Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 788307 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #525 on: June 24, 2014, 10:58:10 PM »

I found a local plating shop that will do small odd lots. There are a number of small items that I'd like to get zinc plated instead of painted. I'll take them to him in a few days.

Neil - you've got to stop upping the game - you're making us all look really bad . . .  :cheers:

Look bad? Good grief-- you've all run your cars many, many times while mine is still being built. I'm the one looking bad!  :-D

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #526 on: June 24, 2014, 11:17:06 PM »
Neil, you're just looking good slowly. :-D

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #527 on: June 27, 2014, 09:20:20 PM »
Today I made tabs for the fire bottle pull cables and welded them into place on a few chassis tubes. Two pulls left of the steering wheel (a 5lb and a 10lb bottle for the cockpit) and one pull to the right of the steering wheel (a 10lb bottle for the engine bay). There is also a 10lb automatic bottle for the engine bay.

Next is deciding where to put the 'chute pull and fuel shutoff pull. Right now I'm leaning toward putting the 'chute pull close to the base of my shifter (it's only about 7" long); I should be able to reach it quickly there.

I mounted my battery cut-off switch. I will put the pull cable handle on the rear. Since this is a mid-engine car, even with a moderate (if there is any fire that's "moderate") engine fire it should still be easily accessible.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #528 on: June 27, 2014, 09:56:35 PM »
Neil, do you still have to strip it all down for painting after?.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #529 on: June 27, 2014, 10:11:31 PM »
Today I made tabs for the fire bottle pull cables and welded them into place on a few chassis tubes. Two pulls left of the steering wheel (a 5lb and a 10lb bottle for the cockpit) and one pull to the right of the steering wheel (a 10lb bottle for the engine bay). There is also a 10lb automatic bottle for the engine bay.

Next is deciding where to put the 'chute pull and fuel shutoff pull. Right now I'm leaning toward putting the 'chute pull close to the base of my shifter (it's only about 7" long); I should be able to reach it quickly there.

I mounted my battery cut-off switch. I will put the pull cable handle on the rear. Since this is a mid-engine car, even with a moderate (if there is any fire that's "moderate") engine fire it should still be easily accessible.

Neil:

Sounds good, I have an auto system in the trunk where the fuel cell and batteries live. I figure a fire out back may go un-noticed until it is raging. The Auto system should snuff it out quickly. If for nothing else it gives me peace of mind. In a mid-engine car the auto system is a real good idea since you might not know until it is really cooking back there.

My car... so far goes straight so about the last 1/4 mile I reach down and have my hand on the chute lever. The level is where may handle naturally lands when I drop it from the wheel. Seems to me a more fluid motion than having it mounted where I have to reach or feel for it. My electric cut off I have to reach for slightly and it is a forward throw where the chute is a rear throw.

I have heard some of the streamliner guys have fore sensors and warning lights which sounds like a good project for the future.

Enjoying your build,

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline jdincau

« Reply #530 on: June 27, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »
Neil,
     Keep in mind the restricted reach area arm restraints will bring to the equation. On our modified roadster controls were on both sides, ignition, shift and brake on the left, chutes, fuel shut off and fire bottles on the right. I did not like this arrangement when I was driving so when I built the street roadster I did it differently. Ignition on the steering wheel operable with the left hand while steering, everything else is operated by the right hand. Starter button on top of the brake handle, Chute, fire bottles and fuel shutoff in a cluster above the brake handle, shifter is by the right hip. With a left side driver position this allows all the monkey motion to be performed with the hand that has the longest restraint and the left hand remains on the wheel at all times.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #531 on: June 27, 2014, 10:58:43 PM »
Mike;

Yes but it is already stripped down pretty far. I'll just need to remove a few things before hauling it into town for sandblasting. Then I'll shoot zinc chromate 2-part epoxy primer and top coat it with aliphatic isocyanate polyurethane.  Then the fun begins-- putting on the riveted panels, firewall panels, and all the other stuff.

BR, that sounds like where I plan to put my chute release. It's good to hear that it works well. In addition to the battery cut-off switch actuated from the rear of the car, I have a "master electrical shutdown" that is actuated in the cockpit by flipping down a spring- loaded cover on a toggle switch. This turns off a high-current relay in series with the battery cut-off switch. You can see it in this old photo.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #532 on: June 27, 2014, 11:13:38 PM »
2nd try "You've already posted this".....BS. Something needs to be done to fix this!

JD;

My cockpit is pretty tight so all the important controls should be within reach. My brake is in the usual 3- pedal position-- foot operated. I appreciate your feedback as well as all those who have commented.

BR;

I have a fire sensor made by Kidde Aerospace that I plan to install in the firewall. It will monitor the engine bay and alert if it detects a flame. I won't have time to have it working until next year, though. The indication is by a bright indicator showing "FIRE".

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #533 on: June 30, 2014, 09:38:56 PM »
My friend Jeff Gamble told me about a place here in Tucson who he has had do some plating on a few of his old Porsche parts. He said that they could do Zinc plating and didn't mind doing small stuff for car guys. I had stopped at Arizona Metal Transfer last week and talked to him about doing a few of my parts in Zinc with a gold Iridite passivation. I got my parts back this morning and they look good.

A few things couldn't be painted because they were a close fit and the thickness of primer & paint would have too much buildup to fit back together. The other stuff was just for appearance. I know the salt will wreak havoc with the plating but it will look good for a while; after that I can paint most of it.

The one part in a photo is an upper mounting bracket for my rear coil-over. The other photo shows both those brackets, a shifter, an intermediate shaft in my steering column, and two mounts for the rear fiberglass body section.

All this little stuff eats up time.  :-(

Offline tauruck

« Reply #534 on: July 01, 2014, 12:05:20 AM »
That looks great Neil.

What gearbox does the shift lever go to?.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #535 on: July 01, 2014, 12:51:24 AM »
Mike;

The gearshift lever goes to a complicated rod shifter connected to a Porsche G50 transaxle turned upside down. ..so I have 5 speeds forward instead of in reverse.  :-D

Offline Freud

« Reply #536 on: July 01, 2014, 03:07:26 PM »
I like the 5 speeds in reverse. The rev limiter wouldn't be so hard to deal with that way.

Rentals rev limiters just limit reverse speed testing.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #537 on: July 01, 2014, 04:08:43 PM »
I like the 5 speeds in reverse. The rev limiter wouldn't be so hard to deal with that way.

Rentals rev limiters just limit reverse speed testing.

FREUD

I think that is an open record-- go for it Freud!  :cheers:

Offline Freud

« Reply #538 on: July 01, 2014, 06:02:46 PM »
THANKS Neil.

I'll tell Mom that you said I should go for it.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline tauruck

« Reply #539 on: July 05, 2014, 01:10:57 AM »
This is why I asked Neil, I did these for my Hurst shifter a while back and was thinking one might work for you?.