Author Topic: EFI straight eight Buick  (Read 142120 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: EFI straight eight Buick
« Reply #165 on: March 29, 2010, 10:02:20 AM »
How cool is that   :-D  It would be intresting  :? if one could slow motion what was going on inside of the intake manifold :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline GH

« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2010, 08:35:14 AM »
Mike called me yesterday and said he drove the Buick down the road and everything worked great. He said it runs real smooth up to 3000 rpm, then it gets a little ragged. We are going to Omaha Nebraska this coming Friday to run it on the dyno, Dieselgeek will tune it.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2010, 10:37:51 AM »
BEST of luck on the dyno---hope you get some great numbers
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2010, 11:07:49 AM »
Mike called me yesterday and said he drove the Buick down the road and everything worked great. He said it runs real smooth up to 3000 rpm, then it gets a little ragged. We are going to Omaha Nebraska this coming Friday to run it on the dyno, Dieselgeek will tune it.

that makes sense.  Last time we ran it, we were tuning it on gasoline and I made it up to about 2700rpm before she let go.  Should only need 1 or 2 pulls to sort it out this time...  can't wait for you guys to get up here, dyno visits from Gary and Mike have become a good vacation for me.  Mainly because they're the only "car guys" that my wife likes!!    :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2010, 07:44:25 PM »
Good luck this weekend.  No more heartaches - only big numbers! 

Another video, perhaps?

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2010, 12:21:13 AM »
We'll take video for sure,

-Scott

Offline GH

« Reply #171 on: April 20, 2010, 08:55:18 AM »
The dyno session went fairly well. We are still having fuel distribution issues. We made 300 hp and 420 ft lbs of torque @ 4000 rpm. This is the highest rpm we were able to tune due to the fuel issues. The good news is, we brought it home all in one piece.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #172 on: April 20, 2010, 12:06:10 PM »
That's a gob of torque!  Have you any idea of the amount of twist from end to end of that super-long crank at 3000 RPM?  I've heard some crazy figures.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: April 20, 2010, 03:09:32 PM »
I vote for Injectors in the individual intake tubes to "trim" each cyl.  might be easy to boost register them.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: April 20, 2010, 09:24:29 PM »
I vote for Injectors in the individual intake tubes to "trim" each cyl.  might be easy to boost register them.

There's the rub - trimming each cylinder on shared intake ports.  But looking back at this build, maybe that might be an approach - use the TB injectors as the "main course" and tweak the intakes to keep the burn consistent between cylinders.  O2 sensors on each exhaust for feedback to the ECU? :roll:  Kinda thinking out loud . . .

What are your spark plugs looking like after this excursion? 

Either way, great progress, guys.

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2010, 04:56:34 PM »
That's a gob of torque!  Have you any idea of the amount of twist from end to end of that super-long crank at 3000 RPM?  I've heard some crazy figures.

Stan

Our mustang dyno is "LOTS" lower reading than all the non-SAE dynos out there.  To give you an idea, on a superflow engine dyno this engine would show to 500+ ft-lbs of torque.   It's definitely making big power for what it is!!

Back 4 cylinders showed average AFR exactly 2 points leaner than the front 4.  Once we figured out what was happening, it was easy to make it run clean - just a little concerned about the back four jugs being in the 14s AFR at WOT and 12psi though.

Offline GH

« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2010, 09:06:01 AM »
Mike purchased an LM-2, wideband oxygen sensor with 2 sensors. We have the air-fuel ratio pretty close through about 3000 rpm. So, we are headed back to Ohmaha this Sunday to put the finish tune on it.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: June 09, 2010, 11:31:16 PM »
Gary

Good luck this weekend.  Don't use it all up on the dyno -  save some for the salt!

Of course, we'd all LOVE to see some video from the dyno - if you can make the time.

Chris

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #178 on: June 09, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
I vote for Injectors in the individual intake tubes to "trim" each cyl.  might be easy to boost register them.

Sparky, we're grouping the injectors into two "banks" then tuning each individually.  His megasquirt allows dual VE table tuning so, two separate sets of tables for each bank.

He needs maybe 10% more fuel in one bank than the other.   So, not individual cylinder trim but, close.  Hopefully it works!  At least for this year, so we can get the boys started on that Turbo setup for next season...   :-D

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2010, 10:26:50 AM »
Mission accomplished!!  The guys are on their way home this morning with a tuned and running XXO !

All 8 plugs come out looking the same too.   Mike's "supplemental injector" idea worked out pretty good.   Be sure to take a look at it on the salt this year - coilpacks, custom crank trigger, upgraded blower making 12psi, and runs like a champ!