Author Topic: Bubs 2008 is under way!  (Read 120189 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Bubs 2008 is under way!
« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2008, 07:45:29 PM »
Good run ...  congratulations ... Joe

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2008, 10:23:44 PM »
John's correct, we made a Sunday morning run of 315 and change. Took most of the meet to get up to speed. Had our share of gremlins, but to be expected since the Ack Attack had to be rebuilt from the ground up due to our crash at the 07 meet. Mike Akatiff, Ken Puccio and Frank Milburn pretty much worked nonstop to make it happen and I'm fortunate to be a part of such a great team. Jim Leale kept the motors in tune and Jim True and Buzzy Muhlbach made sure I was strapped in so tight I was turning blue (which luckily matched the paint scheme of the machine). We also get great assitance from George (Mike's brother), Christy, and Red, who always make sure whatever is needed is only an arm's length away.

Greg (Mike's son) is the electronics guru and onboard videographer. Between him with his onboard camera and Mike with his Motec downloads, you can't get nothing by these guys! Truth be told, I needed to get a few runs under my belt to regain my confidence from last year's incident. Then to have a dark cloud shadowing the event with Cliff Gullett's horrific accident made it that much tougher. In the end we were able to run her at speed and learn what changes and adjustments need to be made for the upcoming Top One Shootout. The Ack Attack has lots of untapped potential and I'm excited about what's ahead.

I should also note that my wife (Tricia) and Buzzy's wife (Jill) are also there pulling their hair and choking down antacids while pretending to be just fine with what we are doing. I'm one lucky guy and just wanted to say thanks to everyone involved with our project!  :cheers:

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #167 on: September 08, 2008, 10:41:51 PM »
John's correct, we made a Sunday morning run of 315 and change. Took most of the meet to get up to speed. Had our share of gremlins, but to be expected since the Ack Attack had to be rebuilt from the ground up due to our crash at the 07 meet. Mike Akatiff, Ken Puccio and Frank Milburn pretty much worked nonstop to make it happen and I'm fortunate to be a part of such a great team. Jim Leale kept the motors in tune and Jim True and Buzzy Muhlbach made sure I was strapped in so tight I was turning blue (which luckily matched the paint scheme of the machine). We also get great assitance from George (Mike's brother), Christy, and Red, who always make sure whatever is needed is only an arm's length away.

Greg (Mike's son) is the electronics guru and onboard videographer. Between him with his onboard camera and Mike with his Motec downloads, you can't get nothing by these guys! Truth be told, I needed to get a few runs under my belt to regain my confidence from last year's incident. Then to have a dark cloud shadowing the event with Cliff Gullett's horrific accident made it that much tougher. In the end we were able to run her at speed and learn what changes and adjustments need to be made for the upcoming Top One Shootout. The Ack Attack has lots of untapped potential and I'm excited about what's ahead.

I should also note that my wife (Tricia) and Buzzy's wife (Jill) are also there pulling their hair and choking down antacids while pretending to be just fine with what we are doing. I'm one lucky guy and just wanted to say thanks to everyone involved with our project!  :cheers:

Rocky,

You did awesome and you WILL get the record back!

You make liner riding look easy...watch out though as Sam might "slip" by... :-D

Great seeing you guys again and congrats on your award for top speed of the meet. :cheers:

J

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2008, 04:26:38 AM »
When I left the Peppermill on Sunday morning I heard that Ack and Lambsky were going to  run on Sunday, does anyone know if they did?
Steve D. here, a member of Max's crew.  We finally sorted out a few issues - ignition timing, fuel curve, slipper clutch settings, popping out of second gear - and the run Sunday morning started off good, pulling over 5000 RPM in first and second (still a little off on the fuel, should pull more RPM) and then the shaft driving the blower broke.  Max is going to figure out the gearing, but he thinks that 5500 RPM in second gear is somewhere around 260 - 270 MPH.  This speed was reached between the 2 and 3 mile markers.  Once again, the potential of the Vincent liner was evident, but not realized.  Obviously, a stronger blower shaft for next year, but no other major changes, so Max will be taking a much deserved rest this coming build season.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 04:33:11 AM by TouringComet »

Offline HighFiveCycles

• High Five Cycles
« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »
I'm back from the salt and already going through withdrawals....
Deb- I hope I didn't blow out your eardrum over the phone! I was just a little excited :-D Thanks for posting about our progress.
This year was much better for me than last year! I owe it all to Scott and Rhys for building a great machine.
Fastest Record of any woman on a motorcycle in the world
FIM 232mph 2000MPSBF record, 192mph 1000PP record
200mph club Naked!

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2008, 02:56:10 PM »
Leslie,

Congrats.."you have come a long way baby"     :cheers:

J

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2008, 03:02:18 PM »
Leslie,

J

I guess, very impressive and congrats,

Sum

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #172 on: September 09, 2008, 03:45:42 PM »
Leslie,

J

Sum

Sum,

What are you "guessing" at?

J

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #173 on: September 09, 2008, 04:55:33 PM »
I just got off the phone with Delvene Manning, reporting to her that the promised run logs and records (pending or certified) and prize winners from the Bub's meet -- still have not shown up in my email inbox. 

She was filling her vehicle with fuel in Winnemucca when I spoke to her, so I doubt I'll get any email 'til she's at home (which should be late tonight) and has a chance to catch up.  In other words, tomorrow at the earliest.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

landracing

« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2008, 04:59:22 PM »
Leslie,

Congrats on all your speeds you posted and the records you have set. It's a great accomplishment and riding skill to make it happen :)

JonAmo

Offline Tom Liberatore

« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2008, 05:17:08 PM »
Hi, I just wanted to add my 2 cents as I had a little different perspective this year. I volunteered to be on the BUB staff because blowing up my motor at BUB last year had left the Pepperoni Bros. coffers pretty bare. I chose to run Speedweek, lost a piston and a few other things and was now so broke that I had to hitch a ride out to the salt with the BUB crew. I ended up at the 4 mile position on the mountain course, watching you exit the course through binoculars, calling the course clear on the 2-way, and hearing Tom Burkland tell the starter at mile one or mile zero to release the next bike. This happened very efficiently all week, I was really impressed with how quickly they were able to reverse directions for the return runs, there was very little down time. It kind of reminded me of being in the Army, except doing something REALLY cool, without all the harassment and bullcrap, up at 4:30am, staff meeting at 6, being in position and ready to rock at 7 for the first runs and remaining there for 12 hours, except for a couple of days when I had some help, I was alone and can tell you that nothing sounds so good as the crunching of the tires of the vehicle bringing my lunch which had to be eaten in short shifts between when you left the start line and becoming visible in the binoculars, approx. 30 seconds. Early in the day with the sun behind you, you could see all the way from the 4 mile to the start line, as the day heated up, the ground became "thick", the marking flags semi-visible or distorted, and the oncoming bikes would appear out of a haze somewhere between the 2 and the 3. Most folks turned off the course quickly and efficiently, allowing the next run to proceed, others powered through the 4 and headed down to the 5, a few stopped on the edge of the course, not sure what to do, but the worst thing that happened, at least from my perspective, was the fellow that exited the course after the 3 mile, I called the course clear, another bike was released, and then to our horror, re-entered the course heading towards the 2 mile! Fortunately he turned off as the oncoming bike approached, so he and the load in his pants got a counseling session from Mr. Ramsey. I genuinely enjoyed my staff experience and would encourage anyone to give it a shot, especially those with issues with how things are done. I think you would find a great team of people giving their all to make it happen! The only downer for me was having someone put 30 mph on my 750 M-PG record, ouch! :cry: Have fun, Tom
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2008, 05:50:01 PM »
Tom, thanks for the interesting perspective of a lonely worker. I would like to thank, thank, thank, you and all of your co-workers for a job well done.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
second that to the vols. also to denis, delvene, linea, ken cooper
and all others for putting on quite a show. my second year on salt
was so more enjoyable than '07. what an awards party also.
looking forward to '09. #62 above is mine.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2008, 09:15:38 PM »
Leslie,

J

Sum

Sum,

What are you "guessing" at?

J

The "I guess" was agreeing with your comments.  I was a little better in math than english  8-), but not much,

Sum

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2008, 10:53:41 PM »
Sum,

Remember the old Virginia Slims Cigarette ad's?

J