Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 788438 times)

Offline jdincau

Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #735 on: January 14, 2015, 02:56:25 PM »
Filter Bypass?
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #736 on: January 14, 2015, 03:32:41 PM »
Probably, Jim. Two others read "PUMP OUT" and another "PRESS LOW". Something to do with a hydraulic system I guess.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #737 on: January 14, 2015, 08:19:52 PM »
That's an awesome dash Neil.
I love the detail. :cheers:

What are the dimensions?.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #738 on: January 15, 2015, 11:44:39 AM »
Mike;

The instrument panel is 32" wide by 4 1/2" high, aluminum with two u-channel stiffening ribs top & bottom. The whole thing is mounted on three aircraft shock mounts to protect the gauges from vibration.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #739 on: January 15, 2015, 05:11:53 PM »
Neil, looks great,question are you going to the toggle switch red covers on the bottom row? With gloves on it makes it easy to click off one or all with a additional bar across the top to close all at once.
Just a thought.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #740 on: January 15, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »
Glen;

Thanks for your suggestion. It isn't visible in the photo but there is a huge 12V relay (marked "US Army Air Corps") that is operated by this switch in series with an impact switch. If either the switch guard is snapped down or the impact switch is triggered, ALL of the 12V power is shut off. The indicator showing green "OPR" changes to amber "STBY" when this happens and the "POWER" indicator shuts off. As long as the battery switch is on, the "BATTERY" light is on.

Most of what appear to be toggle switches are actually Airpax switch breakers-- circuit breakers that are designed to be a toggle switch with a built- in circuit breaker. This way I can control electrical stuff individually as well as having circuit protection.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #741 on: January 16, 2015, 07:54:04 PM »
Another very tiny step forward; I have added a push- pull control cable to actuate my battery cut-off switch. I didn't like my original idea so I re- did it. This cable runs forward to the nose. On the right side of the radiator air inlet there will be a small handle to shut off the battery by a pull, which rotates the arm and moves the switch to the "OFF" position. The thing is a trial assembly right now so there is no nut on the rod end bearing thru bolt. I'll clean it up and finish it with primer before final assembly.

The arm is made out of 1/2" 6061-T6 plate. If I can find a threaded handle it will save me from having to make one. Rubber- lined 3/8" clamps secure the control cable to the chassis.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #742 on: January 16, 2015, 08:06:05 PM »
It looks good Neil.

You've made a lot of progress lately.
How long do you think before you're done?. :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #743 on: January 16, 2015, 09:07:19 PM »
One thing I've learned, Mike, is that hot rods and race cars are never really "finished". There is always something that gets added or changed.

I hope to have it running by Speed Week. Maybe.

Offline DND

« Reply #744 on: January 17, 2015, 10:48:23 AM »
Hi Neil

You could drill and tap the side of your arm and put a set screw in to go onto the shaft flat spot, just to make sure the arm does not rotate on the shaft when you really need it

To go along with your pinch bolt for extra safety, cant be to carful with these types of things !!

G Don

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #745 on: January 17, 2015, 04:20:52 PM »
G Don;

Yes, I plan to do that, or put a pin through both. It needs to be a positive retention as you pointed out.

The shaft on that battery switch is not just a flat on the round shaft. For some reason they put on two tapered flats that fit the original cast zinc knob.

Offline DND

« Reply #746 on: January 17, 2015, 09:18:34 PM »
Some kind of a pressed fit deal I guess ?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #747 on: January 17, 2015, 09:22:33 PM »
The original know was held on the shaft by a setscrew through the knob into the center of the shaft. The tapered flats provided something to turn the shaft. I wonder why someone doesn't make a battery switch with an actuating arm as an option?

Offline DND

« Reply #748 on: January 17, 2015, 09:40:30 PM »
The new breed of bean counter won't allow cool stuff to be made anymore, junk rules

It is a very sad comment about the way things are done today here in the good old USA

Getting harder to find the good stuff no matter what it is

A bummed out G Don
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 09:42:05 PM by DND »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #749 on: January 21, 2015, 07:12:29 PM »
I was afraid that this might happen.   :-P 

I searched the internet for a pull knob that would be suitable for my battery cut-off cable, a push- pull control cable with ends threaded 10-32. No luck, so I made one out of 1/2" 6061-T6 aluminum plate. Nothing fancy- I cut it out with a hacksaw, dressed it up on a belt sander and then tapped it 10-32. I had a can of self-etching primer so I tried that after soaking it in a phosphoric acid solution. The topcoat of red should make it visible to the emergency crew. I designed it so that it could be pulled by a person wearing gloves.