Author Topic: Visiting school kids at WOS  (Read 4781 times)

Offline Buickguy3

Visiting school kids at WOS
« on: October 13, 2008, 01:23:47 PM »
This was our first year with a car on the Salt. We were really impressed with how everything was handled, especially how helpful everybody was. While in the pits doing a little Budweiser engineering after we got back from impound, a bus load of school kids pulled up, and started through the pits and wandered over to where our car was setting. They came over and started asking questions, and taking pictures. I don't mean the shallow type of questions, I mean the ones that you have to know the answer to or they will catch your little fib. They stayed for over half an hour. The next day when we were in staging, two more bus loads pulled up, and came over and it started again, with the questions and the pictures. They knew about turbos, and fuel curves and detonation and much more. I was too busy answering questions to ask where they were from and what program got them there. Does anybody know who puts that trip together? From what I gleaned from the kids, I'm pretty sure that we'll see them out on the Salt as competitors in the future. What a great way to get new interest. Who ever got it going, Thanks!!  :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline sabat

Re: Visiting school kids at WOS
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 01:42:17 PM »
I talked to a few of them too. They asked about the turbo compressor trim, compression ratio, fuel. They said they were from a high school automotive class in Ogden I think.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 02:26:54 PM »
I was somewhat puzzeled when they looked at the old 4 door sedan Jag, and said things like Neat, and Cool. I had to look twice to see what they were talking about. Somebody said it was it was something that they could relate to. How far away is Ogden from the Salt? Hope they can do it again next year, and more people can take the time to show them around. They are the future.
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline sabat

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »
I think it's about a half hour North of SLC. Definitely an enthusiastic bunch.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »
Ogden has something in the water.

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Wester

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 03:23:15 PM »
Several USFRA local members have been involved in getting school kids onto the salt.  The highest profile one is Todd Low from Utah Valley University in Orem Utah (formerly UVSC) who teaches in their automotive program.  That's 160 miles from the salt.  He has student help in preparing and running his Camaro AA/CGC.  Just needs nine more mph to get a red hat, he ran a 192.075 on Saturday morning.  He is responsible for several of the groups who came out this year.  Some were from over two hundred miles away from the salt.  All his efforts in the schools are designed to get more students to become technicians trained for local dealership's back shops where the dealers make their money.

The electrathon vehicles that were running on the 130 Club course are attributable to Brent and Kent Singleton from Ogden , also about 160 miles from the salt, who are big into alternative energy sources.  Brent is a student at Weber State University.  They had as guests a grade school group from Salt Lake City who won a contest to be able to come to the salt.  A tough trip to get approved with today's school transportation cut backs in the SLC district.

Other school groups have been coming to the World of Speed meets for years thanks to other club members inspiration.  They get in free as do servicemen and women and old guys my age, Glenn's and even younger.  We figure that those kids are the next generation of car enthusiasts and anything we can do to expose them to racing and cars is a bonus for everyone involved in the sport.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 03:23:53 PM »
A Buick straight eight in a Jag sedan. And people say a Packard in a Vega is weird

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 05:16:26 PM »
Rich, a Packard in a Vega is not weird at all,, it is darn right "eccentric"   :evil:
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 05:34:48 PM »
a vega motor in a packard would be weird.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 06:20:08 PM »
If anybody sees the organizers personally, Thank them from the old guy with the Jag. Have them stop by next year and I'll thank them myself. Doug :-D
It's not so strange at all. It's what we had in the back yard when we were Budweiser engineering one weekend and being old Buick guys, the straight eight was the only way to power the Salt project. We put a perfectly dry engine in it and a week later it started to leak oil. Go figure.
                   [America]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »
Rich:  A couple of months ago, when your Vegard (I think that's a new name -- you might copyright it) was in line next to us, I took a couple of photos of the motor - to show my dad, seeing as how he used to have a Packard or two.  He was visiting us last weekend -- and was stumped when I showed him a Vega with ... what motor is that?  I had him look closely at the rocker covers -- nice and visible.  He stood at the monitor and kept looking for quite a while, shaking his head in wonderment.  Thanks for helping me entertain him.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 07:43:30 PM »
My pleasure

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 04:11:46 PM »
When I first came over to Speed Week in 2000, I shipped two bikes out to LA. My brother and I came over with five school children that I taught, aged 15-16. It was quite a learning curve!
With my current streamliner project we are again getting youngsters involved, and some University students with their professors who I hope will come out when we ship the streamliner over. I think involving the youth is invaluable. The young girls riding at BUB was inspirational!
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!