Author Topic: EFI straight eight Buick  (Read 142113 times)

saltfever

Re: EFI straight eight Buick
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2010, 03:09:45 PM »
Congratulations for success on a very interesting application and thanks to everyone for sharing all the good and bad moments.  :-)  Diesel, are you going to be at SW this year?

saltfever

« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2010, 03:25:08 PM »
Our mustang dyno is "LOTS" lower reading than all the non-SAE dynos out there.  To give you an idea, on a superflow engine dyno this engine would show to 500+ ft-lbs of torque.   It's definitely making big power for what it is!!
I have heard that before about various brand dynos. I can't imagine any one of them having an inaccurate dimension on the arm or bad geometry from the arm applying load. So what is the variable among dynos that causes all the inaccuracy? Is it inaccurate load cells or something else? Since some brands seem to be consistently one way or the other is that inherent to their design or the accuracy of the load cell they buy?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2010, 06:34:23 PM »
NUMBERS!  NUMBERS!

Happy for your success.  This has been an Odyssey build, with a lot of peculiar bends in the road, and we're all wishing you great success in August.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2010, 07:55:55 PM »
pictures  :? of the "batch fire" injector instalitions
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:34:03 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
NUMBERS!  NUMBERS!

Happy for your success.  This has been an Odyssey build, with a lot of peculiar bends in the road, and we're all wishing you great success in August.

I know I will be a disappointment but...  we spent enough time figuring out the injector arrangement and tune, that we didn't make any power pulls.  We ran it up to 4500rpm once, just making sure it would make clean pulls.

Based on some of the earlier data, I know that it's making around 380-400hp and around 500 ft-lbs at the flywheel (if you were to put it on a typical engine dyno).

Saltfever, the reason for chassis dyno differences are many - and could fill up many pages - it's a discussion probably better saved for another topic!

saltfever

« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2010, 10:49:48 PM »
Saltfever, the reason for chassis dyno differences are many - and could fill up many pages - it's a discussion probably better saved for another topic!
Good point, it should be another thread. I was worried I might be accused of thread-jacking. When you get the time how about starting that thread. :-D

Offline GH

« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2010, 09:29:46 AM »
Dieselgeek, you didn't tell them about the thrash in the parking lot, repairing the broken heim joints on the ladder bars.

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
Dieselgeek, you didn't tell them about the thrash in the parking lot, repairing the broken heim joints on the ladder bars.

I figured I'd leave the fun parts for you to tell!!   I got pictures of said thrashing though.   :-D

Offline GH

« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2010, 09:47:01 AM »
FUN????????

Offline RICK

« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2010, 10:57:05 AM »
I was really looking forward to seeing the pictures,or video

of the DYNO run. But now there are rumors of even better parking lot pics? We MUST see those!
     And as I recall,,,,,,,,,,this was not your first experience with failed (overpowered) ladder bar (4-link) components.

Now post those pictures,    Rick
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: June 15, 2010, 03:00:15 PM »
I'm beginning to wonder about that dyno.  First it causes you to throw a rod and window a block, NOW it's breaking suspension pieces? :-o

I think the sooner you get that poor Beauford to Bonneville, the longer it's going to live! :-D

Offline GH

« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2010, 04:45:50 PM »
Rick, your memory is too good. Don't be spreading rumors about my ladder bars. MM, these broke even before we got the car on the dyno or in the dyno building and just barely off the trailer. Bonneville rust is great, this car has been on the salt since 2000.

Offline GH

« Reply #192 on: July 13, 2010, 08:55:41 AM »
Mike and myself took both cars to the local Discovery Center last Sturday for a special event that featured the engine cutaway exibit I did for them. My clutch linkage had gotten so rusted that the pedal would not come back up. So, yesterday I spent about 5 hours reworking the linkage, now it works better than when I first built it. I have to put new plugs in and bolt on the push bar and I think thats all that I have to do before Bonneville.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #193 on: July 21, 2010, 09:13:25 PM »
GH, This is a real cool and informative build thread. I just read every post!

Good luck this year!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: August 20, 2010, 01:21:58 AM »
Hey, guys -

If you get a few moments, tell us about Bonneville.  I see you got some runs in, and I was cheering you on.  Looks like you had decent runs on Saturday and Wednesday, but some issues on Monday and Tuesday?

Post when you can, and wishing you a safe trip home.

Chris