Author Topic: Private meet information  (Read 2570 times)

Offline woz

Private meet information
« on: August 26, 2008, 05:28:33 PM »
I believe I heard that the private meet included Burkland, Poteet & Main, Nish....I'm sure I am forgetting one or some.  When was that going to begin?  I am curious what speeds will be achieved on the really long course.

Woz

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Private meet information
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 05:35:13 PM »
 TOP 1 OIL WORLD LAND SPEED SHOOTOUT
Tuesday, 12 August 2008
TOP 1 OIL WORLD LAND SPEED SHOOTOUT TO FIND FASTEST OF THE FAST BONNEVILLE CARS AND MOTORCYCLES FIA/FIM sanctioned event the first of its kind, top teams throwing down gauntlet BURLINGAME, Cal. (August 18, 2008) -- TOP 1 Oil has teamed with the record-setting Land Speed Racing veterans at Cook Motorsports to form the TOP 1 Oil World Land Speed Shootout, the first single competition ever to decide the fastest of the fast wheel-driven cars and motorcycles on the planet. The TOP 1 Oil World Land Speed Shootout takes place this September 22-26 at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Bonneville, Utah. A maximum of ten teams, five car and five motorcycle, will vie for official Land Speed Records recognized by the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) and the Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM), the leading international race sanctioning bodies. Contingency dates are October 13-17. Eligible vehicles must be wheel-driven, have set or come close to setting recent land speed records in their respective classes, and conform to FIA/FIM technical and safety requirements. Entrants will be selected by a panel of judges assembled by Mike Cook, founder of Cook Motorsports. Only two will walk away with the right to claim they have the fastest car or motorcycle in the world. The Discovery Channel is planning to follow the teams in their attempts. Cook created the TOP 1 Oil World Land Speed Shootout to give serious competitors the opportunity to push the envelope. “We’re providing a platform for top contenders,” he said. “Land Speed Racing events like Speed Week have become very popular, which is great for our sport, but the number of entries makes it difficult to set new records, due to time constraints,” Cook added. “This competition isn’t for amateurs – it is only open to the best qualified and most experienced teams in the world.” “Land Speed Racing is synonymous with exceptional technology, extreme conditions, strong passion and iron-willed perseverance, and we’re proud to be part of it,” said Frank Ryan, Top 1 Oil. “Whether it’s salt, sand, dirt or rocks, TOP 1 sponsored riders and drivers have set records on some of the world’s most challenging terrains. We can’t wait to see who takes home this historic title. Each hand-built land speed vehicle is unique as there are few rules limiting innovation. TOP 1 Oil World Land Speed Shootout entrants to date include Nish Motorsports’ 1,800hp Royal Purple #998 Streamliner; the twin-engine, 417mph Burkland Streamliner; Sam Wheeler’s record-holding E-Z-Hook motorcycle; and Poteet and Main’s newest car, Speed Demon with its 1,045hp four-cylinder Mopar engine. Teams interested in competing may send an e-mail to driver598@sbcglobal.netT

Offline woz

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 08:53:50 PM »
Thanks John,

I had in my mind that that meet was to follow Speed Week - I guess I had my months mixed up!

Woz

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:06:19 PM »
Well, I did hear something about Mike Cook trying to put together another private meet -- maybe even going on right now.  It's NOT the one that's referred to in the article above (also on the home page of the website).  Wes Hutches, an SCTA starter, was shooting the breeze with Nancy and me as we were winding down the cleanup after SpeedWeek and mentioned he had been asked to hang around for a week or so for the "Mike Cook" meet (for lack of a better term to describe it).  So maybe there will be a meet this week.

I don't have anything on which to base my comments except what Wes told us, but then think about it -- Nish made one run and got top speed of the meet (Fast Freddie Dannenfelzer might have got that honor if he hadn't shut down a bit early, but that's one for the barroom discussions, isn't it?).  Burkland made one run and hit a bump when his hand was moving to the shifter -- clicked it from 2nd into 5th, the engines bogged, and he turned out.  Poteet/Main ran strong.  None of the top-line streamliner bikes (Wheeler, Ack, Lambky, etc) were on the salt.  The Brit steam car wasn't in sight, the Buckeye Bullet hydrogen fuel cell car had a few gremlins...

No lack of potential competitors to run, and really good salt that runs for miles -- a private PRIVATE meet might not be out of the question, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ack

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 07:02:50 PM »
I just talked to Mike Cook and the private event on the 22nd to the 27th of September will allow spectators to attend.  There will be a charge for spectators each day to help offset the costs for the event. It starts 2 days after World Finals and the Wendover air show for those that want to take in more than one venue.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 07:06:19 PM »
Mike, you've either typed a misprint -- or spent too much time in the sun.  September 22 is a couple of days after World of Speed, not World Finals...right?

Nancy and I plan to be there and will have a "real" photographer with us.  Will we need to get something like press credentials for him?  I intend to put photos and some text/comments on this site.

We'll be in Wendover for World of Speed and will simply stay over for the private meet.  We look forward to seeing one and all again soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com