Author Topic: Any Race Teams from Michigan or OH going this year?  (Read 5279 times)

hotrodladycrusr

Any Race Teams from Michigan or OH going this year?
« on: July 22, 2008, 12:22:43 PM »
The reason I ask is I need to start thinking of a PlanB for my go-cart and Megan's minibike.  I bought a small 4x8 foot trailer to haul behind Big Olds to put our pit transportations on BUT I'm having trouble finding someone local to design and instal me a hitch system for my '47 Oldsmobile.  Therefore I'm thinking PlanB could be us paying someone with room on a trailer to haul our stuff.  My go-cart fits inside an SUV so it's not real big and Megan's mini-bike is kinda tiny, so.....question is, is there a race team in the mitt area of Michigan or OH that is traveling to B'ville this year?

I haven't given up on PlanA yet (hitch for Big Olds), still working on it BUT I'd like to see if there are options.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Any Race Teams from Michigan or OH going this year?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 01:18:08 PM »
The reason I ask is I need to start thinking of a PlanB for my go-cart and Megan's minibike.  I bought a small 4x8 foot trailer to haul behind Big Olds to put our pit transportations on BUT I'm having trouble finding someone local to design and instal me a hitch system for my '47 Oldsmobile.  Therefore I'm thinking PlanB could be us paying someone with room on a trailer to haul our stuff.  My go-cart fits inside an SUV so it's not real big and Megan's mini-bike is kinda tiny, so.....question is, is there a race team in the mitt area of Michigan or OH that is traveling to B'ville this year?

I haven't given up on PlanA yet (hitch for Big Olds), still working on it BUT I'd like to see if there are options.

Denise are you aware of the ban on go-carts this year??  That might solve the transportation problem.

Also here is the link to the pre-entries and there are some from Ohio and Mich.:

http://www.scta-bni.org/SCTA-NewWeb/Bonneville/PreEntries.html

c ya,

Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 01:33:35 PM »
Speed week pit bikes  ALL riders must have driver license, Go karts are not allowed
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

hotrodladycrusr

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 02:24:50 PM »
Well POOP! :evil:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »
Well, as I said in that note I sent you -- you can race your kart at World of Speed.  That'd be something for which you could use it out there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

hotrodladycrusr

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 02:33:11 PM »
Thanks bud.  This year is booked as far as vacation time off but perhaps next year I'll attend during World of Speed instead of Speed Week.  My buddy Bubba has been trying to talk me into it for awhile now, I guess this might be the deciding fact.....and you say I can actually race it??

Speed equipment for a 5HP Briggs and Straton??? :-D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 02:43:53 PM by hotrodladycrusr »

hotrodladycrusr

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 02:53:43 PM »
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, I could ride the go-cart anywhere else on the Salt but just not in the pits, correct? 

PIT AREA- Only vehicles with an official “Crew” pass on windshield are allowed in pit area and
course access roads. “Go Karts” and other such vehicles are prohibited in pits. Anyone driving in
the pit area must be a licensed driver. Do not allow your children to ride around in the pits. Vending
of any merchandise other than your own entry tee shirt is by previously approved permit only. You
may sign up to sell merchandise in the “Vendor Area”.

So, how well are the "officals" going to be montioring this?....especially if I'm well behaved and not doing anything crazy, just transportation?  Is there anyone I can talk to to bribe with cookies and maybe get an "excemption"? :roll:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 03:37:48 PM »
With the large number of entries the SCTA-BNI does a lot of montioring of the pits, service roads start line and the spectator area. Going toward the mountains (west) can get you in trouble if you get stuck, happens every year, Getting towed out of the soft salt can be a problem getting lost because of the size of the area on something as small as a go kart is even a bigger problem. The racers are there to race and having to have a kid or adult running around is something they don't want added to what they are there for. Each rule is for a purpose usually because of something that has happened in the past. The same rules say no riding in the back of pick ups or on a trailer. Common sense is best.

As a point of interest I have been going to Bonneville since 1953 and I could write a book on all of these types of things I have seen and why we have to make the rules and procedures we have. If you camp at the bend in the road that's an open area but it's at least 6 miles from the pits and race course.
Hope this explains the reasons.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:39:40 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 03:46:11 PM »
So, how well are the "officals" going to be montioring this?....especially if I'm well behaved and not doing anything crazy, just transportation?  Is there anyone I can talk to to bribe with cookies and maybe get an "excemption"? :roll:

Denise I heard that the first offense would result in a "warning".  The second time they catch you they shoot you with a stun gun and after you quit yelling and screaming they haul you down to Floating Mountain and make you walk back to the pits with no water.  Oh yeah, did I mention that they have at this point taken all of your cookies and have consumed them with a smile on their faces  :-o.

Love ya,

Sum

P.S.  Trade the go kart in on a mini bike..........you still have time!

hotrodladycrusr

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 03:58:57 PM »
I could probably borrow a mini-bike but it's not going to be nearly as fast as my go-cart and I kinda feel like one of those circus bears riding one.. :-P
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:00:37 PM by hotrodladycrusr »

hotrodladycrusr

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 04:04:11 PM »
Oh yeah, did I mention that they have at this point taken all of your cookies and have consumed them with a smile on their faces  :-o.

Love ya,

Sum

Then perhaps after they TASTED my cookies they would give me my cart back??? :wink:

In reality, my go-cart would be less damaging to the Salt's enviroment then Big Olds which I would then not drive out on the Salt if I could drive the cart.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 04:10:09 PM »
Oh yeah, did I mention that they have at this point taken all of your cookies and have consumed them with a smile on their faces  :-o.

Love ya,

Sum

Then perhaps after they TASTED my cookies they would give me my cart back??? :wink:

In reality, my go-cart would be less damaging to the Salt's environment then Big Olds which I would then not drive out on the Salt if I could drive the cart.

I'm guessing that it is a visibility issue with the low stance of the go kart not being easily seen, especially by teams pushing and/or pulling race vehicles and others driving around.

Talking about cookies, I didn't get any last year  :cry:,

Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 04:12:38 PM »
Denise
If you go to Bonneville and see the lay out and what is going on you might change your mind. It is not a play ground. We have to deal with safety all meet long and if someone gets hurt play riding and we have to shut down the meet because the ambulance has to deal with it there are going to be a lot of unhappy racers.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

hotrodladycrusr

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »
Glen, I'm bad for not doing an intro and letting folks know alittle about me.  I've been to Speed Week a couple of times already so I'm fimiliar with the layout and the distances and I would prefer to lay on the Salt bleeding, and wait till sunset for my ride to the hospital, before I allowed racing to stop because of something stupid I did.  Nor would I ever do anything against the rules which would give the team I crew on a black eye.  Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not a prude or stick in the mudd, I just know when and where to play and when/where to watch my P's and Q's.  Trust me, if I don't get permission ahead of time my go-cart stays at home. 

I will be the blonde with red glasses with my thumb out looking for a ride from the end of the asphalt to Sumner's pits around 9am each morning. (I don't wake at the crack of dawn like some) :-D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:45:12 PM by hotrodladycrusr »

hotrodladycrusr

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 04:49:18 PM »

Talking about cookies, I didn't get any last year  :cry:,

Sum

Well I think there might be cookies with your name on them IF you know who I can contact at SCTA regarding me getting permission to break a rule......I can buy one of those dorky 6 foot orange flags and mount it to my go-cart. :wink: