and hold the salesperson's "FEET TO THE FIRE" (Quoting Jack D. -  2004) if they send you old stock.

In other words conform to the race group's specs in which you compete.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

dwarner

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 01:21:17 PM »
"In other words conform to the race group's specs in which you compete. "

Better advice could not be offered.

DW

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 03:19:28 PM »
DW- Good advice - I have an old Bell that I love but it isn't 2000 soooooo I bought a new Bell ... I use the old orange Bell is still a good helmet and I use it when I ride around town but racing I use the new Bell ... Joe

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 05:26:15 PM »
I refuse to use an inferior helmet when it is my head on the line. We have competed three times at Speed Week (my brother and I). I road raced motorcycles in the UK and three times in the Isle Of Man, surviving two bad crashes, hence my acceptance of the very high ACU standard. I am glad to say the technical officials at Speed Week appreciated this. I am sorry for any confusion over where or when I competed.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

bak189

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 05:51:04 PM »
SO........this clears it up for once and for all........
"officially" you need a Snell Cert. helmet to race SCTA/BNI.....HOWEVER, if you check with the Chief Inspector in Tech. he may allow you to use a helmet that has ACU....ECE 22.05 Cert.
(and possible other Cert's?).......................................

Maybe a up-date in the rule-book is in order???
It would certainly make it a lot easier and cheaper for our "off shore" racers.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 07:23:56 PM »
SCTA rules are very specific ... "Snell tag reading SA2000 or M2000 or later is required"  ... there is no allowance for other certifications. If an inspector allowed this it was in deference to the written rule.
Joe

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Joe   You are reading the car rules.  The motorcycle  rule is worded different  " All riders shall wear a full-face helmet with face shield, which shall meet Snell Foundation M2000 or later specifications.---------"

Sheri Buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 09:00:37 PM »
There are no open face helmets allowed in SCTA / BNI period.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 09:17:58 PM »
Sheri,
You are correct. Cars read Snell tag "required" and bikes read "shall meet Snell ... specs" ... As it reads cars Snell only. Bikes Snell specs - so equivalent sub is possible ... Joe

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 09:51:34 PM »
The Buchtas are SAVVY racers- their posts indicate that fact.

Willie has had to interpret NHRA's rulebook   and so have I. A job for a puzzle solver.

Yrs truly thinks the bike rules need to be amended to be on line with the cars- More headaches for the tech writers.

The bike rule indicates you need to have documentation to prove compliance. A PAIN IN THE A##, I'm thinking.

But I'm just an. . . INTERESTED BYSTANDER
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline dickj

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 03:51:23 PM »
Sometimes getting exactly what you want is difficult when dealing with suppliers.  I ordered my new helmet (through Summit) a week after the snell  2000 ratings came out, and I made sure I spoke to a tech rep and explained that I did not want a left-over Snell 95 rated helmet or I would return it when it came.  He understood my reasons, and he insured that I did get the newer rated helmet.  DickJ