Author Topic: Chain Guard For Bikes Question??  (Read 10689 times)

Super Kaz

Re: Chain Guard For Bikes Question??
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 01:17:01 PM »
kaz   what is the rule about streamlining in the naked class --like the bike in the pic you posted  willie

willie,
The Worlds Fastest-AKA John Noonan would know them BETTER then Me so I'll let him explain? :?
That Bike was Raced in the ECTA at Maxton,and I don't know their rules compared to ours at the SCTA :mrgreen:?
It's WildBill's 246+mph 1st time out Turbo Busa with a Few Bell's and Whistles :roll:!
Hope i'll be ready by next week :|.
Kaz...............

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 11:22:13 PM »
kaz   what is the rule about streamlining in the naked class --like the bike in the pic you posted  willie

willie,
The Worlds Fastest-AKA John Noonan would know them BETTER then Me so I'll let him explain? :?
That Bike was Raced in the ECTA at Maxton,and I don't know their rules compared to ours at the SCTA :mrgreen:?
It's WildBill's 246+mph 1st time out Turbo Busa with a Few Bell's and Whistles :roll:!
Hope i'll be ready by next week :|.
Kaz...............

Kaz & Willie

I cannot view the picture in question however if if it is Bill Warners bike it ran awesome speeds of 230, 240, 243 and 246 at the last Maxton meet and also was "loaned" to Scott Horner to complete the 3-peat of the naked 200mph club entry..Bonne, Elmo, Maxton..

The bike is legal for the ECTA and may also be legal for the SCTA, the battery would be the only thing in question as Bills bike is the most naked bike running :mrgreen:  I have been at El Mirage when an inspector told a competitor that he could not run the ram air tubes in a naked class as the inspector felt they were an aerodynamic advantage.. :roll: and some inspectors have allowed lower air dams in the naked classes :roll:

Bill holds the fastest unfaired records in history period bar NONE!

He worked his azz off to get in to the Maxton 200mph club and did it harder than any bike racer I personally know of...on a Yamaha...and not some fancy FJ1200, R1, or some other sportbike, he did it on a V-Max, no nitrous, no Turbo, No supercharger...just wit, determination, hp and great riding. :mrgreen:

Nuff said...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 11:56:23 PM »
Yep, that big square block in the front is so much more aero than a tilted headlight....  :roll:  I thought that bike was a lot more naked than most, and a nice job he did. 
Ram air tubes... aero advantage, yea, they give the air a path through the motor...
Hope that wasn't the leader of the "World Finals Fairing Slaughter"
Back to subject... yep gotta have a chainguard
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 12:26:37 PM »
I teched Bill's turbo naked 'Busa (along with a few others) and the battery in front wouldn't be considered aero - because of its vertical front side.  If the battery were slanted -- top to the rear, most likely -- we might have had some reason to question the location of it, but because it presents a flat surface I let it go without more than a good chuckle with Bill.  I made the call because of a similar question on my bike at Bonneville a few years ago -- when I had the ECU and other hardware mounted inside the nose piece of my nitrous bike.  I removed said fiberglass and went to tech for a naked bike run, and Russ O'Daly agreed that the surfaces being parallel or perpendicular to the ground did not offer any aero advantage, and that therefore the installation did not violate the no-streamlining rules.  I probably could even find that statement on paper if you wanted me to do so.

As for the rounded shape of the tubes running into and out of the intercooler -- those'd be more problematic if someone protested 'em.  The ram air tubes?  I've been allowed to run 'em on a naked bike sometimes, I've been asked to remove 'em on a naked bike sometimes.  That particular call would again be up for discussion in case of a protest, but we didn't feel they violated the rule (while doing the safety inspection) enough to suggest that Bill remove or modify them.

By the way -- what's this question got to do with chain guards?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WildBro

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 01:18:15 PM »

I think Willie is refuring to the front fender.  This fender would NOT pass FIM.  Since it is the stock Busa fender, it passes (should) everywhere else.  I myself do not like the fender and as soon as I am able to replace it with a legal FIM fender, I will.
If I could find a differant spot for the battery, I would.  I believe it is robbing me of speed.  My brother said he has the handle off my great uncles barn door and wants to mount it on the front of the battery.  I told him to stay the hell away from my bike.
As for the chain guard, it is an Ace Hardwear special and works very well.  I tore the chain apart at the second meet and the guard did its job.

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 04:33:01 PM »
.............................If I could find a different spot for the battery, I would.............

Get a dry cell type like the optima, but smaller and mount it on it's side longways above the rear tire under the back fender brace.  You don't have that much suspension travel back there do you?  Might even be able to use the current one back there straight up and down long ways in the same area.

Congrats on your accomplishments,

Sum

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 04:44:51 PM »
Sum,

He may be better off running it where it is as with Texas and Maxton he will have an advantage of the added weight in front with keeping the bike from wheelying as easy versus not having the added weight..

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 02:48:03 PM »
I'm rereading old posts.  I would like to know why Bill's front fender wouldn't pass FIM.  Someone please enlighten me.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 03:00:38 PM »
I'm rereading old posts.  I would like to know why Bill's front fender wouldn't pass FIM.  Someone please enlighten me.

Jon,

It would pass in a partially streamlined class however it might be considered "streamlining forward of the rider" at a naked FIM record attempt.

J

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 03:02:23 PM »
Okay -- that makes sense.  I didn't think of the naked bike/FIM consideration, that's all.

See you in a couple of weeks?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 03:08:20 PM »
Okay -- that makes sense.  I didn't think of the naked bike/FIM consideration, that's all.

See you in a couple of weeks?

You got it...I will be driving the car and riding a bike or two..

Offline WildBro

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 04:52:15 PM »
Hi SSS,
I know it would not pass FIM naked, because the FIM inspector told me so at BUB '07 when that fender was on the Vmax.  He did show me a fender that would, I think it was on a Buell, meaning there can be a little plastic down the fork legs but not much.  I have a R1 fender for the Vmax that I believe would pass.  Funny thing about that R1 fender.... Had it on in April '07, went 200mph.  Ran the rest of the year with the Busa fender pictured above and never could hit 200 again.....until the Oct. meet when I put the YAMAHA R1 fender back on and ran 201mph.
Oh I'll be changing this Busa fender in the future!!!  Plus I have a feeling that like the cut plastics at the end of last year, people will be cutting fenders this year.(I hope they just don't run no fender, I really believe that is DANGEROUS!)

Bill

Offline willieworld

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 05:24:32 PM »
bill  im not traveling the speeds you guys are but i will one day and wondered why you think no front fender is dangerous---some times things that look aero arnt            thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline WildBro

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 05:43:33 PM »
bill  im not traveling the speeds you guys are but i will one day and wondered why you think no front fender is dangerous---some times things that look aero arnt            thanks  willie buchta

The front wheel is flinging stuff all over... into the bike, up and into your face... NOT safe at any speed.  I sure wish I had the pic of scott Horner after his run with no front fender.

Bill

Offline willieworld

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 06:35:53 PM »
i ran at SW abd WF and had no fenders on 2 wheels (sidecar and front ) and never had a problem that a garden sprayer wouldnt take off the bike- didnt need any for me  ---maybe it has to do with differant designs or something --did you run a front fender if so have you ran without one   thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta