Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3273694 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #7770 on: June 26, 2021, 11:10:04 PM »
Wise man sayeth . . .

"Well y'all have just about bench raced that thing till it needs an overhaul.... You have more power available at higher RPM.... So take it to the great white with a smaller set of tires as spares and see what it does..."
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #7771 on: June 27, 2021, 12:14:45 AM »
The unique feature of an [open] differential is often overlooked- identical torque to both drive axles. Thus  no steering moment created by differing traction. [disclaimer: yes, there can be small brief torque differences due to polar moment of inertia as a wheel/tire begins to slip or stops slipping, but these forces are insignificant.]

My 1/4" tape measure is a Stanley.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7772 on: June 27, 2021, 12:45:23 AM »
I'm a bit of a geek on vintage tools.

I think I've mentioned in the past the Lufkin 1" micrometer that was my dad's. He worked in inspection at Collins Radio during the Apollo project, and I'm reasonably certain there are parts sitting on the moon that passed between the anvil and spindle of that mic.

I've also mentioned that I would, from time to time, go out with my grandfather and my dad on Saturdays to set monuments.

After my grandfather passed away, this sat unused for years in my grandmother's basement. I remember grandpa using it to check foundations under dies for squareness and size. When my grandmother passed, it came to me.

20210626_232144 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

A unique aspect is that it's not loaded with the original tape - it's loaded with a flat 50-foot steel Lufkin tape. 

20210626_232207 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

I use it regularly, and I'll use it when I calculate the tire size.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 01:03:45 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7773 on: June 27, 2021, 06:57:15 AM »
Chris, the reason I was familiar with the 1/4" tapes is because I worked with a lot of pavement oval track cars. We have to measure tire stagger very closely because it has a real affect on how the car goes around the corner. Your fifty foot tape does everything right but is really awkward to use because of its size. I have one of those too. when you're at the track and trying to measure tire circumference you'll be really happy for the small tape.

Good luck with the project. I'm really looking forward to record results!!!  :clap :clap :clap

Pete

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7774 on: June 27, 2021, 02:47:00 PM »
I'm intending to measure the rollout with the open diff in place in the alley behind the house. I'll chalk the tires and measure out 5 revolutions and take an average.

When I was serious about my bicycle odometer's accuracy, I used 10 revolutions of the chalk marked, loaded rolling circumference.   Was within 2 feet of a measured mile many times.

But it will depend on how much room you have.

Last day . . . .

:dhorse:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
Fordboy's Birthday!
« Reply #7775 on: June 28, 2021, 12:43:39 PM »
He's currently lying low with his lovely consort in their fabulous estate south of the Cheddar Curtain, but I would be remiss if I weren't to acknowledge my accomplice and co-conspiritor on his birthday.

As to which one it is, I'll only go as far as to say that this is one time his math isn't particularly accurate.

Nevertheless - Happy Birthday, Mark!

:cheers:

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7776 on: June 28, 2021, 01:02:43 PM »
Also, Happy Day Fordboy
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #7777 on: June 28, 2021, 01:23:38 PM »
Snuck another one in when he thought we weren't looking!  :evil:  :cheers:
Can't do WoS - trying to squeeze in Speed Week - maybe see youse two at PRI?  :-P
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7778 on: June 29, 2021, 09:41:47 AM »
Thanks everyone, for the kind birthday wishes.

Another day, another record for men of my generation in my extended family . . . . . . .

:dhorse:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7779 on: June 30, 2021, 12:05:34 PM »
Just got a call from the driveshaft service - We're rebuilding.

We're utilizing the existing slip yoke and rear flange - both deemed to be in good shape - and upping the diameter to 2". Solid, permanently lubricated (read "undrilled") Spicer U-Joints are on the way - I'm told to expect it next Wednesday.

He claims it was way out of balance - Once again, I'm glad to have caught this here rather than in Wendover. But all this talk of 10,000 RPM kind of gave me pause for thought . . .

Bob - yes, the two driveshaft loops ARE 360 degrees. Additionally, the driveshaft tunnel is also closed off on the underside, and I have a second driveshaft tunnel over the existing one that was constructed to cover up the ugliness that was the notching I needed to do to the original toward the front of the cockpit in order to accommodate the shifting of the transmission back 2" in the chassis.

That I needed to do in order to make the K fit under the Bonnet in an upright position.

There's a bump on the branch on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea . . .

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7780 on: June 30, 2021, 01:38:50 PM »
Good job. Now your critical speed is >21000 muutt
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7781 on: July 02, 2021, 10:03:03 AM »
Is this a favorite beverage?
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7782 on: July 02, 2021, 10:16:57 AM »
I've always liked that jingle - and what a great moniker for a beer!  Take a swig or two and burp -- the noise sounds like the name of the brew. . .

Tangent:  Blatz was/is a bland, light, and kinda sweet drink that is pretty generic.  I used to stage a beer-tasting contest (a blind test, like "The Pepsi Challenge", yanno) when we'd have the gang visit, and dang near every time I tried it -- Blatz was the most popular choice.  This was way back - like the 70s and 80s, when Heiniken was still exotic and Coors was imported by a buddy who brought some back from his trip out west.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #7783 on: July 02, 2021, 11:39:24 AM »
Yes, those were the days when every local Milwaukee neighborhood street intersection had 4 beer taverns: Blatz, Miller, Pabst, and Schlitz. All on tap. You brought your growler to take home and keep in the ice box. The local hot rod club was the Schlitzers. Augie Pabst had a terrific sports car career. Milwaukee had a great auto racing history!
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7784 on: July 02, 2021, 11:51:11 AM »
When I was still living in Iowa and the drinking age was 18, Blatz was one of those peculiar, inexpensive, inoffensive, quasi-exotic brands you could get once you crossed the river into Wisconsin.

After I moved here in the early 80's, it was still available in Southeast Wisconsin in returnable bottles.

At $6.99 a case, Blatz saw me through my divorce.

So I associate Blatz with celebration.

But the ABSOLUTE BEST INEXPENSIVE CHEAP BEER EVER IS HUBER BOCK.

The Huber Brewery in Monroe, Wisconsin, the second oldest brewery in the US, continues to sell this fine elixir, and while it's price has gone up from $12.99 a case in returnable bottles 15 years ago, at $12.99 a 12-pack in cans, it remains one of my favorite "Here, try this" beers for out-of-towners.