Author Topic: Our experience with licensing at Speed Week  (Read 25798 times)

Offline willieworld

Re: Our experience with licensing at Speed Week
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 12:38:50 PM »
maybe next year all of you who are so concerned about someone cutting across the track will spend your week doing patrol duty all day in the hot sun using a bucket to go to the restroom intead of running up and down the track all week and haveing fun ---me being a street rider am used to having people cut in front of me and find that it actually adds a certain element of excitement --i know we are talking about a race where thats not supposed to happen --come on out volunteer and make sure it dont --if you dont volunteer you got no right to complain   just some thoughts---------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 12:55:36 PM »
Myself, I think the CB is a better way to go. You can't have 2 way communication with an am radio. My experience last year was that Glen was the ultimate authority on track traffic. IMO he did one helluva job also. Any course worker that needed to cross the track had to call Glen to get permission. I personally heard him hold up several workers till it was safe for them to cross. It sounds like the 2 incidents this year were because the course workers did not follow protocol. Which brings up the problems of having to change CB channels. Because some racers are careless with the CB mike it causes unnessesary problems. Cmon, if you can build a vehicle to run at Bonneville you ought to be able to hang up your mike. So, I think it is a good system and the only problems are when people don't follow protocol and no system will eliminate that.

JMO

Larry   :-D
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 02:23:25 PM »
maybe next year all of you who are so concerned about someone cutting across the track will spend your week doing patrol duty all day in the hot sun using a bucket to go to the restroom intead of running up and down the track all week and haveing fun ---me being a street rider am used to having people cut in front of me and find that it actually adds a certain element of excitement --i know we are talking about a race where thats not supposed to happen --come on out volunteer and make sure it dont --if you dont volunteer you got no right to complain   just some thoughts---------willie buchta

With all do love & respect Willie, when you start running in the 200mph range come back and tell me how you feel about it. I'm a street rider too and that's why I didn't have a problem handling it BUT, there's a reason I pay money to race & spend money on travel & a race bike going to a race track so that I don't have to worry about morons in cars pulling out in front of or at me on the street. We preach that tracks are safer and to not street race but that's hardly the case when you have to worry about cars driving across your path anyway. No I didn't volunteer at Bonneville but I have volunteered at OUR track for the last 8 years. Only once in 8 years have we EVER had another vehicle cross that track and that was a farmer that had nothing to do with racing and drove around the barriers to cross the track anyway.

I paid my money to race there, I have every right to complain when a vehicle that does not belong on the track pulls out when I'm running wide open. They have no clue if I'm going to run 50mph or 300mph they weren't supposed to be there period. If I had been closer and not had ample time to react it well could have killed me or them. Yes, I have EVERY right to complain regardless of if I volunteer!

Deb

PS: We busted our butts all week supporting the SSS race team and a lot of that was us trying to do what they would normally do to race so that they had the time they needed to fullfill their volunteer duties and maybe have a little more free time to volunteer & still do the racing they wanted to do. It was our first time out so we hope we did a good enough job for some newbies that didn't know what to do.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 02:29:01 PM by DahMurf »
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 02:29:30 PM »
AMEN Deb! :-D
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline willieworld

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
yes amen---if you have a rule book go to page 6 and read paragraph 2 NOTICE --i think you missed that part-------we can all complain  or we can all help   your choice-----willie buchta

go read----- need for more workers----- by glen

love you deb
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 02:47:31 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 02:48:04 PM »
Good points on making reccomendations Dan, officials at Maxton are on their own secore chanel to keep the cross talk and confucion from participants down.

Very well said on the protocol statement Larry. The military has proven that training and repetitive communication thru key positions are the things that most make protocol work on a consistent basis.

Thank you for saying that so eloquently and in a positive manner Deb, those would of not been my words of choice for that reply to Willie.
Todd

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
Yes I've read it.  :roll: I guess you think it's an unreasonable expectation that when you're told the course is clear, that the course really will be clear?

Apparently you view my discussions as mere complaining and not that they may serve to advice and warn other racers or to possibly discuss situtations where there is room for improvement and thereby brainstorm a possible solution that once groomed can then be presented to someone at the SCTA that might be able to use or implement it?

We all know that some of the SCTA officials do read these boards and our conversation may lead to good ideas that can one day be implemented.

And just so I'm not completely ignorant of your contributions, what volunteer duties did you perform this past meet so I can understand and properly thank you? Additionally can you elaborate on that volunteer post so us newbies can better understand it and possibly volunteer for it in the future?

Deb

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 04:56:49 PM »
Just some thoughts.

I guess we're just stuck in the mud, not wanting any new ideas.  It takes someone that's there for the first time to figure it all out -- even if they couldn't get there own vehicle there to race.

Years and years of experience running this international event are superceded by fresh, new advice, complete with icons for those of us that can't understand English.

And the icons don't have a complete enough selection for some who can't communicate without them.

And don't know that the PMs are for "are you gonna be there?"  and wait until I tell your wife, partner, mother, etc.

Well, let's all

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »
Gee Stan, thanks for playing by the site rules and not partaking in personal attacks.
Just because "it's always been done that way" doesn't mean it's the only way or the right way.
Debbie

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 05:44:22 PM »
Just some thoughts.

The difference between thoughts and statements are readily apparent if you compare your below keystrokes with many of your peer's above.

I guess we're just stuck in the mud, not wanting any new ideas. 

Are you making that call, it appears so by your statements below? It didn't seem that way from others that have discussed this.

It takes someone that's there for the first time to figure it all out -- even if they couldn't get there own vehicle there to race.

Sometimes it is first timers that help shed light, sometime it's the firsttimer's that open their mouth wiht thier thoughts and findings that learn they might be looking at something wrong. Only those with closed mouths and ears learn nothing. Having one's personal race vehicle there proves what by the way? If you had your own vehicle there, does that mean those on your crew should keep their mouth shut?

Years and years of experience running this international event are superceded by fresh, new advice, complete with icons for those of us that can't understand English.

Or speak it!

And the icons don't have a complete enough selection for some who can't communicate without them.

Communication is a simple concept as well as a two way street. It also takes someone that doens't have their lips attached to an entire organization's azz to be willing to find thier nutz and speak their mind for the growth and betterment of all involved... not just to keep an opinionated fool happy in his corner of the world.

And don't know that the PMs are for "are you gonna be there?"  and wait until I tell your wife, partner, mother, etc.

That is some appearant version of english that wasted more bandwidth here then any amount of bs'ng with friends or anything else. So far you have the most wasted keystrokes on here when it comes to helping any situation that is on the table.

Have you considered discussing with Debbie what thoughts of hers or yours will or will not work? She's (as many of us are) very open minded to problem-solution-application driven conversation. Many of her ideas  were shot down by the king of words on here.... but at least he would tell her "why" to better help the thought proccess to a completed form. JackD drove us to wanting to come to Bonneville and the SCTA, you seem to want to get rid of any new blood..... I wonder what the overall thought of the organization and it's membership is in this regard?

You complain well Stan.... consider trying the first counter on the way in Walmart for better self satisfaction.
Todd

