Author Topic: New guy seeks help.  (Read 14960 times)

Offline RICK

Re: New guy seeks help.
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2004, 10:43:00 AM »
OK, I'm almost settled down enough to type again. This freakin, frackin, son of a,, mother, cork, bastage,!@#$%^&*!, RULE BOOK issue, has got me soooo !@@##$%^!.
  I'm looking at the current 2004 NHRA rule book[that I recieved Dec 2003] and was wondering, If I built a 34 5-win to NHRA super comp specs, just how far off would it be from SCTA.
  So, if anybody has a current SCTA/BNI USFRA rule book,could you please tell me;
 1] At what point does the rollcage go from mild steel to 4130?
 2]At what point does a manual bell housing go to SFI scatter shield?
 3]At what point is a chute required?
 4]At what point is SFI flywheel required?
 5] Tires? At what point can I not run "frontrunners"?
 6]Fuel?Is there a SPEC? What type? From where? Gas vs Alchol?
  I am determined! Even if I have to go to the post office at midnight july 15 with my entry form and just a picture of a pile of tube and tires, I'm gonna be there in Sept!
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »
My not necessarly correct answers.                #1. Never, there is no requirement for 4130       #2. Always, all cars need a scattershield, can be external.                                         #3. If the record is over 175 or you expect to run close to 175, bring a chute.                  #4. See #2                                        #5. I have seen some very fast cars with Frontrunners on them. How heavy will yours be? Should be legal, if your happy.                   #6. Event gas in gas classes. Any fuel in fuel classes.       Good luck on getting your book

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2004, 04:28:00 PM »
Rick, for what your doing the 2003 book is more than likley 99.9% right. #2 & #4 page 31 3.0...we not use SFI specs for them because don't expect you to buy a new one every few years, we are not the NHRA. Your typical Lakewood or Mclead housing is what you want if one is available for your eng/trans combo. If you are using some odd combination we allow you to make a 360 degree 1/4" thick shield that will protect your legs/feet incase of a clutch/flywheel failure. The flywheel will need to be as specified. no cast iron or cast aluminum allowed: so buying a SFI one is a good thing. Event gasoline (if your running gasoline) will be at Bonneville for SCTA/BNI sanctioned events. You still need to pay for it however. (No plastic containers) good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline RichFox

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2004, 08:38:00 PM »
JD-No plastic containers? Is that right? What are the Jazz jugs I have been using?  Rich Fox

katzt

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »
There's an update on Roll bar/cage in '04 rule book.  It says all cars & trucks built after Jan. 01, 2004 must have roll cages regardless of class you're in.  JFYI.

Tech officials seem to prefer 1.75" tubing instead of 1.625" tubing (My friends told me so).

Offline RICK

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2004, 01:49:00 AM »
RULE BOOK ARRIVED!!!!!!!
  But as good as that is, I still have those stupid questions.
  So, the safety inspectors will look for SFI tags but not the dates?
  Page 56 of rule book "One of the following modifications MUST be done....... Does that mean only one or one or more?
 JD- No plastic containers? Whats that mean?
 Page 28, nets? Does that say the net goes from the top of the door opening to the sill plate?
 Event gasoline? Does that mean I'll be required to use 'THIER' gas? What octane is that?
          Thanks Rick.

dwarner

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2004, 10:45:00 AM »
Rick,

A couple of answers:

Safety item dates are specifically looked at for fire bottles, belts and helmet. All other SFI tag required items are not date restricted.

Page 56 - only one of the modifications MUST be done, you can build your car using all allowed modifications that are class specific, i.e chopped top, full belly pan, etc. are allowed for a Comp Coupe class car.

Door nets can be a full door net or a combo of a window net and a leg restraint system using bars, panels or nets.

Event gasoline has been provided(you still must pay for it) by ERC for the last several years at all salt events. Rick Gold brings a wide varity of blends to suit all engine combinations. If you have a specific need give him a call, ad is in rulebook, and he will accomendate you. Rick is very knowlegable and will help you all he can.

For record runs you must qualify using the event gasoline. The tank is sealed when filled. The seal is inspected during the impound procedure. Following the second half of the record run you will return to the impound and the tank seal will again be inspected.

