Author Topic: EFI straight eight Buick  (Read 142088 times)

Offline Buickguy3

Re: EFI straight eight Buick
« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2009, 10:32:18 AM »
GH,
   None of the old Buick books list any bearing widths until the 1953 manual, and then only the V-8 at .881. Glad to see it's coming together. Did the rod stop on the crank and break, or did the piston stop in the cyl and fold up the rod? From the pics, I couldn't tell if there were score marks on the piston.
Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline RichFox

« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2009, 11:16:11 AM »
Glad to hear it's not worse than it is. I don't mind blowing one up on the salt. I would hate it on the dyno.

Offline GH

« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2009, 02:42:39 PM »
We think it was an oiling problem. We added an oil filter and the fittings going to and from the filter was 3/8" pipe threads, pretty small on the ID, quite smaller than the main oil galley. It looks like the rod bearing seized on the crank and pulled the rod bolts out.   Rich, we think it was better to have happened on the dyno than running across the salt and have it lock up, no telling what would have happened. On the data logs the rpm went from 2200 to 0 in less than a second.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2009, 11:00:56 PM »
Let's hope that's the fix.  Hate to be a pest, but we love your pics.

I remember commenting on those rods - They looked pretty stout, and I didn't think you were winding it tight enough on the dyno for a rod to let go on its own accord.

Best wishes.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2009, 11:31:16 PM »
[.   Rich, we think it was better to have happened on the dyno than running across the salt and have it lock up, no telling what would have happened. On the data logs the rpm went from 2200 to 0 in less than a second.
[/quote]On the vido I thought the rear wheels kept spinning being pushed by the roller. I saw the blower stop. I blew one Plymouth way worse than that at El Mirage, and it kept running until the crank snout wiggled around enough that the fuel pump drive belt came off.

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2009, 11:34:18 PM »
On the vido I thought the rear wheels kept spinning being pushed by the roller. I saw the blower stop.

I was off the gas, in gear when it started to let go (so yes, being pushed by the rollers) but as soon as I heard the sound of "ice going through a giant blender" I clutched it.  was too late by then, of course.

Offline GH

« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2009, 09:30:54 AM »
Just found out Friday that the rod bearings are the same width for all 3 sizes of the Buick straight eights. Now we can find out if the crank will clean up at one of the bearing diameters, then we can order the rods. The rods might beat us home from speedweek, hope hope....

Offline GH

« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2009, 10:28:28 AM »
Mike just received the new rods from GRP, now we can get back to putting the engine together. We still have to figure out the induction problems we had. Too much area by using the throttle body we had, just crack it open and the rpm went way up, it would be very hard to drive.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2009, 08:33:50 PM »
Glad you got the parts in, but it is regrettable that they didn't arrive in time to sort it all out for WF.  Thanks for keeping us posted on this, and good luck with the induction - you're certainly not taking the the path of least resistance. :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2009, 03:27:16 PM »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:03:59 AM by panic »

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2009, 09:33:34 PM »
Good article on creating start up/base line set ups for EFI systems in the latest [Fall] Engine Masters magazine.  Might find some information in it that would help you. 

Available in my area off the rack at local supermarkets or Barnes and Noble.  My copy is currently out on loan and probably won't be back for a week or so otherwise I would look into it again as it might apply to your problem.

Ed Purinton

Offline GH

« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2009, 09:08:51 AM »
MIke took all the pieces out to be balanced yesterday. On the throttle body problem, we had thought about using an Enderle hat on top of the blower with the efi injecters in it. A bug catcher would have smaller openings than the throttle body we now have. Ours have an area of 30 square inches.

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2009, 06:06:13 PM »
Good article on creating start up/base line set ups for EFI systems in the latest [Fall] Engine Masters magazine.  Might find some information in it that would help you. 

Available in my area off the rack at local supermarkets or Barnes and Noble.  My copy is currently out on loan and probably won't be back for a week or so otherwise I would look into it again as it might apply to your problem.

Ed Purinton

we're pretty sure there wasn't any issue with the EFI. 

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »
ALBIQUQU---we loved your car on the SALT
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline GH

« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2010, 09:58:32 AM »
Well, a lot of time has past since the last post on the Buick rebuild. Mike has been extra busy (he still works), but we are getting ready to start the assembly. I think we have finalized what we are going to do with the induction. Purchase an Enderle bug catcher and set it on top of the other throttle body we used last year that has the injectors in it and remove the two rectangle butterflys.