Author Topic: Sportster/Buell Land Speed Build  (Read 100551 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Sportster/Buell Land Speed Build
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2008, 09:11:48 PM »
Got the fuel tank mounted ... I took Scott's advice and rubber mounted it ... I will do the same with the oil tank ... JD

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2008, 09:22:49 PM »
Got the fuel tank mounted ... I took Scott's advice and rubber mounted it ... I will do the same with the oil tank ... JD

No pictures.... :x

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2008, 07:05:23 PM »
I was busy all week and didn't get a chance to work on the bike until today. Having a job really gets in the way of building a race bike. A good friend happens to be a machinist and he made me 5/16 blind bungs to use for vibration isolation mounts. I bought the tank mounts for the oil and fuel tank from the Bung King.

mounting tabs welded on frame

rubbers installed

tank bungs welded in

fuel tank installed in frame

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2008, 07:11:08 PM »

blind bungs in the oil tank bottom

cross tube added to rest oil tank on

welding bungs in oil tank bottom

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2008, 07:16:11 PM »

oil tank in place

viewed from the side

front view

Offline Geo

« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2008, 07:53:11 PM »
Wow! Like the mounting tabs.  And even better is the fitment of the oil tank!  :cheers: Great work.

Geo

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2008, 08:08:45 PM »
Good idea Joe to use stock rubber tank mounts...........why didn't I think of that??

Offline willieworld

« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2008, 08:22:45 PM »
Joe              nice work                  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2008, 08:42:05 PM »
Scott - I used the rubber mounts because of the problems you had with vibration cracking motor mounts.

Offline Friday1

• New folks
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2009, 09:12:59 PM »
I was reading about your sprockets, etc for the rear chain. On our Pro Stock Sportster based dragbike, we had a "bottle gear" for the rear. It was a sprocket on a piece of thickwall Chromoly so the spline for the tranny was one one end and the sprocket on the other. THen we had a 3/4" thick aluminum plate on solid 1" aluminum stanchions that spaced the plate out to the right level to get past the car tire. THe opening in the bottle gear tube on the sprocket end housed a big thick bearing to support the far end of the bottle gear. We would launch this at about 8,000 rpm, shift at 9,000+. I made damn sure the rear axle was in line with the rear of the frame to the 001" so it would always launch straight. I machined the rear parts/pieces so it was all straight and true so all measurements were correct. We used stock Sporty oil pump for a year and then my partner (he was the rider and the $$)got sucked into a dry sump system and it was a comedy of errors for the eight horsepower it was supposed to be good for. I safety wired EVERYTHING! It took a while to put together but we never had anything come loose. Looks like from your pics you are taking your time, doing a great job. Make sure if you have to change sprockets for a different ratio you will still have room between tire and oil tank. Will the tire grow? We had batteries, oil and fuel and fuel pump all in front of motor down low. Built a fairing from aluminum first then carbon to cover all this and give good aero chracteristics. It looked like a Busa kind of from the front with fairing in place. Friday in snowy Ohio
Black bikes are faster

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2009, 09:19:21 PM »
FriD,
I would appreciate any photos that you have ... I will probably have to locate the battery up front ... Joe

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2009, 09:31:22 PM »
FriD,
On the 1000cc bike I had the tire positioned about an inch off the rear monoshock mount and it never touched. Same tire/wheel size, so that should not be an issue. I made the oil tank out of 11 gauge just in case it rubs. There is 1-1/4 clearance with the wheel pushed full forward in the axle guides. I anticipate that it will be set somewhere near an 1-1/2+ when the chain is installed and tensioned. I will have the bike ready for Maxton in April but it might be naked. I am anticipating using Kent's Charlie Toy fairing in front and the rear is anybody's guess right now.

Joe

Offline Friday1

• New folks
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2009, 12:17:26 PM »
We used 18 volt DC Milwaukee batteries. One for the fuel pump and data logger and the other just the ignition system. Each had a slide on base so it was a breeze to change during turnaround-sometimes very short when they juggle classes so Top Fuel gets to show off. I can't remember who made the slide-on bases but they were very slick. We had four batteries one set always on charge. Each battery's voltage  was data logged for the entire time the motor was running so if there was a problem it would be easier to pinpoint-low voltage can masquerade as a number of problems. Don't think I have many pics but I will look. Lead acid batteries don't like a Harley's vibration and AGM batteries don't either. We never had a failure in 150+ runs on the track and many on the dyno with the 18 volt Milwaukee batteries. If something will fall off or fail from vibration it will on a dynomometer! Are you planning to run a starter? I think my x-race partner has the starter box for sale I built-it goes right on the crankshaft bolt that holds the front primary sprocket on. Two 1000 cold crank amp batteries, 24 volt M-42 diesel starter, 3 to 1 gear reduction so it will spin a while with 17 to 1 compression. OK I am leaving for NY State but will look at my email when I get back on Friday 16th.
Black bikes are faster

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2009, 01:28:55 PM »
I will try and use a heavy duty Harley starter with a contact solenoid. I don't know how well this is going to work with a 13 to 1 compression 80 cu in motor.

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2009, 01:45:20 PM »
Have you thought about compression releases? I'm having my heads machined for them just in case. You can always plug the holes. Just another 2c
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651