Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 788318 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1785 on: May 04, 2020, 01:44:22 PM »
Neil,
Great video !!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1786 on: May 04, 2020, 02:24:06 PM »
Thanks, guys. I value your opinions. I tried to make it technical enough to be informative but still interesting to non-racers.

Getting to drive a car of your own creation on the salt at Bonneville is a reward of its own- a record would be nice but the mere experience of participating in something you've read about ever since you picked up your first copy of Hot Rod Magazine in the Frankfurt High School library in 1956 is something I cannot explain with words.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #1787 on: May 04, 2020, 03:34:47 PM »
Been there - done some of dat! :cheers: :cheers:
[Still doing it! :-P]
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1788 on: May 04, 2020, 03:35:40 PM »
Well, if there's a record in his future, he'd better re-gear it.  252 at Bonneville and 220 at El Mirage ? both by a couple of rookies, Jesel & Cook.

Don't tell anybody, but Neil has found the hidden speed secret of having a black vehicle.  An old Smokey Unicycle trick ? the surface gets so hot it forces the air away from the surface and good for at least a .001% speed increase. (Your results may vary.  Not useable on cloudy days.  Nimbus clouds preferred.  Will not work in darkness.  Only applicable in mid-August with 1% humidity and no surface moisture.)  Plus it keeps the pussies away that are afraid to touch the surface and work on the car in the pits. 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #1789 on: May 04, 2020, 04:22:59 PM »
A couple of rookies, Jesel & Cook LMAO rolling on the floor.  :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1790 on: May 04, 2020, 05:25:55 PM »
Thanks, guys. I value your opinions. I tried to make it technical enough to be informative but still interesting to non-racers.

Getting to drive a car of your own creation on the salt at Bonneville is a reward of its own- a record would be nice but the mere experience of participating in something you've read about ever since you picked up your first copy of Hot Rod Magazine in the Frankfurt High School library in 1956 is something I cannot explain with words.

Neil:  Exactly, design and build a car with your own hands, tow is all the way across the United States, (from Fla.) and then have the nerve to drive it!

I had the same feeling of arriving on that sacred salt, driving where other greats had gone before me, fulfilled a life long dream to get there....now all I need is to get back.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1791 on: May 04, 2020, 07:01:20 PM »
Well, Neil's done something I'd have no idea how to ? make a video.  And a fine one at that.  I'm looking forward to seeing one from the cockpit on his next attempt.

(I also think gearing for a respectable first try to break 200 is a realistic goal.  His car certainly looks capable of it.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1792 on: May 05, 2020, 10:48:20 AM »
Tom Burkland-

This was how I originally built my engine. The MFI looked like it was going to be too hard to learn so I switched to an 850 Holley on an Edelbrock 4+4 manifold. It's now running a Proform 850 but in the future I may switch back to the Crower. Looks cool, too.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1793 on: May 05, 2020, 12:20:15 PM »
We had Crower injection on a big block Chevy sprint car and I loved working with that.

Quite a while earlier a friend and I ran a 215 ci Buick in a Group Seven sports racing car (Can-Am type car) with similar Hilborn injection. Using the correct fuel pump it worked really well in a road race application. With the latter I added a primer system because race officials weren't always big on me spraying gas into the injectors to start it on the grid.

I'd run the injection just for the looks and I think you'd find the performance in the injection as well. You should be able to find someone in your area whose run similar systems and once you've learned to work with them they're easy to work with. I might even look at converting one of those systems to EFI further down the line if I were playing with it.

I really liked the video Neil. Well done!

Pete

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1794 on: May 05, 2020, 01:04:39 PM »
Thanks, Pete.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #1795 on: May 05, 2020, 01:34:24 PM »
Liked the vid; certainly gave this newbie some inspiration and given the challenges of getting a car you built yourself to the salt, I shall set the first 'target' at 65mph. No disrespect intended - I get it, and bringing something from the UK I suspect a while shed load of things can and will go wrong. Your beastie looks proper fast and the engineering looks solid - doesn't Holley or Edelbrock do a self learning EFI 'carb' set-up - does that make sense in your situation?.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1796 on: May 05, 2020, 01:43:30 PM »
Neil,
Duke and I run Kinsler mechanical injection on our little 1000 cc Kawasaki and have found that it works very well and most of all it is simple! We run on the main return jet only and do not run a secondary bypass which may be something you would need on your small block. As we run in the fuel class the injection is perfect for adding some "soda pop". Kinsler provides great support and has provided us with our original straight methanol combination and has also provided us with the set up to run as much as 20% nitro. We added an exhaust 02 sniffer last year and it is a real assist in getting the jetting right.

If you happen to re-install the Crower set up I would highly recommend going to a good engine shop (someone that builds sprint car engines) and have them work with you on the set up. You will never get it close otherwise.

Rex

Looking forward to seeing you at the salt this year. Are you doing Speed Week or World of Speed?
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1797 on: May 05, 2020, 02:44:54 PM »
Rex, I have all the Kisler stuff for the Crower. This engine had been in a sprint car when I bought it. I may also revert to its dry-sump oil system as well. I built in an oil tank when I built this chassis so it's there already but unused right now.

According to Donovan records this block was originally sold to Dan Gurney's "All- American Racers", for their "stock block" Indy car where it was entered as a "Chevrolet".

Regarding an O2 sensor, how far from the exhaust port can it be mounted? As far as in the collector, like a probe?

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #1798 on: May 05, 2020, 05:52:58 PM »
     Some good info on O2 installation here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyv0wh3fsLM 

Not mentioned there but it's a good idea for sensor longevity to have it installed pointing down somewhere between the 10 and 2 o'clock positions to avoid condensation forming around the tip and causing issues when the heat element first comes on during start up.

Another A+ grade on the video from here on the ridge!

Ed
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 06:08:42 PM by RidgeRunner »

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1799 on: May 06, 2020, 08:57:34 AM »
Tom Burkland-

This was how I originally built my engine. The MFI looked like it was going to be too hard to learn so I switched to an 850 Holley on an Edelbrock 4+4 manifold. It's now running a Proform 850 but in the future I may switch back to the Crower. Looks cool, too.

Neil:

Try this, https://racecarbook.com/shop/fuel-injection-racing-secrets-2nd-edition/

And https://airdensityonline.com/track-results/Bonneville_Speedway/

Working through the same concerns with a SBC and a Enderle bug catcher.

BR

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM