Author Topic: Is it as simple as this?  (Read 26589 times)

canadianrocky

Is it as simple as this?
« on: July 03, 2008, 12:23:52 AM »
I suppose it wont be, but when I read the SCTA rule book I see that the G/GC record is 155.599 mph. Well, a stock Honda s2000 will go close to 160 mph. So if someone where to take a s2000; put in the safety equipment necessary; put on a hard top for the aerodynamics & clean up the rest of it as best you could; change the rear end to a quick change so it would qualify for the class; put on a set of headers & a high performance throttle body & remap the computer to take advantage of it: do the the other few things you would need to get the job done; would you not then have a car that would easily go over the old record? And by quite a bit I would think.

I would think the budget, including the purchase of the car, could be kept to about $25,000 if you did lots of the work and where careful with the purchasing.

And you could drive the car to Utah to boot.

Are these the silly ramblings by someone who is a non racer?

I see that the record for this class is 20 years old. Even the G/GT record is below 160 mph, and is also 20 years old.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 12:27:04 AM by canadianrocky »

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Is it as simple as this?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:28:09 AM »
Yeah,  Its that simple.  Until you get to Bonneville, that is. 
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

John Romero

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 12:32:31 AM »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 12:39:49 AM by John Romero »

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 12:53:17 AM »
Read all about it here:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/all/2003/sport_not_so_fast_there_bud_feature/(page)/1

They thought it would be simple too :lol:

Good story John, thanks for posting.

Scott

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 01:07:23 AM »
yes sir    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 01:51:01 AM »
Even the G/GT record is below 160 mph, and is also 20 years old.

The S2000 would run in GT. Oh and if you didn't know Bonneville not only has a friction coeff. of ~ .5 it's at 4200' above sea level.  :-o.
That being said no record is "easy" but they are all held by someone who said "I think I can" so go for it!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 09:14:38 AM »
I ran a 152+ in a 1600cc Miata (4.1 gears and the rev limiter set to low) - don't know what "real" class the car fits in.  Plenty of power left and had that done in the first mile. FWIW

Boost is a wonderful thing, if you can find the traction.
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

MCR

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 10:58:52 AM »
That article had something in it that interested me.

They ran that on V-Rated (149) tires. But they put a record down over 150.

Is there more to the rulebook?  I'm told that I can't run over the published rating.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 03:57:32 PM »
the SCTA rulebook--TIRES 2.7---the type of tire required in each class shall be governed by the current record speed in such class at the beginning of a meet as follows :

up to 100 mph:  oem tire, q rated
up to 115 mph:  oem tire, s rated
up to 120 mph:  oem tire, t rated
up to 130 mph:  oem tire, u rated
up to 150 mph:  oem tire, h rated
up to 200 mph,  vr and zr  rated tires
in excess of 200 mph: special tires for racing as designated by the manufacturer
open record classes :  tire requirements shall be determined by the speed in the next larger displacement class in which a record exists.

that seams pretty simple to me even though im not a car guy----let see if i got it --if you had a car that that was running on a 116 mph record  you would need a t rated tire but when you made your first run you went 131 mph could you make a back up run --yes because the record is still only 116 mph --then you run your second run and run 132 you set the record at 131.50 --can you make another run in that class --NO not with those tires       willie buchta

and it could get a lot worse if you were running on an open record
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 04:02:23 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 04:05:27 PM »
If this happens then the inspectors would have to re-inspect the vehicle after certifying the record and before it makes another run assuming it's trying to even better the new record. This would be something hard to assure without some kind of tag / decal in case they went to the starting line and tried to run on the lower rated tire. It's doable but would require follow up. The starters won't know unless there is something they can spot. Something to think about.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline willieworld

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 04:15:05 PM »
yes it is  now what if you showed up at speedweek to run on an open record and figered you car would run 116 mph and set the record but the record in the class above you was 180 mph you would need a tire with the 180 speed rating--i think what im trying to say is --ckeck before you make that long drive or you might be in SLC buying another set ---the motorcycle rules for tire rating is not the same as cars   just some thoughts  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 04:38:22 PM »
It's always simple on paper.  The Salt?  well.... 
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline willieworld

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 05:03:14 PM »
shane   are you ready for july  we are going to bring my daughter and grand baby-- madison would love to see your kids --when you get a chance would you have krystel send me her recipes for banana nut bread LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

MCR

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 05:36:16 PM »
Thanks!

Guess I misread (not the first time).  Thought VR was 149.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 07:04:48 PM »
I would think the budget, including the purchase of the car, could be kept to about $25,000 if you did lots of the work and where careful with the purchasing

The S2K is a solid foundation to work from to build a GT or MS car, so don’t think I am trying to talk you out of this.
 I assume I am going to loose 20% of the NA motor because of the 4k+ elevation at 100+ degrees. Blown motors can jack the boost so it is not as much of a factor.

I tell people (based on my own experience) that to get  a true accurate idea of what the project will cost use this formula; account for everything that cost money….add 10% to your end number….then double it!.

Good luck and I hope you decide to do it.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)