Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3273571 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #7560 on: April 25, 2019, 10:37:36 AM »
John, there were 2 Abarths that held that record between the Bug eye and the Midget.... neither would be legal in class starting this year.  Much like the Saab that took it from the Midget and the Midget in its current configuration. 
When the SCTA makes a major change in class rules it ripples a fairly small pond... I suspect they will make it right 
But to their defense... GT was the only production class with non-production rules.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #7561 on: April 26, 2019, 01:40:59 AM »
... [post] #7554 (nasty tin can by assembly worker noises) relates to #7546 Nissan pickup truck noises...
Oops... I had read that but then forgot about it.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7562 on: April 28, 2019, 07:22:24 AM »

Midget, write the SCTA Board a nice letter telling them you feel slighted by their omission of your record.  Since yours is the only legitimate (as of now) I/GT record since 1979.  By the way that is when a Bug Eye Sprite owned it at 92ish.  I think everyone since then had a swap.
Outside engine architecture determines swap, not inside.

Maybe it was just a typo  :roll:  or you are not from California  :-o  :cheers:

Chris, I sent you an email requesting you to look over the records (I sent them with the email).
I understand now that you had other issues to deal with at that time.
No one is trying to leave anyone out of their legitimate records, so please send either Keith Copland or myself the information you have so we may make any corrections necessary to the rule book.   
Thanks,
Hope you are doing better.

Gentlemen,

Thank you to you both for your thoughts and support.

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7563 on: April 28, 2019, 08:13:33 PM »
Mike - Check your e-mail inbox.  I did the research this afternoon, and included Keith on the e-mails.

Thanks.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7564 on: April 30, 2019, 03:40:01 PM »
Received an e-mail from Keith this morning - he's going to look into it, and I'm grateful.

Offline ShazamRacing

• New folks
« Reply #7565 on: May 15, 2019, 01:22:01 PM »
Chris,  I was told earlier in the year that your old I/GT record would be restored to the class standard.   I was very surprised to see the record listed as 'open' in the new rule book.  I contacted Copeland as soon as I received my book to be sure that this was accurate. He related it was still under review and that your mark may end up being reinstated as the record.

What is the issue here?  Is it proving that the 'grenade' motor was actually OEM for this car?   

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7566 on: May 15, 2019, 07:08:15 PM »
Hi, Gary - good hearing from you!

Right now, Keith is investigating.  I've sent him photos of the engine, along with a list of head castings utilized on the A-Series, and a list of modifications we made to the head - The head seems to be where the focus of the investigation is. 

They haven't asked me any questions yet, but they've got my number.  It's my hope that the thoroughness of the documentation we've provided under public scrutiny here in this build diary helps our case.  The world has seen every success and failure we've put across - we're not hiding anything.

I'm aware you've had a bit of a runaround regarding your head as well.  Combined with this change-up in the GT category rules, you, me and Tom Donney aren't sure which category to put on the entry sheet!

I'm still on the mend from chemotherapy and radiation last winter, was hoping for Speedweek, but banking on World of Speed.

BE SAFE, and the best of luck to you and Caitlin!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7567 on: June 30, 2019, 10:19:47 PM »
June 30th - still no response.

Quote from: Milwaukee Midget link=topic=17213.msg319639#msg319639
I really think this sounds like a worm can.
[/quote

That was December . . .

Physically, I'm feeling better each day, but to be honest, given the lack of concern regarding the class with the powers that be, my enthusiasm has waned considerably.  I'm too close to done and too invested to back out, but I'm feeling a bit like Roger Maris.

Part of my frustration was allayed today when I actually got the Midget to fire up and run long enough to burn my fingers on the headers.  Tuning this set-up requires getting it to run so it can self-diagnose and monitor itself off of the O2 sensor.  From there, I can at least have a baseline to tune from - and that it's running in the car itself is huge, in that it proves the fuel delivery system in addition to the system wiring are working.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7568 on: July 29, 2019, 07:38:18 AM »
June 30th - still no response.

Quote from: Milwaukee Midget link=topic=17213.msg319639#msg319639
I really think this sounds like a worm can.

[quote

That was December . . .

Physically, I'm feeling better each day, but to be honest, given the lack of concern regarding the class with the powers that be, my enthusiasm has waned considerably.  I'm too close to done and too invested to back out, but I'm feeling a bit like Roger Maris.

Part of my frustration was allayed today when I actually got the Midget to fire up and run long enough to burn my fingers on the headers.  Tuning this set-up requires getting it to run so it can self-diagnose and monitor itself off of the O2 sensor.  From there, I can at least have a baseline to tune from - and that it's running in the car itself is huge, in that it proves the fuel delivery system in addition to the system wiring are working.

Chris,

A decision has been made.

The current, standing record for I/GT has been restored to the Milwaukee Midget, as set in 2014.

Happyboy
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 09:07:04 AM by fordboy628 »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Online jacksoni

« Reply #7569 on: July 29, 2019, 08:11:33 AM »
Hallelujah!! Congrats Chris and about time they made the correct decision. Hope things are moving in the right direction, albeit slowly!

Jack
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #7570 on: July 29, 2019, 08:18:10 AM »
Congrats guys. We believed in you.  :cheers:
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline RaceEngineer

« Reply #7571 on: July 29, 2019, 08:33:37 AM »
Chris,

Glad to see the correct conclusion was reached.  Hope it motivates you to continue racing and recovering.  You and fordboy add a lot to the forum.

Thanks,

Don   

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7572 on: July 29, 2019, 08:59:08 AM »
Thank you to the SCTA Board.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/3738e9205ea2b38bff6e053ab5cdc43b?AccessKeyId=1B489604A3781742F233&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

You have to scroll down to Unblown Grand Touring Sports -/GT

And I want to add that there is a certain Texas resident who has been very supportive of the effort to return to the previous record.

He also campaigns what I believe to be the "killer car" for the class.

OK Gary, go get the record at SpeedWeek!   Best of luck and best wishes.   Wish we could be there to see it happen.

Go fast, be safe and let that rice grinder rip!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7573 on: July 29, 2019, 09:21:32 AM »
And so the truth is that:

Ringo, the Beatles, Joe Cocker, Leon Russell, and the Mad Dogs and Englishmen were right . . . . .

You get by with a little help from your friends . . . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s-dSoDptVc

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Hippieboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7574 on: July 29, 2019, 09:26:28 AM »

And I want to add that there is a certain Texas resident who has been very supportive of the effort to return to the previous record.

He also campaigns what I believe to be the "killer car" for the class.

OK Gary, go get the record at SpeedWeek!   Best of luck and best wishes.   Wish we could be there to see it happen.

Go fast, be safe and let that rice grinder rip!

X2

Records are meant to be broken - not debated.  You and Caitlin can make it happen.   :cheers: