Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 788565 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1845 on: September 14, 2021, 12:04:13 AM »
I saw and heard the run - and THAT was a thrill!. When Neil went to what I thought was 3rd gear, the revs dropped off the table. Turns out he dropped it into 5th, but my first thought was, "Whoa Nellie, that's a wide-ratio box!"
I think "Red Hat" Ross and Neil were the happiest campers on the salt this weekend.
Congratulationa, Neil!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1846 on: September 14, 2021, 12:57:46 AM »
Excellent! 

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #1847 on: September 14, 2021, 09:08:41 AM »
Neil,
Congratulations, looks like you had a really nice first run on the salt.

Extrapolating from your 5633rpm/150 mph calculation to 157.5 mph would give 5914 rpm or, a 23% error.  This couldn?t be accounted for by tire growth alone. Time to count engine turns vs. wheel turns to verify 5th gear ratio.  Also, is the tach calibrated?  Or, maybe you have invented negative wheel slip!

The car felt stable but wandered a bit at high speed

Some things come to mind on this. As you mention, front toe setting, but also..
Rear toe?  Front and rear bump steer?  What is F/R weight distribution and has the CG/CP issue been satisfactorily evaluated?

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1848 on: September 14, 2021, 10:10:23 AM »
Congrats on your successful run. I wandered around your car as we too waited out the wind delay, but never saw anyone around the car.  Disappointed that I didn't get to meet you.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #1849 on: September 14, 2021, 10:12:07 AM »
 IO your post was somewhat confusing that suggested 150 to 157 took 23% difference. Actually you were calculating from Neil's posted 4800 to get the 157 number which would be as you suggest and not within tire growth area. 150 to 157 is ~5% and within tire growth area. As you suggest there is a gear/tire miscalculation somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 10:38:54 AM by jacksoni »
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1850 on: September 14, 2021, 10:27:01 AM »
Congratulations Neil... nice first pass....
All cars wander a little on the salt... the trick is to let them wander a little, not fight them too much...
Lots of chassis things you could check... any bump steer, front or rear is bad... I don't remember seeing if you had it on scales to check wheel weights...
My calculator is generally accurate... post up what you think you have and we can run the numbers... to get a good diameter don't trust posted size... run a circumference tape... doesn't take much to pick up some speed...
It's been a long journey to here, now the real  fun begins... it's harvest time....   :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1851 on: September 14, 2021, 10:48:47 AM »
About the car hunting some:  Sounds like what I describe as "I had to do a lot of steering to go straight".  So much fun!

And now comes the chain-yanking:  From what I heard in the video, you might have attended the "Al Teague/Carl Heap School of Gear Shifting" - although you did explain later on...

But dang, that must have been fun.  I enjoyed just watching.  Thanks and best wishes for next time, too. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1852 on: September 14, 2021, 12:31:47 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I still have a smile on my face this morning. I'll unload my truck and roll the car off the trailer later today. We drove straight home to Tucson on Sunday and I was too tired to tackle that yesterday.

My F & R suspension geometry is very good, with very little bump steer but I have not adjusted its weight balance yet. The feeling in the car at speed was like driving on the freeway in a moderate crosswind- not alarming but I could feel the car move a bit and I gave the steering very little correction. I'd like to run it on asphalt to see if it feels the same or if it is something peculiar to driving on salt.

The first thing I'll do to check my speed vs RPM spreadsheet calculation is to double-check the equation and then check the data inputs. If those look OK, I'll measure tire circumference and actual gear ratios. I did calibrate my tach with a function generator and frequency counter- it is accurate. I short-shifted to 5th because the engine had more than enough power to get up to 150.

Next year can't come soon enough!
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline JimL

« Reply #1853 on: September 14, 2021, 12:59:45 PM »
Neil, many years ago, I visited Dennis Aase (and his brother) to talk about his Toyota MR2 record of over 200 mph.

He said that running a short wheelbase, rear engine car was "just like putting the front bumper against a telephone pole, and then trying to stay behind the pole at full throttle...in high gear...on ice."

He did show me a lot of ballast in the front end, added after his first trial runs.

It was good to see your first runs were successful.  These salt flats projects are the longest of our lives, and most folks don't understand.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1854 on: October 03, 2021, 08:35:43 PM »
Jim, I added the tail fins and the largest legal rear spoiler that I could so I think I had some significant downforce working to keep me going in a straight line.

We returned home from Bonneville, cleaned up the car a bit and yesterday took it to a small local car show. Now we are back home; time to unload it once more from my trailer and roll it into the shop.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1855 on: October 05, 2021, 02:57:27 PM »

The Pot-O'-Gold at the end of the rainbow.......

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1856 on: October 05, 2021, 03:07:16 PM »
Neil, I think that might be the reverse.... it's the self-emptying pot you've filled with gold and need to keep doing so to feed your addiction....  :laugh:
Nice pic  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1857 on: October 05, 2021, 04:39:12 PM »
Somebody fill me in -- I'm not authorized to have a Rule Book any more.  The SCTA website doesn't have the records (at least where I can access them).  So, what the current B/GMS record?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1858 on: October 05, 2021, 05:25:52 PM »
Neil, I think that might be the reverse.... it's the self-emptying pot you've filled with gold and need to keep doing so to feed your addiction....  :laugh:
Nice pic  :cheers:

It's the pot I've been pouring my gold into for years, Bob.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #1859 on: October 05, 2021, 05:36:56 PM »
252.955 Stan.