Author Topic: AWD vs. 2WD  (Read 9723 times)

landracing

Re: AWD vs. 2WD
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005, 08:46:00 PM »
What about Breedlove?? I dont remember one in there either, I thought it was monococque construction also. But if ok by FIA, then the SCTA will probably not allow any vehicle to run under BNI Record which is legal for a FIA attempt.

Just thinking outloud, maybe I should just think to myself....

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »
SCTA/BNI have a standard they publish and the entries are required to meet or exceed those published standards. They would require every entry to maintain those standards reguardless of what flag you fly over it. You are a guest at their meet and they make the rules.
 If your procedures require something beyond the regular schedule for the meet, you have to deal with them.
 Liability insurance and the permit for the use of the land are based on the published rules. Violate them and you risk everything and are left without a defence. That goes for both sides.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2005, 07:07:00 AM »
An answer perhaps would be for the SCTA/BNI to be accepted as the American build standards body for ACCUS/FIA land speed record vehicles.

The thrust powered vehicles would not run at Bonneville, so they go to Black Rock or Dubai or Verneuk Pan etc.... where another FIA ASN would have to take control.  Of course with only one ASN permitted per country by the FIA, the SCTA/BNI would have to agree to officiate at the Black Rock on a teams private time ......

'Divide and organise ...... ?'

Breedlove used composite kevlar monocoque construction to provide a safety cell.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2005, 07:35:00 AM »
The names behind SCTA ans BNI speak to their mission and the limit of their interests.
 The mechanics are alreadt in place for the various other attempts.
 The intrest and skill level is driven be the frequency of the activity.
 "Dog and Pony shows don't have many Cats."

<small>[ March 27, 2005, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: JackD ]</small>
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Ken Walkey

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2005, 01:39:00 AM »
The SCTA/BNI has the highest standard of safety of any form of motor sports in the world. Other organizations use our book and inspection sheet. I have held an FIA Land Speed license sence 1973, not once did any FIA rep. ask to inspect my vehicle. I believe that was because if The vehicle could pass SCTA/BNI it was above anything they would require.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2005, 09:43:00 AM »
Gosh, I hope I don't start something here -- but ---

I looked it up -- and find that kevlar was "...developed in the late 1960's..."  and tht Breedlove was making his fast runs starting in the late fifties and into the 60's.  

When did he start using Kevlar -- and how developed was this new miracle material when he was using it?

I wear a kevlar shirt under my leathers, and am interested in the development of the stuff.  sort of off the topic, but since it was mentioned here. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

dwarner

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »
There were(are) three Breedlove cars. It would seem that at some point in the construction of numbers two and three that Kevlar materials could have been used. Number one ran in mid-sixties not fifties. Breedlove ran convential lakes cars prior to #1. Comp Coupe is the most recognized as his lakes car.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2005, 11:13:00 AM »
The latest car features the latest materials, unfortunately, We are still dealing with the old style human body that can only take so much abuse in terms in G-force even if the operator gets through without a scratch.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2005, 01:08:00 PM »
You know that is why they are so mean.

JohnR

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2005, 12:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by scott guthrie:
  We could do what the space program did in the beginning....use monkeys!
A monkey has driven my car every time it's run. He even has an SCTA license!