Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3273598 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #7830 on: August 03, 2021, 11:00:35 AM »

I am stealing that budget turn plate idea! Thanks.

Bill, I wish I could say it was mine, but I stole it from someone cheaper than me.

Just don't over-grease it, or you'll be cleaning up your garage floor.

As much as I rag on Chevy's, the fact that you can make a phone call and order a quality competition flywheel, and do so a month out is a luxury our combination has never had.

Make it so - make it go.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #7831 on: August 03, 2021, 12:46:59 PM »
Chris:

Pre-covid that was the case but now everything is on back order.

I am not smart enough to race that exotic British stuff. I have to read books on the side just to try and figure out what the heck you and Mark are talking about. :) Then there is the deep humor that goes right over my head. :) Looking forward to see the Midget in Sept.
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7832 on: August 03, 2021, 04:20:50 PM »
Chris:

I am stealing that budget turn plate idea! Thanks.

I have had starter motor eating flywheel gremlins. I think I have it fixed this time. Waiting on a flywheel from Quartermaster and the engine can go back in. I can't get on the wheel dyno until the 21st but should be ready after that. We are headed out on Tues. Sept 7th looking to arrive at WoS by mid-day Wed. I'll be headed across from St. Joseph, MI.

BR

Instead of waiting for Q'Master:

Call Vicky Fox @ PowerTrain Technology.   She and her hubby, Steve Fox, former Q'Master head designer, run PowerTrain.   Steve's newest stuff is better, AND MIGHT BE IN STOCK, unless it is an orphan application.

Tell them I sent you, tolerance level will increase 1 magnitude, MAYBE . . . . . .

:cheers:

Mark Balinski Sr.
AKA: Fordboy628
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7833 on: August 03, 2021, 04:29:37 PM »
Factory toe-in is 1/8" - I'm at 1/4" and I'm fine with that. If it had stock 145 80R 13s on it, it would probably be closer than when it rolled off the line at Abington on Thames.

HEY!!

JUST ENOUGH toe-in to be stable, 1/16 to 1/8 inch TOTAL, depending on the "slop" in your front end.

More "slop" = more toe-in

REMEMBER THE "2 FINGER PUSH RULE" . . . . . . . .

Nice lazer trick.   How did the cats like it?   Laura's canine rats chase a lazer spot on the carpet 'till they are dizzy.   Great fun for her and mom.   :roll:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7834 on: August 03, 2021, 04:44:21 PM »
I believe 1/8th is fine for the salt.  But moving closer to 1/4 on the dirt won't hurt you.  Much different surface -- of course neither are ever consistent.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7835 on: August 04, 2021, 10:33:18 PM »

Nice lazer trick.   How did the cats like it? 

Here's the deal that Kate - who I love and would do anything for - and I have worked out regarding the cats:

The cats have unfettered run of the main floor of the house.

The garage, on the other hand, was, is, and until i die, will remain a feline-free zone.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #7836 on: August 07, 2021, 08:28:12 AM »
Chris:

I read where there will be no race gas supplier at WOS. How much fuel do you need for the Midget? I guess I will need to bring at least a drum of 110 about 10 runs. I think I will try and find a VP distributor or Sunoco race gas seller out west to buy a drum from. Maybe I can pre-pay and pick it up on the way by. What are you doing for fuel?

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #7837 on: August 07, 2021, 08:42:13 AM »
He wonders how it is that Holley stays...afloat......😑
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #7838 on: August 07, 2021, 02:56:27 PM »
No race gas supplier at WoS??!! I guess everybody runs in a fuel class.

John

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7839 on: August 07, 2021, 10:20:03 PM »
Chris:

I read where there will be no race gas supplier at WOS. How much fuel do you need for the Midget? I guess I will need to bring at least a drum of 110 about 10 runs. I think I will try and find a VP distributor or Sunoco race gas seller out west to buy a drum from. Maybe I can pre-pay and pick it up on the way by. What are you doing for fuel?

BR

Bill, that was something I was wondering about.
I've always dynoed on VP C14. How much will I need? Geez, that's a great question.

Tommy at T&T commented while we were dynoing that it was a thirsty little dog.

In 2013, I think we made about a dozen runs, and I had bought 10 gallons of the fuel provider's equivalent to C14.
I'm lucky to have a provider close by, so I'll probably bring a couple of pails.

Will they be checking gas at WOS?