As to the "no plastic containers" I'll let JD field that one as I'm confused as to what he meant with that comment.

Keep asking questions, hope to see you at an event this summer,

Dan

Dan

Offline RICK

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2004, 08:37:00 PM »
I was told....... "If you want to go to Bonneville, your first time, You best go when serious racing isnt taking place. Stay out of the way of real racers."
  Makes sence. If I want to tune a drag car, I go on wendsday night, not on a national event weekend. So,,,,,when is that?
  Just what is USFRA world of speed?
  I read the 130/150 club rules, how does that relate to scta rules?
 150 club rules state a 161 max?
 When I thumbed thru SCTA rules and records, seems like all were set in Aug. and Oct. for Bonneville, seperate chapters for El Mirage/Muroc, nothing about USFRA or World of Speed event?
  My plan was to go in Sept. Is  that when its less 'frantic' Good idea? Bad idea?
 Please,,,fill me in.
 Thanks  Rick.

Offline SaltRat

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 11:39:00 PM »
http://www.saltflats.com/

September.  the 130/150 clubs are short course.
 (but street legal cars only)

Check the rules for running the long course.
 SCTA rule book, but a diff. santioning group.
 (chime in if I'm off base here . . .)

IMO, one needs some recon . . .  maybe other just want to jump right in and go.  

Currently, all I have is a pokey old 150 mph street car . . . .(don't tell the spousal unit there are more on the horizon.)

If your "real" car won't be ready for august, take something out in sept and check out things.

My nickels worth . . ..

SaltRat
SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.

dwarner

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2004, 09:55:00 AM »
Rick,

Not true, you are welcome at any event on the salt. Just like drag racing there is a lot of time spent waiting in the staging lanes. A good time to speak with the crews, you won't be bugging them while they are making decisions in the pit area.

The 130/150 club are exclusive to the USFRA and run during their World of Speed meet in Sept. Check out the rules at the link to their website on the front page of this site.

The USFRA use the same classes as the SCTA-BNI. Records set at the World of Speed are incorporated into the record section of the rulebook. Records are listed by year only so it is difficult to determine at what event the record was set.

The World of Speed and World Finals in Oct. are less populated than Speedweek and allow for more
 time to do your research. A benefit of the WoS & WF is that accomendations are easier to get in town as August is usually booked months in advance.

Dan

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2004, 11:58:00 AM »
OK!!!! plastic jugs.  Last I HEARD Rick Gold would not put any GASOLINE in to a plastic jug for transport, this included on the salt. I havn't used gasoline for the last 5 years so I can't speak for a personal observance.. I have however resealed plastic jugs in impounds when witnessing fuel checks.....That's IT
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline RICK

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2004, 03:32:00 PM »
Tech question; rule book page 34, seetion 3.S DRIVE LINES:  'All traction bars and trailing links shall have a metal sling near the front attaching point with w minimum of 1/4" diameter"??? Just what does that really mean?
  If I have a 4 bar or 4 link rear suspension, do I need to put some type of safety retainer on the front of each bar or "trailing link"?
  If someone could elaborate on this for me, tell me what you run, on what type car, what class, I would greatly appreciate it.
     Thanks again, Rick.

Offline fwillyj

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2004, 05:22:00 PM »
-If one of the forward facing links broke and dropped down it would dig into the salt creating a gouge in the salt and depending on the length and the speed of the car could cause the car to crash.
 -I think the idea is if the front heim end was to break you need some sort of a cable or mechanical method to guarantee that link can't hit the ground at speed.
 -Something like a 1/4" diameter cable loop should be adequate.

Offline RICK

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2004, 08:08:00 PM »
So,,,,does anybody really KNOW,,"metal sling"---"with a minimum of 1/4"diameter"  Is that 4 little cable loops? Is that like 4 little driveshaft loops?
  I really need to KNOW the exact spec. on this.

thanks Rick

dwarner

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2004, 09:15:00 AM »
A 1/4" or larger dia. steel cable will satisfy this requirement. A loop of tubing or 1/4" strap will also be acceptable. The lakester I work on uses a 1/4" strap which covers both of the rear links, bolted to the chassis between the links.