Author Topic: 1986 design by Alex Tremulis for Kitty O'Neil  (Read 12418 times)

Ratliff

1986 design by Alex Tremulis for Kitty O'Neil
« on: June 05, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
Material courtesy Ky Michaelson

Twin jet land speed car using General Electric J-85 engines with NACA flush air inlets.

Offline interested bystander

Re: 1986 design by Alex Tremulis for Kitty O'Neil
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 01:18:16 AM »
And showing this ancient concept has what sort of application in todays's world?

Stimulus to the hoard of people waiting for a messiah to guide them to  jet car Land Racing fame?

Middle-aged female ex-rocket car driver has possible future ride- with AARP backing?

Tribute to dead, somewhat wacko, motorsports designer, Tremulis?

You, RATLIFF, have acesss to  semi-respectable Rocket Car promoter Michaelson's files without his knowledge?

None of the above, but merely taking up Landracing.com space that could be used for something that applies to the 21st century?

I know Lettman has TEN every night, but this is as far as I could go before I stuck my finger down my throat and expelled the remains of a pretty fair lengua taco.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Ratliff

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 07:21:47 AM »
And showing this ancient concept has what sort of application in todays's world?

Stimulus to the hoard of people waiting for a messiah to guide them to  jet car Land Racing fame?

Middle-aged female ex-rocket car driver has possible future ride- with AARP backing?

Tribute to dead, somewhat wacko, motorsports designer, Tremulis?

You, RATLIFF, have acesss to  semi-respectable Rocket Car promoter Michaelson's files without his knowledge?

None of the above, but merely taking up Landracing.com space that could be used for something that applies to the 21st century?

I know Lettman has TEN every night, but this is as far as I could go before I stuck my finger down my throat and expelled the remains of a pretty fair lengua taco.

Alex Tremulis. A genius.

Michaelson did not want one of the last major designs of the Da Vinci of automotive styling to be forgotten.

Anyone so out of the loop they think I exaggerate by applying "genius" or "Da Vinci" to Tremulis merely has to google the name "Alex Tremulis."

http://new.idsa.org/webmodules/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=2039&z=60

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Tremulis

And in 1986, Kitty O'Neil was only around 38.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:36:04 AM by Ratliff »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:40:42 AM »
Tongue taco? -- How sensual!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Ratliff

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 12:37:23 PM »

Kitty O'Neil, holder of the current FIA half kilo standing start record, is currently the last American to set an FIA jet or rocket record. She is the first woman to go 300 mph on a dragstrip or in the quarter mile. She is the only woman to clock speeds of 400 mph and 500 mph. She holds the AMA/FIM flying kilo woman's land speed record of 512 mph, set on the Alvord desert in 1976 with Bill Frederick's SMI Motivator rocket car.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 12:46:35 PM by Ratliff »

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 12:13:28 AM »
Boy do I love my Rat "Ignore". Thanx Jon for poining it out................
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jl222

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 01:13:45 AM »
  Years back two friends were trying to qualify over 175mph for the long course "Cecatto and Jones" D gas altered around 1968,after many tries Alex Trimules gave them a few ideas and they qualified in their studebacker.
  In 1971 this car with 300in. naturally asperated engine went 201 mph! Thats 36 years ago!
  Kugel and Lefevers 300+mph gas coupe has naca ducts,and i wonder if that streamliner that Michael posted in build diaries will use a naca duct for their supercharger inlet.
   I believe we can learn much from the past.
   How many years did we go without intercoolers? WW2 aero engines had them by 1943.I saw a picture of a 1929 Miller sprint car with an intercooler on the side of the engine. That car held the lap record at Ascot untill 1954.

JL222

Ratliff

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 10:00:41 AM »
  Years back two friends were trying to qualify over 175mph for the long course "Cecatto and Jones" D gas altered around 1968,after many tries Alex Trimules gave them a few ideas and they qualified in their studebacker.
  In 1971 this car with 300in. naturally asperated engine went 201 mph! Thats 36 years ago!
  Kugel and Lefevers 300+mph gas coupe has naca ducts,and i wonder if that streamliner that Michael posted in build diaries will use a naca duct for their supercharger inlet.
   I believe we can learn much from the past.
   How many years did we go without intercoolers? WW2 aero engines had them by 1943.I saw a picture of a 1929 Miller sprint car with an intercooler on the side of the engine. That car held the lap record at Ascot untill 1954.

JL222

In Lew Arrington's "Captain America" rocket Funny Car, NACA ducts in the roof were used to feed slots under the chute cans to aid deployment.

Ratliff

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 10:20:44 AM »

Kitty O'Neil in Ky Michaelson's rocket dragster.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 11:43:03 AM »
Why jet LSR cars? Rockets seem so much easier.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 11:49:24 AM »
Throttle control....  :roll:  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Ratliff

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 12:01:09 PM »
Why jet LSR cars? Rockets seem so much easier.

It just totally amazes me that people still build jet land speed cars. The Blue Flame rocket car driven by Gary Gabelich hit 650 mph after only 7,000 feet. Attached is a rendering of a fantastic rocket car design done by Dick Keller in 1974. This was to be a 240 inch wheelbase car with an empty weight of only 1,800 lbs. That's only about HALF the weight of JUST the engine in the Breedlove/Fossett car!

Even the low energy steam rocket car I discuss in another thread would be a much smaller car than either the Breedlove/Fossett car or the North American Eagle F-104 car.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4008.15.html

With a weight of about 7.5 lbs per square foot for 3/16" steel sheet, a tank 25 feet long and 2 feet in diameter would have about 1,180.125 lbs of steel in its skin. Don't know what the weight from the end caps would be. So with a configuration of three 25 foot long 2 foot diameter tanks arranged two on top and one below (to get a V bottom), the steam rocket car using steel tanks would have about 3,540.375 lbs of steel in the tank skins (about the same weight as a J-79 jet engine). Using titanium instead of steel for the tanks would cut the tank weight in half, so the 4,000 lbs empty weight used in Craig Farnsworth's performance calculations would be attainable and very realistic. Cockpit and nose cone would probably add about another ten feet to the fuselage.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 12:23:57 PM by Ratliff »