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #7840 on: August 07, 2021, 11:03:57 PM »
Chris:

The facebook communication I saw said they would test qualifiers and record gas. So I am sure they will. And they should.

I can't remember for sure but seems to me I used around 4 gallons a run but never ran it out 5 miles in 2011. I am guessing about 5 gallons a run. So I need around 50 gallons unless I have a mechanical issue.

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7841 on: August 07, 2021, 11:14:12 PM »
The facebook communication I saw said they would test qualifiers and record gas. So I am sure they will. And they should.

That would work out well for me. I'm loath to run a full tank unless I have to, and seeing as I don't have a fuel gauge, I check level with a dip stick. It would be nice to not have to track down a tech to reseal my tank every time I check fuel level.

Online Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #7842 on: August 08, 2021, 08:08:52 AM »
Factory toe-in is 1/8" - I'm at 1/4" and I'm fine with that. If it had stock 145 80R 13s on it, it would probably be closer than when it rolled off the line at Abington on Thames.

HEY!!

JUST ENOUGH toe-in to be stable, 1/16 to 1/8 inch TOTAL, depending on the "slop" in your front end.

More "slop" = more toe-in

REMEMBER THE "2 FINGER PUSH RULE" . . . . . . . .

Nice lazer trick.   How did the cats like it?   Laura's canine rats chase a lazer spot on the carpet 'till they are dizzy.   Great fun for her and mom.   :roll:

So..... What's the "2 Finger Push rule"????    That's a new one for me.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7843 on: August 08, 2021, 09:43:55 AM »
OK, here is where the "2 finger push rule" came from.    Reduction in rolling resistance DEFINITELY paid off in in results.   It's the "little details" again . . . . . .

Rambling musings from a Bonneville virgin . . . . . . .

Followers of MM's build diary might recall that the previous best run for the "Milwaukee Midget" was 118.693 mph.  This year's new "Best Run" was 126.684 mph

So during the 1600 miles and 21 hours crammed into the "Dodge" (masquerading as a tow vehicle) the conversation inevitably turned to: "THE QUESTION"

"Where the hell did the 8 mph come from?"

Some obvious thoughts that occurred to us:

1)  Old bhp 95.1;  new bhp 99.1, for a 4.2061% increase.  Since velocity increases as a cube function of power, 1.62 mph could be allotted to power increase.   :-)
2)  Push start to 30/35 mph.   This probably helped, but how do you quantify it?   :?
3)  Tail wind at the start line.   Pretty constant 7-9 mph with gusts to 14 mph.   This undoubtedly helped, but again, how do you quantify it?   :?    Also, consider that the
     backup run was into a 8-10 mph headwind, and that did not totally kill it.   So ? ? ? ?   :?
4)  Aero gains.  This year the car is about 1 inch lower in the rear and 2.5 inches lower in the front.   Had to help overall CD number, but how much? ?   :?
5)  Drag reduction gains.   :-)
     A)  Lower viscosity fluids; engine, trans, diff.   :-)
     B)  Higher fluid temps.  Used magnetic heaters to preheat engine oil and diff fluid.   :-)
     C)  Brake drag reduction.  Well, no more front brakes!!   And backed off on the rears.   :-)
     D)  Trick wheel bearing grease.   Some NASA developed stuff used for racing bicycles.   :-)
     E)  Change front toe-in from 1/8" in, to zero.   :-)
     F)  Change tire pressure from 50 psig to 70 psig.  Seemed to help rolling resistance, but again,   :?
     G)  On a totally subjective note, 'the car' has become quite easy to push.   Once it's rolling, one person can keep it going with a mere two fingers . . . .   :-)

I guess I'm going to have to start punching numbers in to my copy of "Bonneville Pro" to try to gain some insight on this.

In the meantime, I'm going with part of my signoff remarks, (the one I changed the color on this morning):

"Does paying attention to all the 'little details' matter?"   "I dunno, but I think you should ask the guy who finishes second . . . . ."
Fordboy

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7844 on: August 08, 2021, 10:07:19 AM »
I talked with Dennis - USFRA pres, about fuel at WoS this year.  After lots and lots of discussion with fuel vendors large and small, racers, and teams - it was decided to have no event fuel supplier and go with testing ALL gas class competitors' fuel if they qualify. 

ERGO:  Bring your own fuel and expect to be tested.  No problems about dynoing with one and racing with another, and hey - it works at El Mirage this way, so it oughta be just fine at WoS.

Bring your own gas.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com