Author Topic: EFI straight eight Buick  (Read 142095 times)

Offline GH

Re: EFI straight eight Buick
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2009, 10:13:25 AM »
Here is a photo of some of the Buick parts. We are going to start screwing this thing together after some of the ice, sleet, and snow melts. We have decided to put the injectors above the blower.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2009, 11:29:57 AM »
That should simplify the EFI tuning. More air, more fuel, more power. Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline GH

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2009, 11:54:48 AM »
We sure hope so, we were afraid to squirt it into the intake runners because of the symese (sp) ports. Here is some photos of the injectors.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 12:11:26 PM by GH »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2009, 09:23:36 PM »
I assume you're cooling the intake charge? 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline GH

« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2009, 10:26:53 AM »
Negatory on the intake charge cooling, too costly, adds to much height to the blower. Will probably go turbos in the future.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2009, 05:36:57 PM »
My bad - I thought you were side-winding the blower.  I gotta start paying attention.

Offline GH

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2009, 08:12:23 AM »
Four posts above this one is some photos of the injectors. I couldn't get them to post here, so I modified that post. We put some play-dough on the piston and checked valve to piston clearance, had plenty. Installed the head and sent the engine home with Mike.

Offline GH

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2009, 04:22:21 PM »
We've been working on the Buick pretty hard. We have been plumbing the efi pump, filters and injectors. We have a machinist making us an adaptor to mount a EDIS wheel on our balancer, it will be sandwiched in between the v-belt pulley and blower pulley. We are going to take it to Ohmaha Nebraska when we get it running and tune it on the chassis dyno.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 12:00:13 PM by GH »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2009, 03:13:32 PM »
Sweet.

I'm trying to imagine how far this blower is going to protrude through the hood.  I remember the hood as being pretty tall all the way to the front, and with the blower sitting as low as it is with the respect to the body line, are you going to be able to clearance the snout?

A big thumb's up on this. :cheers:

Offline GH

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2009, 08:15:18 PM »
Here is a photo of the EDIS wheel on the Buick. When the hood is on the car, all of the carb and injectors protrude through the hood. I am trying to talk Mike into putting a scoop on it to cover some of that stuff up, but he is balking.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2009, 09:32:06 AM »
GH,
Looking good. Hope all of the Winter's work pays off for you and Mike. Just got the new trans for the SaltCat yesterday, and now have to get a different t/o bearing. The TKO 600 uses a larger clutch shaft bearing than the T5 so we have to wait for any further "road dyno" work. There's always something new. When do you plan to take the Buick to the dyno? Wish there was one closer to home for us. Oh well, the road dyno will have to do for now. Take care, Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline GH

« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
Doug, our plan is to take the Buick to the dyno before the end of May.

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2009, 10:09:52 PM »
GH,
Looking good. Hope all of the Winter's work pays off for you and Mike. Just got the new trans for the SaltCat yesterday, and now have to get a different t/o bearing. The TKO 600 uses a larger clutch shaft bearing than the T5 so we have to wait for any further "road dyno" work. There's always something new. When do you plan to take the Buick to the dyno? Wish there was one closer to home for us. Oh well, the road dyno will have to do for now. Take care, Doug

Buickguy, there's a nice dyno in Billings.  The Mustang Dyno website lists this place as having an eddy current chassis dyno:  http://www.gjdiesel.com/

Might give them a call and see if they'll give you a deal on an hour or two.

-scott

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2009, 10:41:28 PM »
 Scott,
  Been there. It's worn out, needs much work, and we had to use the EGT guage on the car because the one on the shop dyno wasn't picking up a signal. The guy that owns it is getting ready to retire and I don't think he's willing to do what is needed to upgrade the system. I like the guy who owns it and this is not a put down on him, but we would like to find a place that's kept up with the technology. Thanks for the tip, however, Doug
                   [America]

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2009, 09:55:27 AM »
Scott,
  Been there. It's worn out, needs much work, and we had to use the EGT guage on the car because the one on the shop dyno wasn't picking up a signal. The guy that owns it is getting ready to retire and I don't think he's willing to do what is needed to upgrade the system. I like the guy who owns it and this is not a put down on him, but we would like to find a place that's kept up with the technology. Thanks for the tip, however, Doug

In our case, we're not using much - if any - of the instrumentation on the dyno.   The important part is if he has a working Eddy Current motor that can provide you with similar resistance to a real pass on the salt.   We use our own onboard Air:Fuel and EGT monitoring, both of these are entry level / inexpensive units...   it depends on what you're looking for I guess.

There were about 5 dynos listed on the www.mustangdyne.com website in your state, the rest of them looked to be pretty far off though.

-scott