Offline willieworld

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »
deb--lets start over---my suggestion that people vonenteer was saying that if you dont like the way things are done to do something about it ---as far as people crossing the track it can happen at any time by a worker with a non working radio---by another racer who turned off the wrong way or by a chase vehicle--by anyone driving around on the salt ---even by someone landing an airplane  the possibilities are endless --i dont think what anyone writes on landracing.com will make a real diffrence--if anyone wants to make a differance you can submit a rule change or a clarifacation if you are a scta-bni member -(deadline is 9-1-08 ) -if anyone wants to they can volunteer at any meet at any time ---i know it costs a lot of money for you and tod to come to bonneville (i dont think you have to pay an entry fee as an alternate driver  i didnt when i rode sheris bike at speedweek -just a driver change  NO CHARGE )  all of the volenteer work is a club effort ( GEAR GRINDERS ) and there are 11 other clubs and a lot of bni members---my club has been racing longer than i am old and im 63-- one person from the east coast(or any coast) is not going to change anything by posting on landracing its a great place to stay in touch and ask questions and even vent but you wont change anything here--if anyone wants to change things the thing to do is to get involved see how everything works then change things by doing ----im new to this too my second year and im still in the learning process --anyway my finger is getting tired  see you on the salt--just some thoughts-----------------------------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline RichFox

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 07:21:36 PM »
Willie- One thing needs to be made clear. People doing dumb things, volunteer or not, that can make me (or Deb) dead, can expect some unhappiness. It has nothing to do with how long I have been going to the salt. Or if you are an SCTA member as opposed to a BNI member. At 63 you should be able to understand this.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2008, 08:34:26 PM »
RICH   i think you misunderstood my post--there are things all of us can do to change things and argueing on this post is not one of them---i do understand that every time i leave the start line i put muself in harms way--i do understand that  a car or a truck can cut in front of me on a track that im supposed to have exclusive rights to--i do understand all of the things that can go wrong from the 0 to the 3 mile marker--i except those risks  if i decide someday not to except them then i will quit racing and take up something else--we all know with a venue like L S R and that the area that has to be covered someone will slip through the crack and find there way to the track--we should all be aware of things like that happening and be on the lookout at all times--i know when im on my bike im pretty low to the ground and cant see to far down the track--my wife looks down the track to make sure its clear as far as she can see i will not leave the start line until she gives me the all clear (a slap on the back ) and i do the same for her--i went through rookie orientation with sheri at speedweek on monday and remember all of the new faces and remember thinking i hope none of these people screw up or get hurt looks like i used up another wish --i think it was for a great cause though ---look i dont have all of the answers hell i dont even have all of the questions    i do know this for a fact the SCTA is a great group of people it is an all volunteer organization and no one can cover all of the bases all of the time---the odds are in our favor  2400 runs and one truck goes across the track at the 3 when a rider is at the 2 ---look at all of the pluses --no kids on cell phones--no trees--no poles--no fences--no old people who cant see over the dash--no wild animals--and you can see for miles--cant wait to get back and do it again --yes im excited think ill go to the world finals ---hope to see you all there -----just some thoughts  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2008, 09:11:02 PM »
Willie,
 I disagree with you that this board will not result in changes. I feel it's a catalyst for sharing ideas and knowledge. Before I waste the SCTA's time with formal requests for rule changes and ideas on how to possibly enhance the way things are done to possibly help the organization run smoother I prefer to air thoughts out here so I can be informed and educated on the history to which I'm not aware. Sure we have to submit our ideas directly to the SCTA but this can help the ideas flow or die as needed. But that's ok. I like & respect you and Sheri alot and we don't need to agree on this or anything.

I endured a lot of resistance when I got involved with the ECTA but the end result turned out pretty good. We get the results out most of the time within 24 hours of the meet completing and sometimes as quickly as 12 hours. Sure there's things we can do better there too and often times it's the new eyes that see the obvious that point it out to us! All it takes is an open mind and I try my best to keep mine open!

I enjoy your posts, they make me think, so keep them coming!  :wink:
Debbie

Offline willieworld

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 09:53:10 PM »
ok im setting here in front of the puter with an open mind---tell us what rule you would change--just remember that rule changes have to be submitted by sept 1 to even be considersd for the rules committee --if no one submits a rule change the change wont be discussed--if you have a good idea i will be glad to submit it for you or anyone else if you or they arnt a member-----a good idea is a good idea----------------------------- willie buchta
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:56:03 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta