Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 788468 times)

Offline DND

Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #285 on: March 14, 2013, 09:10:34 AM »
Hi Neil

Do you remember Olie Olsen's T70 lola at the 68' Riverside Can-am, he did a great job putting the car together for driver Rick Muther

It was Fly Yellow with some gold ano on the dash stuff and what a looker it was, Olie and i installed the dyno at Al Bartz's new shop in the first part of 68'.

Olie was a neat guy to work with as we both liked neat stuff with a little polish too.

Don

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #286 on: March 14, 2013, 09:42:14 AM »
Neil
I learned years ago when I had my body shop to open the oxygen some before you light the torch. Flame won't be exactly right but with practice be pretty close and no smoke.
I agree. Black is menacing. Cool build.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #287 on: March 14, 2013, 11:41:54 AM »
I do have plans to paint my chassis yellow but I like the sinister look of black. It contrasts nicely with the stark white of the salt, too.

I try to crank on a little O2 before lighting my torch but it either makes a big "bang" or creates soot. Oh well...

Don, I wasn't involved in Can-Am in '68-- only during the '72- '73 seasons.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline DND

« Reply #288 on: March 14, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »
By 72' Penske was killing the series with his German steamrollers with 1000 plus hp that never broke, sure pit an end to a great racing show till then.

Don

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #289 on: March 14, 2013, 12:19:15 PM »
Dod,

The Porsche 917-30 was fun to watch, though. Bob could out brake it and out corner it but after the corner, there was a big bang from the turbos and it was gone. The 917-10s were a nightmare to change transaxle gears on compared to the MacLaren's Hewland. I pittied those Porsche mechanics.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #290 on: March 15, 2013, 08:14:26 PM »
The fiberglass rear cockpit bulkhead had to be cut into two pieces due to the addition of the roll cage so it was necessary to make two plates to splice them back together. I made them out of some scrap 0.040" 6061-T6 and riveted them to the bottom part of the bulkhead with 1/8" Avex rivets and, since I wanted the upper part to be removable, I placed self-locking 10-32 clip nuts over the edges and fastened them with Phillips- head titanium screws. The plate was done as usual-- clean, phosphoric acid etch, and then a coat of zinc chromate.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
The stock Mirage door latches are installed at the rear of the swing- up doors; the bearclaw latch is in the fixed fiberglass body and the striker pin is in the door. This works OK for the stock setup but I need to change this latch arrangement for two reasons:

1. The bearclaw is slightly off the travel arc of my doors now that I’ve made them into a one- piece gull-wing type.

2. I think that for safety reasons, the door needs to be latched at its forward edge so that it can’t be pulled up by high-speed aerodynamic forces. I remember what happened to Bruce MacLaren.

If possible, I’ll put latches on the forward edges as well as on the rear edges of the doors—they should hold the doors solidly in place.

I bought four brand-new surplus Hartwell H430 trigger latches that I thought would work very well in this application but it looks like they won’t be suitable after all. They would be great for opening the doors from the outside, but I need to be able to pop the latches open from the inside of the car as well and I haven’t been able to work out how to trigger them from inside the car.

I think I can adapt the bearclaw latches to do the job; by mounting them in the doors and placing the striker pin in the fixed bodywork, both latches can be opened simultaneously by a rod or cable from inside or outside. Getting out of this race car without any unnecessary fumbling around is important—it might be on fire.

I ordered a L & R Slim-Line latch with pins and mounting plates from Speedway Motors—enough for one door. If it is satisfactory, I’ll do the passenger- side door as well later on. These Slim- Line latches are a bit smaller than the originals so they should be easier to mount in the doors. Photos will be forthcoming as this project gets underway.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #292 on: March 27, 2013, 08:55:06 PM »
Here are a few pictures of the driver's side gull-wing door. The bear claw latches are installed in the forward and rear edges of the door to keep it securely fastened. They will be opened simultaneously by rotating the inside door handle up. Man, I hate fiberglass work! :x

Regards, Neil

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #293 on: March 31, 2013, 04:11:22 PM »
Now for the other part of the door latches-- the striker pin that the bear claw snaps around to secure the door shut. I reinforced the fiberglass door jam with 0.040" 6061-T6 aluminum riveted on with 1/8" Avex rivets. The strikers are 3/8"-18 stainless socket head cap screws with 3/8" IDx1/2" OD steel bushing sleeves. It turned out that the striker pins from Speedway Motors were not long enough to engage the bear claws properly. I did use their backing plates; they are secured with 1/4"-20 stainless button head cap screws.

As usual, the aluminum was treated with a phosphoric acid solution and finished with yellow zinc chromate primer.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #294 on: April 01, 2013, 12:22:09 AM »
Neil, methinks this be a show winner before anything else. I'm sure it's been said before but your attention to detail is top notch. Another fiberglass hater :-D. Could you by any chance be working with chopped strand mat?. :evil:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #295 on: April 01, 2013, 11:49:28 AM »
Thanks, Tauruck, but it won't ever get an invitation to Monterey! The Mirage body is made of hand-laid woven fabric with a bit of mat here and there for reinforcement.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #296 on: April 02, 2013, 04:00:37 AM »
I'm not too sure about that Neil. Monterey should be honoured. It may not be Moal Coachworks but we all know that when you post pics they show top class workmanship. Who uses self etch primer here?. Manta22, that's who. If you need advice on glass you can PM or email me anytime. I hate it too. :-D

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #297 on: April 02, 2013, 09:47:07 PM »
I did a little on the car today-- made a couple of door latch release rods out of 3/8"x 0.028" 304 stainless tubing. To accommodate the ability to adjust the length of the rods, I braze welded steel 10-32 nuts to the ends of the rods so that I could use a threaded clevis in each end. At first I considered just using JB Weld to attach the ends but I thought better of it when I realized that if the bond failed, I couldn't get out of the car!

Since the door must be able to be released both from inside and outside, I came up with an aerodynamic low-drag handle. This is a short section of carbon fiber airfoil that I cut from a longer piece of surplus stuff that I bought about 10 years ago. I think it was from a cruise missile or something like that. Whatever...

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #298 on: April 02, 2013, 10:07:03 PM »
Boy I sure do like the way you whittle stuff Neil. Yup JB weld has its place and that ain't one of them. :-D

Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Geo

« Reply #299 on: April 02, 2013, 11:04:40 PM »
from a cruise missile or something like that. Whatever...

Neil!

Whatever.... hell! Your addition of all this un-obtanium is so freeking cool! I can't wait to see what's next.

Geo