Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3273219 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #7755 on: June 25, 2021, 05:50:14 PM »
I have tried welded diff, open diff and now, a torque sensing diff. Have not tried the torsen diff yet but have high hopes. Just trying to obtain the most control I can get on an ever changing track surface.

John

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7756 on: June 26, 2021, 12:20:43 PM »
I am not an LSR authority, but I can't envision any circumstance where a welded diff will be detrimental on a low traction surface with very low power at the drive wheels.   I'm thinking that it will be an advantage to have both rear wheels engaged with the surface, since you are going in a straight line.

Also an advantage on a poor (uneven) surface where a 1 tire loss of traction would result in loss of "thrust", and therefore acceleration.    You never had CG Vs center of pressure issues that you are aware of, have you?  At the low rates the MM is going to achieve, I just can't see how some extra traction could be bad.    But, WTH do I know . . . . .     Your call buddy.

And, YES, it will be a PITA to push by hand while turning . . . . .
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7757 on: June 26, 2021, 12:28:23 PM »
Here's a thought:

Compare pounds of car weight per engine hp.    For your MG Vs the higher powered V8 vehicles.

Your MG is more like Jacksoni's ride, hence: less sensitive to traction lateral bias, more sensitive to longitudinal traction loss.   Working theory on my part.   Discuss . . . . .

:dhorse:

Thinkyboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7758 on: June 26, 2021, 01:09:22 PM »
Been doing some searches on the forum.

It's doubtful I'll have issues.

Those who have had problems had a LOT more power and were going a lot faster than the Midget is capable of.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #7759 on: June 26, 2021, 02:00:46 PM »
if Chris has something to fear......

it's head wind....

as the air resistance  from that brick (means the MG)....will increase progressive......

Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7760 on: June 26, 2021, 02:28:47 PM »
...also, don't let your brake pads drag on the rotors.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7761 on: June 26, 2021, 02:38:29 PM »
...also, don't let your brake pads drag on the rotors.

I only have drums for back brakes - which prevents me from running ECTA.

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #7762 on: June 26, 2021, 03:07:30 PM »
Some considerations on differentials:
Open diff = equal torque to wheels        Welded diff = equal rotation to the wheels

"...since you are going in a straight line."

Welded diff OK as long as rollout is matched and the straight line is the desired direction.  If deflected from the desired direction by any number of possible causes, the diff will resist steering correction.  Mismatched rollout (in as-raced condition, with operator weight) will induce a directional bias and imbalanced steering response.

Welded diff on a poor surface, with loss of traction on one wheel, the "good" wheel will induce a torque on the chassis tending to cause a change of direction.  Open diff on poor surface, wheel thrusts are equal (assuming balanced rollout) but reduced.  Little effect on directional heading.

Given ultra short Midget wheelbase, directional stability probably a plus, but hard to say welded diff wouldn't be satisfactory.   On a marginal traction surface or where Hp can overwhelm traction available, either diff would produce the same thrust.  Welded thrust advantage would only occur in one-wheel loss-of-traction situations.

Another consideration is how much rear axle wheel load is transferred right-to-left due to the solid axle, driveline torque, and suspension stiffness.   [Who's got some strain gauges?]

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7763 on: June 26, 2021, 04:20:31 PM »
Some considerations on differentials:
Open diff = equal torque to wheels        Welded diff = equal rotation to the wheels

"...since you are going in a straight line."

Welded diff OK as long as rollout is matched and the straight line is the desired direction.  If deflected from the desired direction by any number of possible causes, the diff will resist steering correction.  Mismatched rollout (in as-raced condition, with operator weight) will induce a directional bias and imbalanced steering response.

Welded diff on a poor surface, with loss of traction on one wheel, the "good" wheel will induce a torque on the chassis tending to cause a change of direction.  Open diff on poor surface, wheel thrusts are equal (assuming balanced rollout) but reduced.  Little effect on directional heading.

Given ultra short Midget wheelbase, directional stability probably a plus, but hard to say welded diff wouldn't be satisfactory.   On a marginal traction surface or where Hp can overwhelm traction available, either diff would produce the same thrust.  Welded thrust advantage would only occur in one-wheel loss-of-traction situations.

Another consideration is how much rear axle wheel load is transferred right-to-left due to the solid axle, driveline torque, and suspension stiffness.   [Who's got some strain gauges?]

OK, so with the locked/welded diff assembly, a former non-issue; inflated, rolling, loaded tire circumference, becomes a critical issue for acceptable "torque steer", or perhaps even "wind induced", yaw angle.

I'm thinkin' even a small effort should be able to handle this variable, since all it would take would be a dress maker's cloth tape measure to measure inflated circumference of the tire/wheel assemblies.   Some close attention needs to be paid during "shaving" for equal diameters, or as equal as possible.    TOTAL equalization can also take place via pressure increase/reduction.   Just like NASCAR . . . . .

Just as long as the tape measure is not used to check any bust sizes . . . . or ass circumferences . . . . . OR ? ? ? ? . . . . . .    :roll:       SOME THINGS HAVE TO REMAIN SECRET AND SACRED . . . . .

:cheers:
Perhapstoothinkyboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7764 on: June 26, 2021, 04:47:24 PM »
midget,

For your laptop:

https://superflow.com/windyn-data-viewer/

Did not try the download myself, as I already have copies.   You NEED to follow the installation instructions to the letter.

Dynodataboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7765 on: June 26, 2021, 04:54:54 PM »
midget,

Drive arrived in mail today.

Will copy files when I return to T&T after vacation.   Will then return to your location above the "curtain".      NEED to lower my BP & drain my "coping bucket" a bit.

Too many members of the "Dunning-Kruger University" out there.    It's a interpersonal problem for me, never have dealt well with omnipotence . . . . .

Fishyboy

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7766 on: June 26, 2021, 06:31:22 PM »
Even better than a cloth tape is a 1/4 inch wide steel tape measure. They are flat in cross section and wrap smoothly around a tire without crimping. Just make sure you get one that's long enough. The dollar store ones tend to be too short. I used to buy Lufkins that were ten feet but I don't know what's available these days.

Pete

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #7767 on: June 26, 2021, 07:19:11 PM »
Or, actually measure the rollout, wheels installed on the car with driver and car in ready-to-race configuration:
On flat, smooth garage floor, mark the tire sidewall/tread at a floor contact point.  Make corresponding mark on the floor.  Roll forward one or more turns.  Make another corresponding mark on the floor.  Measure between the marks on the floor.  Then adjust pressures etc. etc.  Has the advantage of accounting  for tire deflection at the contact patch.
Doesn't account for tire growth at speed, but should be close enough.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #7768 on: June 26, 2021, 09:11:56 PM »
Lots of figuring and theory's going on. Don't forget about the tire ruts when the coarse gets bad that's probably going to play havoc with all this math.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7769 on: June 26, 2021, 11:01:51 PM »
I'm intending to measure the rollout with the open diff in place in the alley behind the house. I'll chalk the tires and measure out 5 revolutions and take an average.