Author Topic: World finals , So, who's up for it ?  (Read 15597 times)

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
Re: World finals , So, who's up for it ?
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2008, 12:54:10 AM »
Hey!

We've run in the rain, sometimes so hard you can hardly see out the windshield at the start.

But about 200mph it all blows away and you can see jus' fine.  So whuts the problem?

I'll tell you.  Wind is the problem.

If someone wil 'splain to me how to post a video, I'll show you one from a few years back with drops on the lens of the video camera.  We ran anyway.

Besides who would want to miss a meet where you put on your firesuit in the hotel room and wear it all day?  None of that hangin' out in the Monster "pit" just to stay alive.

And yeah, a MUCH bigger chance of getting skunked.  Unless of course you're a school bus full of kids, right?

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2008, 01:17:02 AM »
Just got my engine back from the machine shop will begin the thrash on Saturday. A|CFALT Car # 630. 71 Camaro. Gary

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2008, 01:34:14 AM »
All American Flooring (rulebook pg.208) finished the house today; hardwood in 3 bedrooms, hall, living room, and dining room along with 5" base boards so it looks like we are going. Place never looked so good.

Roadster was in the trailer because we needed the storage in the garage for household items. Now I just need to get in some of the cabinates for loading the rest Sunday.

We had only 2 days last year...You take what the salt gods give..Friday/Saturday look to be pretty cold so I don't need to look for any shorts. Those long sleeve tees from ERC look pretty good right now.

Mike Jr. was over today bringing some more baseboards and still had salt under the pickup from the FIA/FIM meet.

Last meeting said there were over 140 entries but I'm not sure on that................See those that are going to be there and see the rest of you in the funny papers :-D.............................JD and Patrick
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2008, 01:39:45 AM »
JD,

I look forward to seeing you on the salt :cheers:..when ya leaving..

J

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2008, 09:16:17 AM »
John, Monday in the early AM.....Tech is Tuesday......................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2008, 09:24:02 AM »
Hey!

And yeah, a MUCH bigger chance of getting skunked.  Unless of course you're a school bus full of kids, right?

Jim

Jim, the kids went nearly 70 in the third mile if I remember correctly.... Good run for a bus that size, don't remember the terminal speed, but they picked up a MPH in each of the last 2 miles...  :-o
see ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2008, 11:17:56 AM »
  Have faith brothers and sisters and take your Hawaiian shirts, flip flops and sun tan lotion...and warm clothes, just in case.

I just checked NOAA  (spelled it right this time )   They say high temp on Monday will be 54,,, for a high !???      My long johns are gonna look funny under a short sleve Hawaiian shirt !
  I like the "tude"  I'm hearing, Yeah, lets do it !
Salt Junkie

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2008, 11:29:31 AM »
Been checking the weather several times a day in anticipation as ususal. Looks like it rained overnight in Wendover. Anyone been out to the end of the road?

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2008, 11:37:26 AM »
Just another thought,  What if,  We got the SCTA to move the finals up  a week,(earlier) ,  Or The LDS church to have  their  Bi-yearly  General confrence a week later ?
  As any one living behind the "zion Curtian"  knows it ALWAYS rains on Confrence week end, It's almost a slam dunk!   Then we'd be guarenteed good weather !   Like we say in Utah, "When the saints meet, the heavens weep !
Salt Junkie

Offline Wester

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2008, 10:42:04 AM »
I wonder if it would make any difference if the old four weeks between events on the salt criteria were applied.  Perhaps it is the El Mirage events that are the conflict for the California racers in the points chase but I thought the last El Mirage meet was on Sept. 13-14.  That put World of Speed in the 17-20 week.  That gives just two weeks before World Finals this year.

For 2009, Speed Week is August 10-16,  World of Speed is September 16-19, and World Finals is October 7-10.  Like this year that's just over two weeks between events.  Add in the BUB meet and Mike Cook's FIA-FIM certified timing meet.

Now the salt gets the use it was hoped for back when USFRA started the one day meets just to show more use by racers on the salt.  That was because the BLM wanted to cancel ALL racing events at Bonneville because the racers only used it one week out of the year.  I guess we can't expect Mother Nature to be good to us all of the time.  I've seen Speed Week shut down for several days by rain and World of Speed shortened or cancelled because of rain.  Most often World Finals either has good weather or is cancelled completely.  The later in the season it gets the harder it is to dry the salt.  Going back in history to the hot rods and jet and rocket vehicles in the 1960's, Cobb's 1947 record run and other record runs in the 1930's, many of those records were set in November.  They just waited out the weather.  Something you can do with just one vehicle.

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2008, 12:56:32 PM »
Well, I guess Ya'all  know by now, the shindig is canceled,  Darn, Poop, shucks, Flip, and every other "family friendly" cuss word I know !
Salt Junkie

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2008, 02:04:49 PM »
Hey, I like that line -- "family friendly".  Did anybody notice that I've once again changed the dirty-word censor?  I like to keep you on your toes, coming up with new ways to say things.  I admit, though, that I've even used the word "truckstop" to mean one of them.  Truckstop moved into the regular vernacular on here right quickly, didn't it?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mercflyer

• New folks
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2008, 02:19:03 PM »
Billy - Thanks alot for your help. We almost made it. Thanks to Brian, Doug, Tom & the rest. We'll do it in August. I'll see you Wednsday. Cal will be In from AK Tues. night.
Ernie Natte / Black Creek Racing

Offline cheeto racer

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2008, 08:25:41 PM »
Rats!!!! I was really looking forward to W.F.  Well Plan A is cancelled so had to come up with a plan B,   Hummmm?? what to do. Since I have the time off from work already and Brian has the shop all in order guess we are GOING FISHING!!!!!!! :-D :cheers:.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2008, 08:29:20 PM »
Well, every unhappy icon you can think of.  What a major disappointment for everyone!  I've decided that racing angel I have on my hat has got to go!  This is the 3rd time that little critter has let us down!!  Here I go and get all excited about greeting everyone at Lands End, and what happens?  Right!! That stinkin lil "R" word!!  Well, since I made it back home before everyone else, I just want to wish you all a safe year and I'll see you all at Land's End in August!!  Take care all and stay safe!!
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!