Author Topic: EFI straight eight Buick  (Read 142089 times)

Offline gearheadeh

Re: EFI straight eight Buick
« Reply #225 on: October 17, 2010, 10:22:14 AM »
We tore the Buick down yesterday, here is some photos of the damage.

Don't you mean CARNAGE !
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #226 on: October 17, 2010, 10:25:20 AM »
 :-o uuuuuughlllllyyyy  :cry: bad Buford---shame on you  :x
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #227 on: October 17, 2010, 11:02:52 AM »
Looks like you might be able to save the bottom end of the rod! The piston will take a little re machining. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #228 on: October 17, 2010, 11:54:07 AM »
Gary, I've watched this build closely, and was gratified to see you were able to make some passes with the combination.   

Have you been able to pinpoint the cause?  Coincidence that it was the 2 slug both times?  Oiling issue?  Block flex?  Bad rod?  None of the above?  I'm just guessing - I'm curious as to what you think.

Chris

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #229 on: October 17, 2010, 11:59:58 AM »
Be careful not to open up the port into your valve train

I agree that a leak here is a bad idea, but IMHO safer than other locations, meaning if you have to guess wrong about the new port CL moving it up is safer than elsewhere.
There's almost no external pressure (inside the valve cover), so any transfer will be limited to the intake press/vac at WOT, as opposed to a leak to the chamber or even the water jacket.
Yes, it will lean out and pull oil, but if it's almost invisible the damage may be slight.
Some "oops" errors into the cover interior only require a primitive roof made of thin tube as a mask, sometimes epoxy is enough of a seal. Add a permanent riser to the valve cover rail for more room.
The repair is easily tested with air: pressurize the port to 60 psi, slosh 6 oz. of colored alcohol (low surface tension + low viscosity + visibility + no rust) around the seal, watch for bubbles. If it passes, re-fill and leave it overnight - look for stains in the port.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #230 on: October 17, 2010, 12:46:04 PM »
   GH,
   The damage looks similar to ours at World Finals. Two windows, and a piston and a pulverized rod small end. Lots of schrapnel in the pan, but the crank and bearings look good.
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline jl222

« Reply #231 on: October 17, 2010, 02:49:56 PM »
   GH,
   The damage looks similar to ours at World Finals. Two windows, and a piston and a pulverized rod small end. Lots of schrapnel in the pan, but the crank and bearings look good.

How long are those rods and do you think the rpm weight and length of piston rod assembly has any thing to do with failures?
  I know the aero engines limited there rpm to 2800---3200 but they had 6'' strokes and 6'' pistons, some more some less.

JL222

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #232 on: October 17, 2010, 04:19:57 PM »
   In our case, we just got greedy and bored the block out .290 and sleeved it down to a .200 overbore using spun silicon steel sleeves. They won't handle the pressures without more wall behind them to support them. The top of #7 cly. let go and caught the piston edge on the way up and jammed the piston sidways and proceeded to remove all of the cyl. wall and turn the piston into a ball and beat the small end of the rod to death. In the process it punched two holes in the block. Surprisingly the rod bearing still looks good and the crack spins free. As they say, "Run what 'ya bring, Break what 'ya brought". We'll run a small motor next year.
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #233 on: October 17, 2010, 04:52:40 PM »
Great photo, Doug.  How'd you get it so clear?  And as for the ex-piston -- well, if you decide to save it for your shelf of race-broken parts -- make sure you tag it so that all will be able to figure out what it used to be.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #234 on: October 17, 2010, 09:20:33 PM »

Slim,
 When you see the piston piece up close, you can see the rings still embedded in the side. We're now trying to decide how to make a useful coffee table or rolling workbench out of the block with the windows.
 There are way too many hours of work in it to make a yard ornament out of it. I'll see if I can get a picture of the altar to the Gods Of Speed that we have in the shop. Lots of sacrificial offerings there already. I'm sure my daughter doesn't understand when I tell her that's going to be her inheritance. It's a snapshot of the micro-second we're here. :cheers: :evil:
                   [America]

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #235 on: October 21, 2010, 09:59:38 PM »
How about converting the exhaust ports into intake ports ?

Worked pretty good for Bobby Green in his Lakester.

Of course you would need a different cam,
but it gets away from the Siamese intake ports.
I guess the answer is "a Secret" .

chenchen21621

« Reply #236 on: November 01, 2010, 04:46:25 AM »
What is the port configuration on the straight 8?  It's been years since I've seen one.

Dam spam!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:26:25 AM by SPARKY »

Offline GH

« Reply #237 on: November 01, 2010, 09:23:20 AM »
Here is the port configuration     EIEEIEEIEEIE   

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #238 on: November 01, 2010, 04:23:55 PM »
Didn't they put that to song -- "Old Mac Donald . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #239 on: November 01, 2010, 09:32:02 PM »
Didn't they put that to song -- "Old Mac Donald . . .

That would be for the 5 port Sprite/Mini head - E I E I O shit, I just ground through into the water jacket. :-o
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: