Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3300446 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #3615 on: February 24, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »
Still searching for a VdG generator, but this can make some nice zaps in the meantime:

http://www.sciplus.com/p/STATIC-ELECTRICITY-WIMSHURST-GENERATOR_45363
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #3616 on: February 24, 2014, 12:33:07 PM »
  Jon,
   Is this what you are looking for?    http://hbarsci.com/products/ph0920a?gclid=CPjO2r2l5bwCFW9p7AodK08AjA

Doug  :evil: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3617 on: February 24, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »
  Jon,
   Is this what you are looking for?    http://hbarsci.com/products/ph0920a?gclid=CPjO2r2l5bwCFW9p7AodK08AjA

Thanks Buickguy3!!

It's EXACTLY what is needed to 'shock' MM back to reality . . . . . . .

Although I do have an old magneto laying around somewhere . . . . . . . . .

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Eyegore
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline 251ENG

• New folks
« Reply #3618 on: February 24, 2014, 01:47:56 PM »
Hello all

Graham , thanks for the kind words , we do like to do things correctly ( class win on monte carlo for 3 years running now  :-D) . Yes it seams only yesterday when we had the 850 stuck on the rally  :-D :-D . Do you own all the minis in OZ yet and how are my cooper s blocks ?

Fordboy you are correct , tappet angle is 2.5 degrees , we normally open up the tops of all the pushrod holes to 1/2" x 1" deep on competition engines.

Some very nice stuff on the BWR site :-o :-o

As for fitting a Rover K series ,  do you know what the K stands for ?   :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3619 on: February 24, 2014, 02:23:29 PM »

As for fitting a Rover K series ,  do you know what the K stands for ?   :-D

Well, given the reputation of the engine, and Rover's VERY peculiar use of nomenclature, I can only assume that the "K" stands for
"Problems".   :wink:

I've got a shop manual for the engine, and I'm aware it's not the greatest engine in the world, but I'm also aware there are ways to make them live.

And heck, I'm only going 3 miles at a crack - how much trouble can I really get in to?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 251ENG

• New folks
« Reply #3620 on: February 24, 2014, 04:18:01 PM »
K is for

KETTLE   :-D :-D

A container for boiling water

Sorry about that , they do have a LOT of head gasket problems in road cars but make good power in race aplications . The 1800cc fitted in the caterham R500 made over 240bhp. Try the Quorn engine devolments web sight

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3621 on: February 24, 2014, 06:56:33 PM »
K is for

KETTLE   :-D :-D

A container for boiling water

Well - that's good to know.  Not only can I build a race engine, I can bring along my lauter tun and brew a batch of beer while my engine is on the dyno.  :cheers:

Offline 251ENG

• New folks
« Reply #3622 on: February 25, 2014, 02:03:46 AM »
 :-D :-D

Just out of interest are any of the heads you are testing offset valve ones ?

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3623 on: February 25, 2014, 05:52:58 AM »
:-D :-D

Just out of interest are any of the heads you are testing offset valve ones ?

Yes.   Both Swiftune heads use 1.48" inlet valves combined with 1.22" exhaust valves.     As this combination will not fit the standard valve spacing dimension, I suspect the exhaust valve has been offset by the usual .050".

Midget's Longman head uses a 1.48" x 1.15" valve combo.    I'm pretty sure it is at the standard spacing.

The other Longman head uses a1.48" x 1.22" valve combo.     Would have to suspect that it also has an offset on exhaust.

When I get some time this week, I'll measure the valve spacing centerlines for several of the heads I've been flow testing and post up the results.

What is interesting to note however, is that:

A/    The Swiftune heads DO NOT flow as well on exhaust, as the Longman heads, offset or not.    (See the previous graphs.)    My previous experience is that this would
       require a "slightly" different cam grind for best output . . . . . .
2/    The "optimum" cam grind for a particular cylinder head is going to vary.    Based on engine displacement, rpm range desired, component strength, shape of the torque
       and bhp curves desired, etc, etc, etc.    (It's Complicated.)
d/    EVERY HEAD SO FAR TESTED, has responded positively to the substitution of 'RimFlow' exhaust valves.    Now having said this, I will also state that I have not tested
       every head with the 'Rimflow' exhaust valves.     So at this point I would classify this as a "trend", as opposed to a "certainty".    Additionally, there MAY be other
       considerations concerning a specific engine build, which MAY find the 'RimFlow' valves unsuitable.    The 'RimFlows' are heavier and give less valve to piston clearance,
       etc.
z/    In the results driven world I live in, there is no such thing as "too much low lift flow".    What I have seen consistently between flow testing and dyno testing is that:
       The engine with the best "area under the output curve" is the winner.    PERIOD.     Very seldom, if ever, have I seen an "airflow dog" become a "dyno winner".    AND, if
       that is the case, some engineer or technician did not do their job . . . . . .

