Author Topic: Jocko Johnson Streamliner on eBay  (Read 18262 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline aircap

Re: Jocko Johnson Streamliner on eBay
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 02:29:03 PM »
Wow. Never seen that one before.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Bville701

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 09:31:26 PM »
That's pretty cool.

I wonder how this person got the car?
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 09:44:32 PM »
Wow, if I wasn't so caught up in my own deal I'd have to seriously look at buying that piece.

Offline pookie

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 12:10:16 AM »
I am going to question the ebay sellers claim that this car was crafted by Jocko Johnson. I could be wrong and will welcome the correction, but I think the car was built in the late 60's early 70s' and "Jocko" was long gone from racing by then. The front wheel drive and use of chrome moly tubing are also afactor in dating the car. The body design is from that 70's and later design used quite a bit then. Jack Costella's 1st Neb Thureum[spelling in latin is tough}car body has that look, but is from fiberglass and is on the roof of his shop last time I looked. I think "Jocko" built some of his cars from aluminum, I am going to say 2, maybe 3 but I'm not sure. The "Jazzy Nelson dragster, Garlits wynncharger and perhaps Dean Moons car. I do know he built glass  bodies, and I have heard he still has the molds. This is all from memory and from a guy who can't remember what he had for lunch today so cut me a little slack. But if anyone out there has the real "skinney" I sure would like to know. Thanks Mike R.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 02:07:04 AM »
robert jocko johnson was a head porter he built  and owned the car that jazzy jim nelson drove-- the car was constructed from fiberglass--  the next car he built was made from aluminum finished in 1964 and driven by emery cook known as the thunder car  i read that in a book somewhere  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:40:52 AM by Dean Los Angeles »
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Ratliff

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 10:56:37 AM »
I am going to question the ebay sellers claim that this car was crafted by Jocko Johnson. I could be wrong and will welcome the correction, but I think the car was built in the late 60's early 70s' and "Jocko" was long gone from racing by then. The front wheel drive and use of chrome moly tubing are also afactor in dating the car. The body design is from that 70's and later design used quite a bit then. Jack Costella's 1st Neb Thureum[spelling in latin is tough}car body has that look, but is from fiberglass and is on the roof of his shop last time I looked. I think "Jocko" built some of his cars from aluminum, I am going to say 2, maybe 3 but I'm not sure. The "Jazzy Nelson dragster, Garlits wynncharger and perhaps Dean Moons car. I do know he built glass  bodies, and I have heard he still has the molds. This is all from memory and from a guy who can't remember what he had for lunch today so cut me a little slack. But if anyone out there has the real "skinney" I sure would like to know. Thanks Mike R.

Some structural upgrades were done by Gene Burkland to the car on eBay several years ago.

The 1958 drag liner driven by Jim Nelson was a fiberglass body. The car on display at Garlits' museum is the original chassis with a recreation of the body.

The car sold to Dean Moon was an aluminum body.

The Wynn's Liner (Swamp Rat #17) was another fiberglass body.

Also on display at Garlits' museum is a conventional slingshot Top Fuel dragster with a full streamliner fiberglass body by Jocko.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:06:26 AM by Ratliff »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 01:01:01 PM »
Dean, cool articles..... Thanks for the links
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 01:37:05 PM »
Thanks, Mike, for posting links, not entire articles.  You get two attaboys today.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 02:01:29 PM »
I must admit that I erred -- first time since that once, long ago, when I thought I was mistaken.  Anyway, I just got this in a PM from Mike:

"I merely posted the link to the auction.  DEAN posted the article links."

So much for attribution to the wrong person.  But hey, I tried. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline LSL

• New folks
  • Don't Judge My Abilities By Your Limitations
    • LandSpeed Productions
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 02:03:55 PM »
Jocko and Joanie Johnson called me yesterday about this streamliner on eBay. I have a bunch of photos taken during the construction of the "liner by Jocko but don't know how, or if they can be loaded to this forum discussion.  Jocko began building this 'liner at his shop in Capistrano Beach and almost finished it at his new shop in Twentynine Palms before it was taken away on Easter Sunday 1988 by George Cromer. Jocko and I are working up a full report, but the core of the story -- according to Jocko --  is that although Cromer paid for most of the parts, he simply ran off with the car and never paid Jocko for any of his labor.
Speedy Regards,

LandSpeed Louise

Offline aircap

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 03:46:38 PM »
I noticed it brought almost $26,000 for the winning bid.
Wanna bet it shows up in the tech line this August?
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 03:50:37 PM »
It needs a lot of upgrades including a 4th or 2nd. rear wheel to run as a car.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Ratliff

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 04:15:31 PM »
It needs a lot of upgrades including a 4th or 2nd. rear wheel to run as a car.

It's got four wheels.

Somebody would have to check to see how long it's record stayed on the books, but for many years the Summers brother "Polywog" held an SCTA C/Streamliner record even though its wheels didn't even form a trapezoid, as its rear wheels were all on the same track. The "Polywog" was grandfathered through so many rules changes it ended up holding the C/Blown Fuel Streamliner record at 308.941 mph even though that class didn't even exist when the Summers brothers built the car!

http://bp3.blogger.com/_30Z6BIQolRQ/RglalvQWtPI/AAAAAAAAADI/wfUuScSJTKs/s1600-h/scan0026.jpg
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 04:34:06 PM by Ratliff »