Author Topic: conditions of El Mirage  (Read 33340 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: conditions of El Mirage
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2009, 04:05:31 PM »
Ain't no mirage no more!

(83.9 points for a triple negative!)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline pookie

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2009, 05:13:22 PM »
 I pulled "Mud Patrol" at El Mirage yesterday, Sun, The Dry lake was wet from brush line to brush line. Today it is raining, snowing, and hail . This kind of weather should make the lake bed better for racing. So far, there has been no bikes, quads, 4 wheeler, or monster trucks have been on the lake bed.  Mike R.

Offline jl222

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2009, 11:03:42 PM »
I pulled "Mud Patrol" at El Mirage yesterday, Sun, The Dry lake was wet from brush line to brush line. Today it is raining, snowing, and hail . This kind of weather should make the lake bed better for racing. So far, there has been no bikes, quads, 4 wheeler, or monster trucks have been on the lake bed.  Mike R.

So they let you go inside the fenced area? I assumed they would close the lake bed area when wet.

JL222

Offline pookie

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2009, 09:24:55 AM »
JL222, Hi, I used a boat.... Just kidding. Since the BLM has the entire El Mirage rec. area fenced off, access to the lake bed  it self is restricted, but there are several dirt roads in the surrounding area , think where the brush areas are, that enable you to go around the lake on these access roads.I probably should stop here and give you some information that most "out  of towner's" who race or are interested in the racing at El Mirage are not aware of, about the volunteer work that goes on behind the scenes . There are 12 car clubs that make up SCTA. The High Desert Racers, the club I belong to, has as one of its duties, to monitor the lake bed whenever it is too wet for use, working with the BLM Rangers on the weekends. We usually patrol the west end where we race, as it is very hard to see from the main entrance.So, we are there to try and prevent any usage of the lake bed by people who just got to play in the mud. We also have our "guardian angel"George Callaway, who lives next to the lake watching. I feel personally, this work is a privilege and works for the greater good of the SCTA and better racing at El Mirage, which I dearly love.

Offline jl222

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2009, 11:18:09 PM »
 Pookie

Its been awhile since I looked at the fence but isn't it 4 big cables about 1/2 thick? I guess someone could torch it. Is there room to slip a bike under?

JL222

Offline pookie

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2009, 12:43:49 AM »
Hi JL222 Yes you are correct about the surrounding fence at El Mirage. As a matter of fact there was a cut  made in the fence I spotted on the northwest side. I was working with 3 other rangers that day, so I reported the fence break to them , they said it would be taken care of this week. The rangers were taling about repairing the broken cable by welding it back together.I am not so sure you could get a dirt bike under the cable. But like so many other things in life, somebody is for sure going to test it. Mike R.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2009, 11:24:21 AM »
El Mirage is getting more rain this week, how long does it take for the lake to dry out once the rain has stopped?  I know the different variables that dictate how fast, but on an average. :cheers:

Offline pookie

« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2009, 09:57:20 AM »
To anyone concerned:  The El Mirage lake bed is DRY and in use. I have been told the west end,that is where the track is, looks good. Hardly any "potato chips" on the surface which means less dust . Mike R.

Offline pookie

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2009, 11:05:12 PM »
I just got back from El Mirage after spending a few hours attending the hi desert annual "dirt sifting party" which is held at the Callaways car ranch. The lake looks good for racing, there was a bike and a car doing some hi speed testing. Not much of a "rooster tail" coming off of both vehicles. The dust didn't hang in the air, even tho there wasn't a breeze. El Mirage racers, it is almost time to RACE.....Oh Yeah !!!!! Mike R.

Offline jl222

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2009, 11:09:31 PM »
 The track at El Mirage this May meet looked bad from the get go.
 I thought it would have been great after being flooded but evidently it needed more.
 the 1st 3 tenths or so looked nice and tight but after that it was widely spaced between the cracks.
 Like I said in another post something else must be going on different from previous years. I not sure
but it could be a lot of well pumping and a lot of dry years combined that lowers the water table and
even though it got flooded the water just got sucked down.
 The return road was the worse it turned to powder in places and Ive never seen that happen.
 Bvillercr wil be posting a video of the course as we left after the meet Sunday and our last run on
 Sunday with a #206 starting position trying to go 200mph so we could start out of the 200mph lane.[sounds like a sprint car] :-D
 Its pretty useless for us to run at El Mirage untill conditions improve a bunch from that starting position :-P

JL222 :cheers:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 11:47:24 PM by jl222 »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2009, 01:48:58 AM »
The track at El Mirage this May meet looked bad from the get go.
 I thought it would have been great after being flooded but evidently it needed more.
 the 1st 3 tenths or so looked nice and tight but after that it was widely spaced between the cracks.
 Like I said in another post something else must be going on different from previous years. I not sure
but it could be a lot of well pumping and a lot of dry years combined that lowers the water table and
even though it got flooded the water just got sucked down.
 The return road was the worse it turned to powder in places and Ive never seen that happen.
 Bvillercr wil be posting a video of the course as we left after the meet Sunday and our last run on
 Sunday with a #206 starting position trying to go 200mph so we could start out of the 200mph lane.[sounds like a sprint car] :-D
 Its pretty useless for us to run at El Mirage untill conditions improve a bunch from that starting position :-P

JL222 :cheers:

Alan seemed to run pretty well last year from a bad starting position and a marginal course so we are sure you can do it also.. :cheers:

J

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2009, 10:55:29 AM »

Offline jl222

« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2009, 12:48:48 PM »

Hi John

What we need is a super El Nini'o year, and like Troy said, in another post going to narrow tires would help on a loose track. I have material to make a gurney flap just need to figure out how as our spoiler is   
rounded at the rear.
 Thanks for having faith in us and have a good year but double check those codes :-D :cheers:

JL222

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2009, 03:07:47 PM »
It's been raining in Berdoo this morning -- what's going on in the desert?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2009, 03:28:22 PM »
At noon it was 71 F  and wind from SW at 17 mph, no wet stuff. Tomorrow looks good.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah