Author Topic: EFI straight eight Buick  (Read 142109 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: EFI straight eight Buick
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2009, 11:13:55 AM »
They told me that it worked fine when it didn't catch fire. This is pretty much the same deal as my Plymouth times two.

Offline GH

« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2009, 04:38:30 PM »
Here is a couple of photos of the efi hat assembly less the scoop.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2009, 06:58:30 PM »
GH,
Very neat, and clean. Are you running a set of secondary injectors down in the manifold also?
Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline GH

« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2009, 08:32:25 AM »
Hi Doug, we installed two injecters in the plenom pointed toward the front two intake ports, just incase we need them.

Offline GH

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2009, 11:35:31 AM »
We got the Buick running on the new throttle body injection, then changed the ignition over to the coil packs. We are cleaning up all the wiring now, we are going to drain all the gas out of the car and switch over to E-85, and do some tuning. Tomorrow  we go to the chassis dyno for the final tuning.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2009, 12:12:42 PM »
Gary what type of gas are you going to run on the dyno with?

Offline GH

« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2009, 02:17:02 PM »
 Troy,   We have a barrel that is 2 years old, SACCO 118. I think, I am not at home, don't know for sure.

Offline GH

« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2009, 09:43:19 AM »
BAD NEWS ON THE BUICK. It has a hole in the drivers side of the block with the #2 rod sticking out of it. The Buick project is over for this year.

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2009, 09:53:57 AM »
Gary what type of gas are you going to run on the dyno with?

we ended up running both e85 and the 118 from ERC.

We started to run out of injector on the e85, so we switched to the 118 and made a few pulls up to 4800rpm.  The engine was making about 300whp and 360wtq, or right about 400hp at the flywheel.

On the "last pull" I rolled into the throttle at 2500rpm and that's when it felt like an ice cube in a blender.   The datalogs show the crank position sensor stopped in about .08 seconds from 2800rpm, but the back half of the engine took a little more time to slow down (as seen in the video).  I am pretty sure we broke the crankshaft, not sure if it was the crank or the rod that broke first however.  We'll know when they tear it down sometime soon.  I'm working on the video, other than the breakage the engine was running very good!!  made about 12psi of manifold pressure at 4800rpm.  Had no problems with fuel distribution (as seen on the plugs and EGTs).  We don't think we were detonating or running lean and it felt "happy" right up to the point she let go.

Hopefully I'll have some video up today.  We got 3 hours of footage!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2009, 10:02:34 AM »
GH and guys----so sad to hear the news--- :-(
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2009, 10:59:25 AM »
Really sorry to hear that. You'll get 'um next year.

Offline CNC-Dude

« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2009, 01:54:22 PM »
BAD NEWS ON THE BUICK. It has a hole in the drivers side of the block with the #2 rod sticking out of it. The Buick project is over for this year.
Thats a real bummer, I was looking forward to seeing what the straight 8 would do. Do you have any ideas what HP range you might expect of see out of it.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2009, 05:20:30 PM »

I love your statement:" other than the breakage the engine was running very good!!" 

That is kind of like the question to Abe Lincoln's wife as she walked out of the Ford Theater, "Other than that how was the play?"!!!

Like everone else I am really sad to hear that she "blowed up" and we will not be able to see your efforts next month.

What are your plans now?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2009, 05:41:10 PM »
GH,
   Sorry to hear that. We put the SaltCat away 'til August. We don't know how many full pass' the 1936 technology will stand until the 4 foot crank unwinds itself. We've been in contact with the people at Murphy's Machine about a crank for next year. [Maybe they'd give us a package deal]. They deal with those pulling tractors that spit the blocks and heads out of the tractors and the crank stays in one piece in the chassis. I don't know if that's a testament to the crank strength or just the dynamics of the whole thing. Looks pretty impressive when it happens. I contacted a couple of other companies, and nobody has called or answered back after two months. Anyway, sorry about the disaster, but hope we'll see you on the Salt. Doug :-(
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2009, 08:24:21 PM »
This is heartbreaking.  You've put so much effort into this, and you haven't cut any corners. 

Keep us posted, and don't give up. 

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: