Author Topic: What is some of the slang out there??????  (Read 10137 times)

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
Re: What is some of the slang out there??????
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 10:30:43 AM »
Deer Widows- the ladys in town that are drinking alote that are fun to hang out with. :mrgreen:

In case any readers don't know that one - their husbands are hunters and deer season just opened up . . .

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 10:40:11 AM »
"re-inspection" is somewhere you don't want to visit..........

"Jim Jensen or Bill Taylor want to talk to you and your pit crew" is definately something you don't want to hear. Might as well pack up and go home. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ok, help the newbies out, what are some of the favorite topics of conversation for Jim Jensen or Bill Taylor?

The very LAST thing you want to see following a run or at any time -

Lee Kennedy rolling up in his BIG red truck. Be prepared for a sticker of some color to be slapped on your machine and a nice friendly chat, just the two of you.

DW

and how do you earn pretty stickers from Lee Kennedy and what are the flavors?

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 11:09:29 AM »

and how do you earn pretty stickers from Lee Kennedy and what are the flavors?

Deb
[/quote]
Reinspection sticker. Mine was yellow. Then you get an up close and personal reinspection at your pits by Lee himself.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 11:17:49 AM »
A visit with Jim or Bill can mean several things, Good is they sign  for a class/license up grade. The other visit could be because you screwed up on the run or other error.

A visit with Lee Kennedy is like a traffic cop having a bad day. You could get a warning ticket or a verbal butt chewing or if your vehicle is not handling, spins or other infractions Lee then becomes the Judge and Jury, he can also be your best friend.

The timing tower is aware of all new vehicles and license upgrades and reports to the starting crews and to Lee Kennedy on other problems. All the racer has to do is work with the event personnel and kpeep your CB radios on once the vehicle is under way and until you pick up your vehicle at the return road. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

dwarner

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 11:35:46 AM »
Lee has two stickers, yellow for minor infractions such as driving racer on return road, no chute, etc. Each is accompanied by a friendly chit chat with Lee, you best pay attention.

The last time you see the red sticker is when you are putting your race vehicle in the box and cancelling the rest of your room reservations.

DW

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 12:14:29 PM »
The other time Jim will come over to you is after the meet ends for the day to see if you have anymore beer... :mrgreen:

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »
Ok, next question for this extreme newbie that doesn't currently have her rulebook in hand... I'm getting WHAT they're doing, but specifically what are their roles (titles) and where (other then chasing me down in the pits to beat me senseless) might I find them?

Jim, Bill & Lee. I'm getting the impression we have starters involved here but from the perspective of someone that's never been there they could all be aliens levitating from above for all I know! Now I assume I'm going to understand more of this once I'm there but I also assume this is all going to be rather overwhelming so the more I can try to understand now the better off I'll be. (sorry if we've hashed this out elsewhere & feel free to point me to a thread for further reading!)

And while we're at it, what are Jim, Bill & Lee's favorite beverage's or food? Cause if they chase me down for a visit I'd sure like to be able to offer them their favorite donut while they chew me out!  :evil:

Deb

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 12:38:15 PM »
Jim Jensen:  Chief Starter.  Nice guy, pretty easy to live with, drives the drag truck, too.  Best phrase to use:  "Jim, how're the knees?  Looks like you've lost some weight, too!"

Bill Taylor:  Chief starter on the short course.  Really friendly, wears open-finger gloves.  From Minnesota.  Best phrase to use:  "Love them hockey Golden Gophers!"

