Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3272946 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #7860 on: September 13, 2021, 07:11:57 AM »
I'm somewhat hamstrung in my ability to put forth this post in that my computer bricked on the salt. This morning, I address you from my cell phone.

That also is the reason we were not able to pull diagnostics and properly troubleshoot our poor engine performance.

But I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge a HUGE debt of gratitude to Steve Anderson, Gus Ryan, Don and Gus Jackson, The Utah Valley University land speed racing team -

https://www.uvu.edu/news/2020/11/11122020_bombshell_betty.html

- and ALL THINGS AND PEOPLE associated with Stainless and the Bockscar team, who simply put their car in impound and descended on the Midget pit like a swarm of friendly beer drinking locusts in an effort to put us back on the salt.

I got one shakedown pass in - I pulled 114 and change with the big tires in 3rd gear with the 4:55s. Nick's rookie pass got quashed by a clutch disengagement issue. But now that I know the chassis set-up is spot-on - the car ran straight as a die - all future driving duties will fall to Nick.

When my computer gets fixed, I'll file a full report.

Kate was a saint through all of this. The rest of the trip is hers, and we're off to Roosevelt National Park.

One more thing - Gus and Wayno - the tomatoes made for and outstanding caprese salad - best lunch I ever had on the salt.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #7861 on: September 13, 2021, 07:46:21 AM »
Chris,

great to read that the base performance is given for future record runs.

And you know....as I'm a member of the Bockscar team.....I got you on my "supporter" list....

whenever you need a help in the direction of engineering, aerodynamic, handling...let me know....

...don't ask me about engine and gear mechanic....this is Stainless part in the Bockscar team....I only know...it sometimes helps to go fast....when it works properly....

...and well.....as I remember Nick...it means that the little MG has to carry a couple less pounds on human ballast.... :-D.....so he may had not to wait to get the right tailwind..... :friday
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7862 on: September 13, 2021, 08:41:33 AM »
More than once since embarking on my salt racing career and going to EFI/ECU have wished for a simple distributor with points and a carburetor. Oh Well. You have answered a bunch of questions and not bad for first time out with a new combination. I am sure you will figure it out. So was sorry hear but it will come. Will be watching for future reports.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7863 on: September 13, 2021, 12:23:18 PM »
Chris, it was good to se you and The Midget on the salt these past few days. I hope you can find the problems with your ignition and fix it. The car looked great and it was nice to finally get to meet Kate. Have a safe trip home.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7864 on: September 14, 2021, 09:22:55 AM »
Something happened when the engine was reinstalled - the engine started, ran and pulled cleanly out of the car, but there have been issues since reinstallation.
A damp, salty morning probably didn't help, but once the clutch is fixed, I'll go through the harness connections and sort it on a chassis dyno.
I was reluctant to tune the whole package on a CD before, but it's pretty clear that from this point on, we'll probably need to be dealing with this combination on a package level rather than using a component strategy.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7865 on: September 14, 2021, 10:14:57 AM »
I have seen things like a faulty crank position sensor. that seems to test ok, screw things up similar to what you describe. You using a Hall or VR sensor?
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7866 on: September 14, 2021, 10:38:34 AM »
Jack, both the crank and cam sensors are Hall Effect.

Under Stainless' tutelage, guidence and oversight, we added .005 and subtracted .005 to the .020 gap on the crank sensor - no help or difference. The cam sensor height is established with shims, and it signals off of a 180 degree lobe on the exhaust cam. I was unwilling to lower it without the proper measuring equipment to verify the mounting depth.

Again, my computer went down and we were unable to check the wave forms.

I did get in one dance, but I kinda felt like I tripped on my shoelaces at the prom and ripped my trousers in the process.

At least my date didn't run off with Wayno . . .

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7867 on: September 14, 2021, 10:45:43 AM »
Hall sensors are really good. Only had one fail and it got hit by the crank wheel coming loose. The "180" lobe on the cam is somewhat confusing to me. A single large lobe or two? Anyway, I am sure you will scope it out when you get to it.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7868 on: September 14, 2021, 11:08:40 AM »
One large - 180 degree on-off is what the sensor provides with each revolution of the cam.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #7869 on: September 14, 2021, 11:42:02 AM »
At least my date didn't run off with Wayno . . .

Curses.      Foiled again.    muutt

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7870 on: September 14, 2021, 01:36:32 PM »
One large - 180 degree on-off is what the sensor provides with each revolution of the cam.
  Ok, I guess that is what your ECU wants. Is just different from my usual understanding of what is common ie not any system I am aware of. Course that is me, not what is out there.  :oops:  But with that, it seems to me the system could be half a crank rotation off before the thing figures where it is. Anyway, don't mind me.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 01:38:21 PM by jacksoni »
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7871 on: September 17, 2021, 11:52:09 PM »
I'm simply not catching a break.
We came back through Montana to check out T. Roosevelt National Park in N. Dakota. Astonishing side trip, worth every minute and dime.
But I lost a trailer wheel bearing in Hixton, WI this afternoon (seriously, HIXTON - I'm not making this up). I had a truck load of tools, and I found a kit at the NAPA store about 20 miles away, got it back on the road by 4:30 only to crack the hub and gaul the spindle outside of Madison.
Staying with my sister in Madison - flat-towed the Midget to her place 9 miles away and hope I haven't smoked the output shaft bearings on the transmission.
Contemplating the cost of a replacement axle and a year's storage, I've determined I'll seek a new trailer next summer.

10 years, a trip to Maxton and almost three round trips to Bonneville - it doesn't owe me a thing.
Now to find a rental to get the Midget home and a flatbed to to bin the trailer.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 02:02:19 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline salt27

« Reply #7872 on: September 18, 2021, 01:41:39 AM »
Chris, it was a pleasure seeing Kate and you again.

I need to take lessons from you on being pleasant in the face of adversity.

Enjoyed the Chuck Profit story, Thanks, Don

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7873 on: September 18, 2021, 02:09:09 AM »

I need to take lessons from you on being pleasant in the face of adversity.

Well, I don't know how pleasant I was tonight. For the first time in 38 years, Kate called me a jerk.  . ., and my sister didn't disagree . . .  :roll:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #7874 on: September 18, 2021, 06:26:44 AM »
Chris, I found that complete axles with hubs weren't that expensive. I replaced one about 6 years ago and it was a bit over a hundred bucks in Salt Lake City. Just a thought.
Wayno