Author Topic: Bubs 2008 is under way!  (Read 120169 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Bubs 2008 is under way!
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2008, 05:23:22 PM »
I wanted to have live audio streaming at SpeedWeek but didn't get everything put together in time.  I will have it on the site, for no cost to you folks, for next year's SW -- maybe this fall at WF if I can get things ready.

I'll use the audio from the CB, with Glen and whomever announcing speeds and that stuff, along with the broadcast from radio 1610 (or, as it'll be at WF, radio 89.7).  I'll send it up to the internet in one stream and let the server take care of splitting it up for youse guys.  It should work just dandy with the equipment I've got available now, and whatever cost there is shouldn't be hard to recoup from a sponsor.  

I know how valuable it would be to everyone at home -- to hear the engines starting up at the line, to hear Glen calling out his famous patter (WHAT'S BETTER THAN HEARING HIM SAY "NICE RUN, JON, TELL NANCY TO TAKE IT TO IMPOUND!"), and so on.  I can just imagine how cool it'll be to hear that stuff during a meet -- when I'm stuck at home.

Stay with me, folks -- I'm still new at this.  But, for the sake of saying how good it can be -- Nancy and I are at about the four mile right now as I'm posting this message.  Life is good -- temps in the mid-70s,, gentle winds, fast bikes going past.

Oh, yeah -- the Bub liner is waiting for the wind to die down, they told us when we were at that start line an hour or so ago.  They also told me they've got the motor set at about 400 hp.

Max's three-wheeled liner left the line and putt-putted for a couple of miles, then cleared up at the two -- and apparently veered gently to the right before going out of sight.  I haven't been back to the pit to ask what's going on.

Buddfab put in a run -- and I still cannot get the run logs.  Sorry -- I've tried, but this, that and the other reason has kept the date from getting to me.  Soon, folks, soon.

Other stuff:  We stopped at the EZ-Hook pit to deliver Pork Pie's photo to Sam, and he said he'd likely be taking the bike out for a run later today.  I'll get you some information about that soon.  And when we drove past the Ack pits I didn't see Rocky -- maybe he's hiding in the trailer, maybe he's not on the salt right now.

Gotta got spend time with Nancy.  It's nice and lonely out here by ourselves...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2008, 05:25:10 PM »
Jon -- thanks for doing such a diligent job getting the hard data you're posting.  Where are you getting it?  Doesn't your boss mind that you're spending the whole danged day on the internet?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sabat

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2008, 05:26:21 PM »
Thanks folks for posting results, 'preciate it. -Dean

Offline Tzoom

• All revved up with no place to go - Meatloaf 1977
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2008, 05:47:03 PM »
Thanks for the updates.  I have a friend out there who is phoning me everyday with info on Max's progress.  With that info and what I'm getting here I'm sort of in the loop. If you get down to Max's pit tell Puckett hi for me.

Steve
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games --- Ernest Hemingway

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2008, 06:05:42 PM »
Cliff Gullett in the 7070 liner just made a north-to-south pass and had something happen just out of the traps -- the radio announcer says there's debris on the track, the ambulance was dispatched, and they're calling for Jack Costella to go to the scene.  No further on this yet.

Ack's Jim True says they're likely going to make a run later this afternoon.  Joe Daly (Maxton guy, rides a Buell) just turned in a 121 run.

The "international" course is on hold while they resolve the 7070 incident, other runs are continuing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

landracing

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2008, 06:16:30 PM »
Cliff Gullett just crashed the 7070.... Pencil rolled the liner then possibly endo'd it. Was not a good accident. Ambulance was there... Bad crash, Cliff taken in ambulance. This was around the timed mile.

JonAmo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2008, 06:30:52 PM »
The ambulance is sitting still out there, door open.  The debris field is about 200 yards long as far as we can tell.  Costella's van is there, the Team Bozeman support truck is there, no fire trucks.  The Bub's radio station signed off the air right after the incident, saying that since the course would be closed for a while there wasn't reason to stay on the air.

Costella's van just left the scene.  Not much movement out there.

I wonder if they've stopped the meet forthe day -- about a coupleof dozen bikes just roared past on the way back to the pits.

Post now, more later...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

racin jason

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2008, 06:38:01 PM »
Thanks for the updates Jon and Jon.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Bullet Team.

Jason McVicar

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2008, 06:43:11 PM »
Ambulance has departed, heading back to the pits, and Team Bozeman support truck is also going back there.  The team 4-wheeler is looking at the debris field, as are Bub's officials.

This report is brought to you via Bushnell 7x50 binoculars from about 400 yards off the course but otherwise near the scene of the incident.  I'm trying to give only what information I can see -- not reading anything into what I'm seeing.

End of this report -- we'll head back to the pits.  Radio Bub still not back on the air.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2008, 06:53:48 PM »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2008, 06:58:26 PM »
It's not good, folks.  I'll get correct information to you as soon as I can.  Pray for Cliff.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2008, 08:54:41 PM »
I'll continue with my posts on the Bub's event - and will let you know when I hear anything further on Cliff.

Some photos from this afternoon, including a few taken at one of the many start lines.  Here's the Buddfab bike, with 50 cc blown engine:

Here's the longest waiting line we saw:

A few bikes shot at that start line...

An '06 ZX14R.  Note the 1# (or 1 1/2#) nitrous bottle on the right rear.  The guy says he's run a 199 so far.

Here's a W I D E bike - so wide that the belly pan for it was obviously fabbed up after they had tried to get the standard size bodywork around the motor.  I couldn't get closer to the bike so I could figure out what motor it had -- the starter called it up to the line for instant launch before I could get there.

Sidecar bike (I betcha you figgered that out all by yourself without any help from me):

And yes, this is "the" Roger Goldammer.  We chatted for a while.  He says he built this bike for show AND to run, since so much of his stuff is for show only, so to speak.  It's powered by the rear cylinder of an H-D motor, head on backwards, turbo and nitrous, and really, really pretty. 

But now the bad part -- he left the line, right after telling me that he had richened the fuel map just prior to this run.  Well, he might have done better to not change it - about a thousand ducks died in the half-mile he ran before he turned out (in other words it was "shooting ducks").  No, JD, as you expected, it didn't heal itself.

Here's his photo as he put-putted down the course, hoping, waiting, not doing much good.

That's it for now.  I've got some more -- will get 'em on here soon.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 09:06:33 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2008, 09:26:22 PM »
I just tried posting a last batch of photos and something went awry, so if you se a goofy-looking post -- please ignore it.  I removed it as soon as I saw it -- but you might have seen it before I made it go away.  Sorry.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

landracing

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2008, 01:18:19 AM »
Ladies and Gents,

Due to the current topic and the recent tradegy of Cliff Gullett, they had merged into one, I have created a new Topic just for your thoughts and information of Cliff at the following link:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4592.0.html

Lets use that topic for sharing info on Cliff, and keep this topic for just for updates on BUB run info.

Thanks
Jonathan Amo

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2008, 09:01:25 AM »
I'll continue with my posts on the Bub's event - and will let you know when I hear anything further on Cliff.
Some photos from this afternoon, including a few taken at one of the many start lines.  Here's the Buddfab bike, with 50 cc blown engine:

Wow, I can't get over just how small that liner is.

Here's the longest waiting line we saw:

Everybody else in line at the Red Flame?  :-D

A few bikes shot at that start line...

It's like if Amo owned a Harley

An '06 ZX14R.  Note the 1# (or 1 1/2#) nitrous bottle on the right rear.  The guy says he's run a 199 so far.

Those look like 1.25lb bottles and I can't imagine two of them getting through the mile with anything more then a 20shot. Sure they aren't Co2 bottles to supply the shifter and he's actually running 199 on motor? Is he ruinning in a fuel class Jon? An another one with those 30lb frame sliders eh - lol.

Here's a W I D E bike - so wide that the belly pan for it was obviously fabbed up after they had tried to get the standard size bodywork around the motor.  I couldn't get closer to the bike so I could figure out what motor it had -- the starter called it up to the line for instant launch before I could get there.

Someone needs to paint a penguin on the front of that thing (kinda looks like one of my ex wifes after we split up) :-)

Sidecar bike (I betcha you figgered that out all by yourself without any help from me):

Beautiful workmanship... the tail section reaching the rear axle looks little borderline though.

Thanks man, awesome work you and Nancy are doing out there... this is the next best thing to not being at work  :-o
Todd
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 09:04:00 AM by narider »