Author Topic: No longer a virgin!!?!?  (Read 4016 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
No longer a virgin!!?!?
« on: August 13, 2008, 08:20:38 PM »
I wasn't able to go to Bonneville last year and won't be there this year because of family medical problems and commitments that I've made.

So, I haven't finished my car and I told my engine builder (a good friend) that there was no rush in completing the engine.

Anyway, Sunday afternoon, my friend and fellow 4 Barrels clubmember, Pete Richardson (#1931, V4/VGC record holder - Bonneville) called to ask if I had an engine available.  His well-engineered V4F engine (no record in V4F/VGC!) ate some lifters and then galled the cam while on the dyno.  Well, sez I, my race engine isn't ready (and I checked, it couldn't be finished in 2 days), but if he really wanted, I'd be willing to pull my hot street 4-banger for his B'ville attempt.  After some thinking and discussion, on Monday the decision was made to do it.

So Tuesday morning, I began my first last minute thrash to get ready for Bonneville!!!

Stripped my lakes modified down:

Changed flywheel & clutch, pan, and bellhousing.

Slipped it into his coupe.  That was the easy part.  Lots of little things to make it all match up...

Ended up looking like this before it went back onto his trailer for some final thrashing and loading the trailer, etc.

Would you believe that the Truckstopped thing sounds like a race engine in that coupe?

He won't be as fast as he intended; it's pretty much my street engine with his mag & electric water pump and a borrowed header (mine ended up against his ballistic blanket).  He's going to start with my little carbs and then try his several years old larger carbs.

His intent was, and still is, to make a couple of runs, then let his daughter and her s.o., who have been crewing for him, make a couple of passes each.

I'm more excited that I expected to be about this year and am trying to figure out how to keep my commitment and race at Bonneville in 2009.

Good luck and safe racing to all!

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline t russell

Re: No longer a virgin!!?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:00:36 PM »
Very cool.Your story is the heart and soul of land speed racing.
terry

ModelTSteve

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 06:40:51 PM »
"Your first last minute thrash"??? The first of many! Welcome to the club!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 02:22:14 PM »
Yahoo!  Just got a call from Pete in Impound!!  :-D

79.xxx mph. 6500' effective altitude (did I get that right?).  The engine would only pull 3900 rpm through the Stromberg 81's.

More later (I hope).

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline t russell

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 04:47:10 PM »
GREAT

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 07:50:16 PM »
Been running around today.  No internet.

Got a call about 9am PDT, in the early morning coolth  :mrgreen: we ran low 83 mph, around 4050 rpm.  No changes to the car.

The record is now 81.xxx mph.  Got the engine sealed, then back to the pits.  Roy Creel (MISTER Vintage Four) thought that 83 mph with a flathead in that coupe (unchopped! cowl lights! stock BIG headlights!) was a really good run.

One change at a time!  Quickchange from 3.69 to 3.92.  Back out and in mid afternoon, ran a high 83 mph at mile 1, but low 84 thru the quarter, then off.  Back to impound for another early morning run  :-D

The engine obviously liked the gearing change.  The cam grinder (Jim Brierley) said that the cam is really strong from 4000 to 4500.  Both of us think that we running a little retarded (the ignition!  :lol: ) so we'll see what the morning brings  :-D  They may run the entire short course in the morning.  Sort of depends on how the temperature is acting (it's been high and creeping higher).

Man, I wish I was there! 

Mike

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 11:42:40 AM »
Early morning record runs: Pete called & said that everyone (but one) ran slower this morning than yesterday.  They're scratching their heads; conditions seemed "ideal."

Anyway, our record bumped to 82.8 mph.

Back out in line for the third driver to get a chance.

More later.

Mike

Offline a-zonie

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 12:05:13 PM »
That's neat Mike. Sounds like a good solid 4 banger run. Please keep us informed of any updates.
They were built to be driven!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 02:47:04 PM »
Third driver made his first run.  Engine swinging back and forth 4500-4700!!!  Two mph too slow to qualify for a further record.  I didn't get a speed but it should be over 80.

The 47% humidity is causing a really slick track.  Pete calculates 24% slippage.

They're back in line for another run.  Third of the day.  5 people in front of them (lots have left the track, either for home or at least for the day).

Mike