Lee Kennedy:  No known soft spots.  Drives a big red pickup.  Is reported to have been friendly to a racer, but this has not been corroborated.  Best phrase to use:  "Hi, Lee,  No, I wasn't driving it -- he's already left the salt."
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 12:40:26 PM »
Deb, all of this will be discussed at the drivers and crew meeting Monday morning before the event starts. This is an important meeting and there will be a rookie meeting following. You will be guided down the course to see where everything is. On Sunday you can ask any of the officials questions as well. You will be swamped with things the 1st couple of days. :? 8-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
to Lee.....he eat your donuts....he ask for a second sixpack.....and still give you the lesson in his way when he means you need it..................no corruption possible............. :-D
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 12:53:08 PM »
Rookie orientation is a funny sight to witness(to me anyways). you'll see a guy standing on the bed of a pickup with about 100 people gathered around with their hands extended to the air waiting to be handed a yellow rookie sticker by the guy on the truck.Reminds me of somebody feeding pigions :-D
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 12:59:56 PM »
Excellent!!! Thanks guys! Just the kind of info I need!!!
Glen we will absolutely attend those meetings, that's on our must do list so we can learn & understand.

SSS, Exactly what I was looking for!  :-D

Hmmm... have to meet this Lee dude! He sounds like a fun project! Who doesn't like a challenge!  :evil:

So Pork, do you think I should practice saying this without laughing... but I'm a girl, surely you don't think a little ole girl could drive such a big masculine vehicle, I mean, I could break a nail.... 

:-D

Deb

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 01:27:28 PM »
Glen we will absolutely attend those meetings, that's on our must do list so we can learn & understand.............

If either or both of you plan on riding it will be a "must do", so be sure and be there and get that out of the way Monday morning after the driver's meeting.  Also have you both joined BNI??  That is also a must do to be a driver or rider.  Todd is an SDRC member isn't he and thus is an SCTA member and wouldn't need the BNI membership I believe.  How about you Deb?

Good talking to you last night,

Sum

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 02:08:23 PM »

Hmmm... have to meet this Lee dude! He sounds like a fun project! Who doesn't like a challenge!  :evil:

So Pork, do you think I should practice saying this without laughing... but I'm a girl, surely you don't think a little ole girl could drive such a big masculine vehicle, I mean, I could break a nail.... 

:-D

Deb

Deb,

no problem at all....I know some girls they are tougher than the most guys....and as I remember...you had there a very special ride at Maxton......I be sure you will work it out with Lee.....and this without donuts....... :roll:

Honestly, all three are real alright and they got there heart on the right place......all three in a different way...and also different to our starter legend...the late Bob Higbee.........but all three like to reach the same goal......that on the end of the meet everybody drives unhurt home....except may be the pride when a girl done them the record away.....

So be welcome at the salt......and don't forget......once you be hooked there is no escape.....you have to come back....and back...and back.....forever............
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 02:15:41 PM »
Glen we will absolutely attend those meetings, that's on our must do list so we can learn & understand.............

If either or both of you plan on riding it will be a "must do", so be sure and be there and get that out of the way Monday morning after the driver's meeting.  Also have you both joined BNI??  That is also a must do to be a driver or rider.  Todd is an SDRC member isn't he and thus is an SCTA member and wouldn't need the BNI membership I believe.  How about you Deb?

Good talking to you last night,

Sum

Thanks Sum. Yes Todd is SDRC & SCTA, I just got my BNI package of goodies this week so that part should be good to go. Yes we'll be doing all of the Monday morning meetings. We're going to do everything we need to do as if we were going to run whether we get to or not.  We'll probably be following SSS through the tech line and most likely try to get our gear teched on his ticket. We can pretend to be riding his bike unless he kicks us out of his pit!  :-D

From there we'll stalk a couple of teams to help out and learn the ropes of staging, running, retrieval, impound, return record runs, impound, record certification and what ever else we may be missing from the racers point of view. I make a good gofer tool hander tool retriever if nothing else so I figure we can be somewhat useful while learning the ropes. Oh yeah, and umbrella girl too! :D

I just reread the impound post and noted the time zone difference between NV & UT!!! Glad DW mentioned that! That would have bit me for sure! I use my phone as my watch and it readjusts to where I'm at. Hmmm, may have to grab some kind of watch set to salt time. Salt Time? hmmm sounds like more slang.... speaking of which (yeah I know back to topic) anymore good slang stuff I/we need to know?

Deb