Author Topic: We need Speed Week transportation assistance...  (Read 4842 times)

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
We need Speed Week transportation assistance...
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:16:44 AM »
First the bad news…
Per their announcement on the LSR mailing list, the Timney’s will not be attending Speed Week this year! Oh the humanity! They’re in the midst of a remodel at the shop and just can’t make the trip while all the building is going on! (How sad we finally get to go & they won’t be there!)

So, now here’s my dilemma. Our race gear had a first class ticket to ride aboard the Timney Express to make its way to Bonneville while we took the express flight out. With the Timney’s being in our vicinity (us VA, them DE) I was just going to swing by in a few weeks and drop off our box(s) of stuff.

I am now trying to figure out how to get two sets of full motorcycle gear out there without having to carry it on the plane ourselves.

We’ve considered mailing it out but between the cost and the worry of it arriving safely that’s not our favorite option.

Is there anyone within driving distance of Northern Virginia that would be willing to lug a box (or two) of gear out to Speed Week (and home) for us?

Any other ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
Debbie & Todd Dross
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline AJR192

Re: We need Speed Week transportation assistance...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:56:21 AM »
Deb, if you need to you can mail it here to me in Salt Lake and pick it up when your flight gets in. Let me know.....

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 12:09:17 PM »
Ah, how the best laid plans can gang aft agley...

Remember when I visited you two a few weeks ago -- and asked if I could carry your gear out to Bonneville?  And remember how you assured me that Joe and Donna would do it, so no thanks?  Dang, I'm sorry, Deb.  There's room in our new trailer, too. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 01:03:06 PM »
Thanks AJR192, we'll keep that as a consideration! If we have to mail them we might as well mail them into the general vicinity of our destination! I really appreciate the offer & will contact you privately if we need the assist!

Yes Jon and thanks but our stuff isn't even ready to go yet! If it had been you can bet I would have sent it home with you!! Our pants are out at the tailor getting a few extra leather patches sewn on. We should have them in 2 weeks (I hope) and then they will be ready for transport.

Thanks! ... and keep the good ideas flowing!!  :-D

Deb

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 01:12:06 PM »
Deb,

Why not Fed Ex/UPS the stuff to Jon?

DW

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 02:13:30 PM »
Considering you need to transport bikes and bikes stuff, I'm thinking somebody must've checked out car shippers for prices on this. I just briefly Googled a one car rate from just North of NYC here to Wendover, NV and got a range of $1100 and up, one way.
Tools, timing, etc need to be researched obviously. Anybody ?
Just an idea, I don't have a dog in this fight, my dog moved to Maine.
(See Loring Forum)

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 02:26:44 PM »
Oh come on now Bob we can't be bothered bringing such bulky things as bikes!  :-D

No seriously, we're not bringing any bikes. Todd and I are just flying out to watch, help & learn. We're bringing our gear ONLY (no tools, no bikes) for a couple reasons. The big one is to see if we can get a basic set through tech.  The second is that Todd will hopefully be able to make a pass or two on the salt while we're out there. Right now Stainless has offered him a ride if all of the stars align. There may be another option or two out there. I wouldn't mind a rookie run on something slow if one were offered. Hey, it doesn't hurt to have our gear just in case!  :-) That's why we were just going to stick it in the corner of Joe's trailer. We have a UPS account but since we have a UPS account and deal with them all the time you can imagine why that makes me nervous!  :-o

I just thought I'd throw it out there & see if there were any better options!!

Thanks for the input... keep the ideas flowing!
Deb

Offline krusty

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »
I'll be leaving from Salisbury, NC (30 mi. north of Charlotte off I85) on 8/13 (hopefully) and  could fit yer stuff in our trailer. On the salt on Saturday, but might be leaving Wendover on Friday. Let me know if I can help.     vic

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 09:29:18 AM »
I'm leaving from Southern Illinois on the 14th and plan to be on the salt on Sunday for tech. I will have room in my trailer for your stuff if needed. I will also be staying in Salt Lake city on Saturday night.

Randy
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 10:29:18 PM »
Deb- I am in Annapolis, about 50 miles west of Joe.  I am not sure what I am packing yet but expect could find space either in truck or the race car. How big do you think the boxes will be?  I am leaving afternoon 13th, SLC Sat night I anticipate and to the track Sunday AM.  Not sure when coming home- Thursday or Friday latest.

The eyes still doing well?

Jack
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 02:17:31 PM »
Ok, so far Jack (jacksoni) is the closest to us and I could easily make that connection so I'm sticking you number one on my list of possibilities! Like I said, the leathers are still out getting tweaked so I don't have an exact size on the packaging yet.

I was thinking of sticking as much as I could into a cooler (normal sized) so we'd have our gear AND a cooler! I think I can get everything I need into two of the Rubbermade Roughneck 18 gal storage boxes. Of course they are leathers so they can easily be hung up or draped across something (seat/trunk). I can pack stuff up weatherproof as well if they need to be in an open area. Hey, I'm flexible!

As for the eyes, they are awesome!!! I'm supposed to have a final follow up if I can get it scheduled in and that should tell me my exact vision but I do believe it's better then "normal". Todd used to have the best vision out of all of us & now I do!  :-o

Keep the ideas coming, obviously I need to set up a primary & back-up plan!  :lol:
Thanks everyone for helping us out, we really appreciate it!
Deb

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 02:23:07 PM »
OK, let me know. Perhaps Sunday 10th best day to hook up if you decide come this way.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 02:37:44 PM »
OK, let me know. Perhaps Sunday 10th best day to hook up if you decide come this way.

Excellent! I'll pencil you in on the 10th! We can work out the logistics closer to the date. I'll bring a couple of packing options with me in case your space is tight. It's also close enough to departure time that we should all know that we're still going and that my "stuff" needs to go too! hehehe

We could still use a back-up plan if anyone else has ideas or is close by!

Of course the back-up back-up plan is to mail the stuff!  :-D

Thanks!!!!!!!

Deb

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 02:43:04 PM »
Deb:  Here're some numbers to help with your planning:  Nancy's leathers (no built-in armor):  approx. 8#
Mine, with full armor and padded back hump:  about 13#.

We get both suits, both pair of boots, both sets of gloves, and both helmets in a canvas stuff-sack that's about 36-42" long by 18" diameter.  The whole thing weighs around 30#.

Your results may vary.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 11:21:41 PM »
Att...SSS

Deb's results will be different than Nancy's.

No matter how you pack 'em.

She explained that to me recently.

FREUD
Since '63