But again, it is significant for me to note here that:  Except for the testing results, which are facts, most of this is my opinion.   And in the world of "professional motorsport" (un-caged verbal wrestling, as it is . . . . . :roll:) there is some "professional disagreement" as to what is, and what is not, important.    Smart pros let their results talk for themselves.

Does the Swiftune price you quoted include VAT?     I would be interested to know their current quote for a full race spec (8500/9000 peak rpm on a 1310cc Mini) complete head assembly for export.    I have a client who just trashed a head and needs a replacement as soon as possible.     What is your experience with MED head assemblies?
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy 

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #3624 on: February 25, 2014, 08:41:56 AM »

Another mad scientist . . . . . . .[/size][/i][/b]

http://russellengineering.com.au/performance-cylinder-heads/

Resistance is futile earthlings . . . . . . . .   Prepare to be disintegrated!   Er, flowtested?!?

Eyegore

Thought you'd like Graham (Russells) Stuff F/Boy / Igor / ?

Simon, I sold all your blocks to take a trip to Bonneville and see the midget!!  :-o :-D :-D

Offline 251ENG

• New folks
« Reply #3625 on: February 25, 2014, 02:12:44 PM »
Hello all

Interesting finding with regard to the flow of the heads , any chance of some pictures of the heads ?
I once had a slark 12G 940 that had 38.5mm / 31mm valves , although the inlet valve is massive throat size was not huge .

MED do some nice heads .

Thats my OZ " stash " gone then  :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3626 on: February 26, 2014, 12:05:46 AM »

Fordboy you are correct , tappet angle is 2.5 degrees , we normally open up the tops of all the pushrod holes to 1/2" x 1" deep on competition engines.

Simon, that little tidbit of information just came in VERY handy.

I stopped by C&S today to drop off the cam to have it read on the Cam Pro machine.  Mel, the shop owner, has become a great help to me.

He has an employee who is familiar with the program, but nobody else in the shop has had need to work it.  It's classic - a shop full of very competent machinists who are just a step behind because this type of analysis is something they don't get a lot of requests for. 

Mel suggested that rather than pay his guy to do it, I should take the book home, stop by on Saturday and knock myself out. 

So I downloaded a sample app of the program, and one of the first questions that pop up in the window for measurement set-up is "follower bore v piston bore angle."

Well, shucks - that guy with the Lucas injected 8-port just posted up that info!

So thanks - you just saved me about an hour digging through my file cabinet.

Which means I owe you a beer.  :cheers:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3627 on: February 26, 2014, 07:42:37 AM »
Hello all

Interesting finding with regard to the flow of the heads , any chance of some pictures of the heads ?     Yes.   Have some shots that I will post up soon.   Obviously the chamber shape will be apparent, but it's sort of difficult to take meaningful pics of the port & seat shapes.    I'm not intending to "section" any of these heads as they are still in use.

I once had a slark 12G 940 that had 38.5mm / 31mm valves , although the inlet valve is massive throat size was not huge .   Not surprising.   The ports with the best low-lift flow have 'venturi' shaped valve seats of approximately .85*valve dia.

MED do some nice heads .    Have a damaged one to test.   Will post results.

Thats my OZ " stash " gone then  :-D    Pity.

Sorry for the comments in the text, pressed for time.
 :cheers:
Fordboy

Offline hbarsci

• New folks
« Reply #3628 on: February 26, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »
  Jon,

Thanks Buickguy3!!

It's EXACTLY what is needed to 'shock' MM back to reality . . . . . . .

Although I do have an old magneto laying around somewhere . . . . . . . . .

Eyegore
So, we saw some traffic coming our way from this post and I was curious as to what products a Landracing Forum was interested in.  VdG huh?  Pretty awesome stuff! 

(If any of you guys actually want one, send me a PM on here or email at service@hbarsci.com -- I can discount one for you.. or any of other products for that matter)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3629 on: February 26, 2014, 01:24:02 PM »

So, we saw some traffic coming our way from this post and I was curious as to what products a Landracing Forum was interested in.  VdG huh?  Pretty awesome stuff! 

(If any of you guys actually want one, send me a PM on here or email at service@hbarsci.com -- I can discount one for you.. or any of other products for that matter)

We tend to go for things that spin, explode, make your hair stand on end . . . or beer -

http://hbarsci.com/collections/bar/products/beakerpong

You know . . . geek stuff.

Actually, I'm surprised a company like hBARSCI isn't building their own vehicle to run.  You'd be a great fit on the western Utah sodium chloride evaporation basin.

:cheers: