Author Topic: Sportster/Buell Land Speed Build  (Read 100549 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Sportster/Buell Land Speed Build
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2010, 09:16:27 AM »
After my test ride it looks like the only way to turn this thing is to shut it off and do a 3 point turn ... the turn around from pre-stage at Maxton will be an adventure ... slow and sure is going to be the rule ...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2010, 09:20:57 AM »
Joe, all you'll need to do is follow me when I'm riding the "Icebreaker" bike.  As I get to staging I simply make a 270 degree turn -- about 100 feet in diameter, using most of the pad at the end of the crossing runway.  REALLY SLOW -- and even then I now and then have to put a foot down 'cause I've tried turning too sharp.  Practice, practice -- and I know exactly what you mean about the three-point turns.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2010, 10:15:17 AM »
Slim,
I will follow you ... the sweeping wrong way turn you do will work ... Once you realize that it won't turn (which isnt really a bad thing in land speed racing) you just have to plan your turns ... I was unpleasantly surprised at the corner in front of the house but it was similar to the drag bike I ran years ago. Same ugly turning radius plus I had to fight the steering dampers at low speed (which wouldnt be a bad thing at high speed) ...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2010, 10:35:32 AM »
Joe, I've got a Scott's damper -- easy to reach from the riding position.  So I make sure I "tighten" it while I'm in the staging lines and loosen it again when I'm slowing, in shutdown.  As for the thing about forgetting how little it'll turn -- maybe you don't remember a few years ago when I was at the fuel truck and departed, planning on doing a 180 and going to the pit.  I wanted to turn way tighter than the bike would allow -- and that's when I dumped it at about 1 mph  on the pit road.  I still haven't lived that one down.

At Bonneville there's nary a problem - partly 'cause the bike is on the transporter trailer most of the time, and the rest of the time it's got about a quarter-mile to make the 180 from the course to the return road.  There I'm not bothered by the 15-degree-max. rule.  At ECTA events -- unh, different story. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2010, 12:28:51 PM »
I will be able to get off the course at the big end at Maxton without a problem .... The way I did it at Atco on the drag bike ... engine off ... clutch in ... sweeping arc ...

Offline t russell

« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2010, 12:32:05 PM »
Can't wait to see it at Maxton Joe  :cheers:
x2

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2010, 10:32:53 PM »
went over the bike very carefully ... torqued all the bolts and drilled a bunch for safety wire ... not very comfortable riding position so  I raised the clip ons up higher for shorter reach ...regeared based on discussion on what Scott used at ElMo ... I will rework the trailer for the longer wheel base ... this machine is ready

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2010, 12:29:25 AM »
Good luck Joe! Give me a call when you want to talk about making that triple tree.

Scott

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #158 on: July 18, 2010, 04:10:37 PM »
Just finished the trailer for Bonneville ... bike rolls on and off easily

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #159 on: July 18, 2010, 04:16:25 PM »
Almost looks like one of Willie's side hack jobs ... Recap of Maxton in June, bike handled really well. Rigid frame was a non-event. Felt the big bump at 3/4 mile but I did with the coil over swingarm 60 cu in bike also. Low speed handling was not as bad as anticipated. Used Slim's method of sweeping 270 turns instead of tight 90's and it worked like a charm. Down stairs power was twice what the 60 cu in motor had but it fell on its face at the big end. Only would go 147. Consensus of opinion is that I am under carb'd. I ran an S&S 'G'. Same as I did on the 60 cu in bike. Moving up to an S&S 'D' for Loring.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #160 on: July 18, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »
Interesting development. AMA changed the rules for open class bikes. Seems that the square metal can I use for s seat and fender might offer some aero advantage? Soooo, I changed over to an old school chopper fender and no seat ... just a bar.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #161 on: July 18, 2010, 04:20:59 PM »
New seating position is actually more comfortable then with the tin box.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #162 on: July 18, 2010, 04:53:48 PM »
New seating position is actually more comfortable then with the tin box.

And it looks better as well! Nice job Joe!

Talk to Dan at NHRS about the S&S D he worked mine over and installed a thunder jet for mine.

Give me a call when you are ready to talk triple trees, I am just about ready.

Scott

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2010, 10:20:48 PM »
Looks good Joe, make sure the front fender fits their rules too, I know Scott had to cut his up quite a bit.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline willieworld

« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2010, 10:39:44 PM »
55         bike looks great --i like the new fender better ----put a safety chain on the trailer --trust me on that one   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta