Author Topic: Fuel tank size question...  (Read 7752 times)

Offline JimL

Fuel tank size question...
« on: September 14, 2008, 01:13:13 AM »
E Fuel class engine (about 250 cubic inch), Hilborn system, methanol only....does anyone have a suggestion how much fuel tank capacity is best?  This "non-gasoline" stuff is all new to me!  :?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

JimL

Offline 55chevr

Re: Fuel tank size question...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:17:37 AM »
Jim,
Gasoline - air/fuel ratio = 13/1
Methanol - air/fuel ratio = 10/1

60 cu in Harley Davidson engine, I use 2/10 of a gallon on the 5 mile course, towing to and from ... Joe

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 03:37:07 PM »
Hello All, :-D

Just had to reply quickly when I read the A/F ratio for Methanol.....WOW! The correct number would be closer to 5:1 than the 10 listed.
Not trying to be a wisenheimer  :mrgreen:, but was afraid that one would slip by and hole a few pistons. :x

Running toward the rich side is always better than using aluminum for additional fuel. :roll: 8-)

Regards to All,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 03:48:47 PM »
And I forgot to add comments about the tank sizing: :-o

The return fuel needs to enter the tank so that it does not aerate the suction line. So make sure the return line is located in a place that will not disturb the suction line.

Sometimes the size of the fabricated tank is dictated by the real estate that is required for fittings and mounting more than how much fuel the thing needs to carry. Obviously it does not take too much volume for the task. Plan on a MINIMUM number at about 1lb/hp-hr which would be at an A/F ratio of about 6:1 and the preferred target of 5:1 would yield about 20% more fuel use. Consider having enough fuel on board to absolutely not encourage vortex generation (whirlpools) when the fuel level is low. :cheers:

Regards to All,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:33:43 PM »
JML,
The capacity related to the amount of fuel that you use is really not important, as stated by Harold the really important thing is to make the tank so that it provides your fuel pump with sufficient inlet conditions such that the pump does not cavitate. This includes making sure that the return line from the return jet (pill) is brought into the tank away from the port that is the pump inlet also this port must be below the normal level of the fuel in the tank. If the tank is very far from the pump make the tank tall so that the fuel level is above the inlet for the pump if possible, also placing the tank in front of the engine will provide some additional pump inlet charge from the acceleration of the car. A basic rule is that the size of the inlet line to the pump cannot be to big. Even if the pump only has a -8 inlet going with a -12 or -16 line will assist the pump inlet conditions. If you make the tank cylindrical and you take the fuel from the bottom, be sure to add a baffle across the tank near the bottom to prevent any vortexing. Lastly don't forget to put a breather in it to allow air to enter as the fuel level drops.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 08:22:32 PM »
My experiences is 2 to 1 on the ratio on the starting point. If you are making a tank and using aluminum have it HARD anidized (SP?) If your are planning on using a lot of gears and spinning it hard make sure you have enough.  Pay attention to that inlet to the pump like the others said. Mine is a -12 with 300 inches and get enough pump to run at least 50%...You know you want to do.....Good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 03:05:32 PM »
I got to thinking how big a tank we'd need over our 5-gallon one to run alcohol rather than gas.  Our C motor uses about  1 to 1 1/2 gallons a run including warm-up.

Then it dawned on me.  We have to have the tank sealed because of the gas.  With alcohol you could just fill it yourself after each run -- duh!

Actually you could use the same size tank for gas or alcohol because of this.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 04:12:11 PM »
I got to thinking how big a tank we'd need over our 5-gallon one to run alcohol rather than gas.  Our C motor uses about  1 to 1 1/2 gallons a run including warm-up.

Then it dawned on me.  We have to have the tank sealed because of the gas.  With alcohol you could just fill it yourself after each run -- duh!

Actually you could use the same size tank for gas or alcohol because of this.

Stan Back

The sealed tank with gas is what made me design one big enough for hopefully a couple runs before I have to go back to the line at the fuel truck.

Hey you can line up behind me again as I got the oiling/smoking problem fixed on the truck finally  :-D.  What a mess that was  :cry:.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 04:50:06 PM »
Gasoline 20,943 BTU’s/lb - 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio - 1415 BTU’s/lb of air
Methanol 9,770 BTU’s/lb - 6.4 air/fuel ratio - 1527 BTU’s/lb of air.
Not as good a heat source as gasoline, but you can run more of it.
Methanol gets you about 22% more bang and runs much cooler. You will see ice on the fuel system on a cool day.

Roughly twice as much methanol as gasoline.

Nitromethane 5,160 BTU’s/lb - 1.7:1 air/fuel ratio - 3035 BTU’s/lb of air.
Nitromethane gets you 123% more heat. Even a little adds a bunch of power.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »
Running toward the rich side is always better than using aluminum for additional fuel. :roll: 8-)

UNLESS, you're in my line of work :-D

Nick 3rd.
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 05:20:23 PM »
Racing engines like all kind of things for fuel. If you are a little lean the engine witll just turn to other "stuff" into fuel... Pistons are easier because of the density. Rings are nice, valves are harder so it takes a little longer. Alumimun heads make quite a tasty meal and keep a lot of shops in business. I think a copper gasket might make nice little desert.................Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JimL

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 02:48:28 AM »
I was looking at the engine and realized it's about 3/4 of a 327 Chevy Hilborn setup.  I still have a question...is it ok to use the poly tanks or is anodized aluminum the only choice?

Thanks for all the help.  We sure keep each other entertained with this hobby!!

I'll try to attach a quick pic of the engine sitting on the bench.

Thanks for all the help, again.
JimL

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 10:13:11 AM »

UNLESS, you're in my line of work :-D

Nick 3rd.

Boy have I learned that lesson.... got 2 sets of 3 pistons from Nick decorating my basement, my engine just likes to eat just one....

Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline RichFox

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 02:29:53 PM »
The very reason I usually buy 6 pistons for my 4 cylinder motor.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
Many use poly. I don't know how the "foam" will react with methanol if you use it. Make sure you have an adequate mounting for the tank and hold downs can secure it during an accident. Good Luck. Nice looking engine.....as for pistons I always buy 8 for my six...............JD